World US to Yemen’s Houthis: Stop attacking, start negotiating
Saudi Arabia ‘intercepts ballistic missile attack over Riyadh’
Saudi-led coalition blames Yemen’s Houthis as state TV broadcasts footage of explosions in the air over Riyadh.Brigadier General Turki al-Malki, a spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, said in a statement that the Houthis launched a ballistic missile towards Riyadh and three booby-trapped drones towards the province of Jizan, with a fourth towards the southwestern city of Khamis Mushait.
The United States says the Houthi armed group must show willingness to engage in a political process to achieve peace in Yemen, after weeks of renewed missile and drone attacks carried out by the Iran-aligned rebels on Saudi Arabia.
The leaders of the Houthi movement “need to quite simply stop attacking and start negotiating”, Department of State spokesman Ned Price said on Monday.
Missiles, drones: the Houthis continue their strategy of harassment in Saudi Arabia
© Provided by La Tribune The Houthi rebels regularly attack Saudi Arabia with missiles and armed drones (here the Saudi evidence concerning the September attack 2019 against the oil company Aramco) One more attack. The Saudi-led coalition fighting Houthi rebels in Yemen said on Saturday it thwarted a Houthi ballistic missile attack targeting the Saudi capital Riyadh and said it destroyed five drones targeting cities in southern Saudi Arabia, reported on Saudi television. State.
Saudi Arabia intervened militarily in 2015 months after the Houthi rebels overthrew Yemen’s internationally recognised government and subsequently captured vast swaths of the country’s territory, including the capital Sanaa.
The Houthis have stepped up attacks on Saudi territory in recent weeks amid fresh diplomatic efforts by the Biden administration to end the war that has ravaged the most impoverished country in the Middle East.
The Yemeni group has defended the cross-border attacks, saying they are in response to deadly Saudi air raids in the country. On Sunday, the group launched a drone and missile attack at a Saudi oil facility in the Eastern Province, pushing global oil prices to the highest level in two years.
Yemen 'step away' from devastating famine: UN
Famine could become part of war-torn Yemen's "reality" in 2021, the UN warned Tuesday, after a donor conference raising funds to keep millions from starvation fell short by over half. The United Nations had sought Monday to raise $3.85 billion from more than 100 governments and donors, but only $1.7 billion was offered. "The prospect of more people suffering a famine has just grown exponentially," UN Development Programme chief Achim Steiner told AFP on Tuesday.
The Houthis said they also attacked military targets in the Saudi cities of Dammam, Asir and Jazan.
The Saudi-led coalition said most of the drones and missiles were intercepted en route to their targets and there were no casualties or property losses from the attacks on Sunday.
The kingdom said the Houthi attack on the Saudi Aramco facility at Ras Tanura on Sunday took aim at the security and stability of the global energy supply.
The state department said the US believed the latest attacks were by Houthis and that they were “unacceptable and dangerous” and put civilians at risk, including Americans.
The state department comments came hours before the Saudi-led coalition intercepted an armed drone launched by the Iran-aligned movement towards Khamis Mushait in southern Saudi Arabia, Saudi state media reported on Tuesday.
Last month, the US slapped sanctions on two Houthi leaders, citing their alleged roles in cross-border attacks on Saudi Arabia and shipping vessels in the Red Sea.
Houthis say US sanctions will prolong war in Yemen
The US sanctions come after the Biden administration lifted the ‘Foreign Terrorist’ designation for the group.The US announced the sanctions on Tuesday against Mansur al-Sa’adi, the Houthi Naval Forces Chief of Staff, and Ahmad Ali Ahsan al-Hamzi, the commander of Yemen’s Houthi-aligned Yemeni Air Force and Air Defense Forces, citing their alleged roles in cross-border attacks on Saudi Arabia and shipping vessels in the Red Sea.
The Houthi movement and Saudi Arabia have been engaged in tit-for-tat attacks for years, with the Iran-aligned rebels intensifying attacks in the past several weeks.
The renewed attacks on Saudi targets comes after US President Joe Biden halted support to Saudi offensive operations in Yemen’s war. Washington said, however, that it would continue to help Riyadh defend itself from regional threats.
Washington also reversed a decision by former US President Donald Trump to put Houthis on a “terror list”.
The latest escalation comes amid renewed diplomatic efforts by the US and the United Nations to reach a ceasefire that would pave the way for a resumption of UN-sponsored political talks to end the conflict.
Rights groups and international observers have criticised the Saudi-led war that has killed tens of thousands of people, displaced millions and pushed the Middle East’s poorest nation towards an unprecedented humanitarian crisis.
Offensive by Yemen’s Houthis threatens IDP camps in Marib .
Push by rebels for oil-rich Marib threatens to displace at least 385,000 people, according to the UN migration agency. Four displacement camps in the province have been abandoned since the start of the offensive, said Olivia Headon of the International Organization for Migration in Yemen. Yemen has been convulsed by civil war since 2014 when the Houthis took control of the capital of Sanaa and much of the northern part of the country, forcing the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to flee to the south, then to Saudi Arabia.