World China rejects Uighurs genocide charge, invites UN’s rights chief
Dutch parliament says China’s treatment of Uighurs is genocide
The Dutch motion says China’s actions in Xinjiang, including birth control measures, fall under UN genocide convention.“A genocide on the Uighur minority is occurring in China,” the Dutch motion said, stopping short of directly saying that the Chinese government was responsible.
China has rejected “slanderous attacks” about conditions for Muslim Uighurs and other minorities living in its Xinjiang region, saying that they enjoyed freedom of religion and other fundamental rights.
Foreign Minister Wang Yi, addressing the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva on Monday, said there were 24,000 mosques in the western region, adding that “basic facts show that there has never been so-called genocide, forced labour or religious oppression in Xinjiang”.
UN rights chief decries abuses in Xinjiang, arrests in Hong Kong
Michelle Bachelet wants an independent assessment of situation in Muslim Uighur homeland as her China visit is delayed.Bachelet said that given reports about the use of arbitrary detention, ill-treatment, sexual violence and forced labour against Muslim Uighur minorities, there was a need for a thorough and independent assessment of the situation.
“The door to Xinjiang is always open. People from many countries who have visited Xinjiang have learned the facts and the truth on the ground. China also welcomes the High Commissioner for Human Rights to visit Xinjiang,” Wang said, referring to UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet, whose office has been negotiating terms of access to the country.
Activists and UN rights experts have said that at least one million Muslims are imprisoned in camps in the remote western region.
China denies abuses and says its camps provide vocational training and are needed to fight extremism.
On Monday, the United Kingdom’s foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, denounced torture, forced labour and sterilisations that he said were taking place against Muslim Uighurs on an “industrial scale”.
Canada weighs calling China's Uighur treatment a genocide
Canada and other nations are considering labelling China's treatment of its Uighur minority a genocide, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday. This comes after Donald Trump's outgoing administration last month said Beijing's incarceration of mostly Muslim minorities in its far western Xinjiang region amounted to genocide and crimes against humanity. "It's a word that is extremely loaded and is certainly something that we should be looking at in the case of the Uighurs," Trudeau told a news conference.
“The situation in Xinjiang is beyond the pale,” Raab told the Geneva forum where China is among the 47 member states.
“The reported abuses – which include torture, forced labour and forced sterilisation of women – are extreme and they are extensive. They are taking place on an industrial scale,” he said.
Raab called for Bachelet or another independent expert to be given “urgent and unfettered access” to Xinjiang and said that there should be a resolution at the council to this effect.
Last month, a bipartisan commission of the United States Congress said in a new report that China has possibly committed “genocide” in its treatment of Uighurs and other minority Muslims in its western region of Xinjiang.
The Congressional-Executive Commission on China (CECC) said new evidence emerged in the past year that “crimes against humanity – and possibly genocide – are occurring”.
In December last year, Human Rights Watch said a big-data programme in China’s Xinjiang “arbitrarily selects” Muslims for detention, flagging behaviour such as wearing a veil, studying the Quran or going on a Hajj pilgrimage as reasons for arrest.
US President Joe Biden has endorsed a last-minute determination by the Trump administration that China has committed genocide in Xinjiang and has said Washington must be prepared to impose costs on China.
Rwanda. French justice seized of the leak of genocidaires allowed in 1994 .
© Simon Wohlfahrt / AFP This telegram, unveiled by Mediapart and consulted by AFP on February 15, was found in the archives of an adviser to President François Mitterrand . Associations and survivors of the genocide in Rwanda are asking French justice for new investigations after the discovery of a telegram.