•   
  •   

World Prince Harry blamed social media for the Capitol siege and opened up about the online harassment Meghan Markle faced

15:12  23 january  2021
15:12  23 january  2021 Source:   businessinsider.com.au

Kate Middleton was reportedly surprised when Meghan Markle and Prince Harry sent her birthday gifts because she 'wasn't expecting anything from the couple'

  Kate Middleton was reportedly surprised when Meghan Markle and Prince Harry sent her birthday gifts because she 'wasn't expecting anything from the couple' Kate Middleton was reportedly surprised to receive gifts from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry for her birthday on January 9. An anonymous source told US Weekly that Middleton "wasn't expecting anything from the couple."The publication reports that Kate Middleton spoke with her parents and Queen Elizabeth II on the special day, before opening a card and a selection of gifts sent by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Joe Giddins - WPA Pool/Getty ImagesPrince Harry has called the Capitol riot, orchestrated by a mob of Trump supporters, “a literal attack on democracy in the Harry added that the riot was “organized on social media , which is an issue of violent extremism. It is widely acknowledged that social media

Prince Harry says social media misinformation contributed to the U.S. Capitol attacks and long-standing “ harassment ” of Meghan Markle . That was ‘news’ to us, bearing in mind we have no social media to quit, nor have we for the past 10 months.”

Prince Harry standing in front of a crowd: Prince Harry attends the launch of Team UK for the Invictus Games on October 29, 2019 in London, England. Prince Harry attends the launch of Team UK for the Invictus Games on October 29, 2019 in London, England.
  • Prince Harry blamed social media for the Capitol riots, which he described as "violent extremism."
  • Harry said social media companies should be held accountable after rioters used them to organise the attack.
  • The duke also blamed the media for creating a "false narrative" about Meghan Markle.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Prince Harry opened up about the harmful effects of social media in a rare candid interview.

Speaking to Fast Company, the Duke of Sussex blamed social media platforms for allowing "violent extremism." He shared details of the online abuse he and his wife, Meghan Markle, have been subjected to in recent years.

Prince Harry and Prince William Charities Scrutinized Over Funds Transfer

  Prince Harry and Prince William Charities Scrutinized Over Funds Transfer A regulatory case began six months ago into claims the charities misused $350,000, but they will not face a full inquiry.The claims were first reported six months ago, however the regulator's decision to pursue an ongoing "regulatory compliance case" had not previously been disclosed.

Prince Harry is doubling down on his calls to reform social media two weeks after an angry mob staged a deadly siege at the U.S. Capitol . Many who laid siege to the Capitol did so on the erroneous belief that the 2020 election was stolen from former President Donald Trump, a conspiracy theory that

Harry 's war Silicon Valley: Prince blames social media for the Capitol riot and the 'destruction of the Amazon' and says we're all part of a Big Harry said he'd been thinking a lot about the Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park which he used to go past 'all the time'. He said 'we should avoid buying into the

Read more:

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry broke a world record when they launched their Instagram account. Now, the couple has quit social media due to the 'hate' they experienced.

The duke highlighted the role social media played in the Capitol siege on January 6, after Trump supporters and members of extremist groups used mainstream platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok to organise the riots in protest of Joe Biden's election win.

"We have seen time and again what happens when the real-world cost of misinformation is disregarded," Harry told the publication. "There is no way to downplay this. There was a literal attack on democracy in the United States, organised on social media, which is an issue of violent extremism."

Meghan Markle's Tabloid Privacy Case Could Be Over in Just Two Days

  Meghan Markle's Tabloid Privacy Case Could Be Over in Just Two Days Meghan Markle hopes to end her tabloid privacy case with a resounding victory during a two-day hearing next week that would avoid both her and her father testifying.The Duchess of Sussex launched her lawsuit in a hail of publicity in October 2019 alongside a public statement from Prince Harry alleging bullying by the tabloid press.

The Duke of Sussex weighed in on the recent Capitol riots in the US that resulted in five people dead and then-president Donald Trump being impeached a second time by the House of Representatives.

Even though Meghan Markle and Prince Harry didn’t attend the inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, they were watching the festivities from afar. The FBI has accused three members of The Oath Keepers of conspiring to attack the capitol weeks before the siege .

Others used right-wing messaging apps like Parler, Gab, and Telegram to outline plans to storm the building.

Read more:

'Buy more guns and ammo': The far-right is using messaging apps like Telegram to organise after the Capitol riot

Harry added that we should "avoid buying into the idea that social media is the ultimate modern-day public square and that any attempt to ask platforms to be accountable to the landscape they have created is an attack or restriction of speech."

"I think it's a false choice to say you have to pick between free speech or a more compassionate and trustworthy digital world. They are not mutually exclusive," he said.

Prince Harry says the media's 'false narrative' became the 'mothership for all of the harassment' he and Meghan faced

The royal also spoke about the online abuse he and the Duchess of Sussex have faced since they married in 2018.

Harry said he was surprised to witness "how my story had been told one way, my wife's story had been told one way, and then our union sparked something that made the telling of that story very different."

Meghan Markle's estranged father Thomas Markle says he's making a documentary to 'figure out what went wrong' between them

  Meghan Markle's estranged father Thomas Markle says he's making a documentary to 'figure out what went wrong' between them Thomas Markle told The Sun that he's working with a cinematographer on a documentary about his life with estranged daughter Meghan Markle. "We had a good life together, up through her first marriage and her move to Canada. Then a new story begins!" Thomas Markle told the newspaper. He added that he hopes it will help "figure out what went wrong" in his relationship with the Duchess of Sussex. They have not spoken since before her royal wedding in 2018. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

© Getty prince harry meghan markle social media latest. "That was 'news' to us, bearing in mind we have no social media to quit, nor have we for the past 10 months." Data from offline data sources can be combined with your online activity in support of one or more purposes.

Even though Meghan Markle and Prince Harry didn’t attend the inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, they were watching the festivities from afar. The FBI has accused three members of The Oath Keepers of conspiring to attack the capitol weeks before the siege .

"That false narrative became the mothership for all of the harassment you're referring to. It wouldn't have even begun had our story just been told truthfully," he said.

The duchess recently opened up about the effect online trolling had on her mental health during her time as a working member of the royal family. Speaking on the Teenager Therapy podcast in October, Markle said she was the most trolled person in the world in 2019 â€" something which she described as "almost unsurvivable."

Read more:

Meghan Markle says she was 'the most trolled person in the entire world' in 2019

Speaking to Fast Company, Harry responded to reports that he and Markle have decided to quit social media following the online abuse.

The Sunday Times reported earlier this month that the couple â€" who stopped using Instagram in March 2020 â€" would not return to social media.

"We woke up one morning a couple of weeks ago to hear that a Rupert Murdoch newspaper said we were evidently quitting social media. That was 'news' to us, bearing in mind we have no social media to quit, nor have we for the past 10 months," Harry said.

"We will revisit social media when it feels right for usâ€"perhaps when we see more meaningful commitments to change or reformâ€"but right now, we've thrown much of our energy into learning about this space and how we can help," he added.

Meghan Markle: why she refuses to accompany Prince Harry to England .
© BestImage Meghan Markle: why she refuses to accompany Prince Harry to England The return of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to England was to take place in next June, on the occasion of the hundredth birthday of Prince Philip and the 95 years of Queen Elizabeth II. Except that Meghan Markle will ultimately not accompany her husband.

usr: 0
This is interesting!