World DR Congo's Catholic church warns of 'Islamisation' in east
Vatican ruling on Bishop of Broome looms as tension builds in outback diocese
Former outback priest Matt Digges, who worked under a controversial Broome bishop for 20 years, says the Pope's decision on the bishop's future will have international implications.Bishop of Broome Christopher Saunders was sent on a six-month sabbatical in November to give the Vatican time to assess the findings of an internal investigation into his running of the remote northern diocese.
DR Congo's Catholic church on Thursday hit out at what it called "Islamisation" in the troubled east of the country, where a notorious militia group has carried out a string of massacres.
At a news conference, Congolese prelates released a message saying civilians who had escaped after being abducted by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) militia, historically a Ugandan Islamist group, had spoken of being "forced to convert to Islam".
The message denounced the "Islamisation of the region to the detriment of religious freedom."
Suspected ADF militia kill 23 in new eastern DR Congo massacre
Suspected ADF militia fighters have killed 23 people in a new massacre in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), a senior local official said Wednesday. Fighters attacked Beu Manyama-Moliso village in the restive Beni region late on Tuesday night, North Kivu provincial governor Carly Nzanzu Kasivita told AFP. The army intervened, killing two assailants, he said. "We are in mourning, the ADF carried out a raid and killed more than 20 people," said Noella Katongerwaki Muliwavyo, president of an association of grassroots groups in Beni.Beu Manyama-Moliso is a small village located in remote forests in the Beni region, close to the boundary with Ituri province.
Asked to elaborate, church spokesman Donatien Nshole said: "The problem here is a faction of Islam that forces people to become Muslim."
Nshole, an abbot, stressed that the church had "very good relations" with Islam, but described this development as "scary".
The church's peace and justice commission "is deepening its investigation into the matter," he added.
The ADF is the bloodiest among dozens of militias that roam eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, many of them a legacy of two regional wars in the 1990s.
Video: What life is like in Baghdad 18 years after U.S. invasion (NBC News)
On March 11, the United States said the ADF was linked to the Islamic State (IS) group.
The prelates' message also said thousands of people have been killed or kidnapped in the region since 2013, and at least three million people have been displaced.
Conflict and COVID driving record hunger in DR Congo, warns UN
UN agencies say DRC has the highest number of people requiring urgent food security assistance in the world.The DRC is “home to the highest number of people in urgent need of food security assistance in the world,” the World Food Programme and the Food and Agriculture Organization said on Tuesday in a joint statement, describing the scale of the crisis as “staggering”.
In the Beni region of North Kivu province alone, more than 6,000 people have been killed since 2013, while another 2,000 lives were claimed in neighbouring Ituri province just last year, Nshole said.
Around 7,500 have been kidnapped in the two regions last year, he added.
The prelates' message also denounced "the occupation of land (and) illegal exploitation of natural resources" as well as widespread torching of villages, destruction and closure of schools and health clinics, sacking of administrative buildings and the looting of livestock and farmland in the region.
After a joint mission by the Central African Catholic Church (ACEAC) and the DRC's Church (CENCO) in the region, they concluded that the Congolese army's operations had had "mixed" results.
They said the soldiers were underpaid and alleged that their pay and rations were embezzled, decreasing their motivation.
Local sources said the major cities of Beni and Butembo were "paralysed" on Monday on the first day of protest strikes over the continuing massacres of civilians which the army and UN peacekeepers have failed to stop.
Greek Orthodox Church took tens of millions in rent from aged care home at centre of deadliest COVID outbreak .
A group of taxpayer-funded aged care homes, including one that was the centre of Australia's deadliest COVID outbreak, funnelled $31 million back into the coffers of the Greek Orthodox Church.The homes include St Basil's in Melbourne, where 45 residents died in Australia's deadliest COVID outbreak.