World US jury awards $15m for lost fertility clinic eggs
Singapore egg-freezing ban forces women to head overseas
With a busy job that left little time to think about starting a family, Erica decided to sidestep Singapore's ban on egg freezing for a chance to have children later in life. Women's fertility typically begins declining from the mid-30s but freezing eggs can give them a chance to have children later. © Roslan RAHMAN Calls are growing for Singapore to loosen the rules in a bid to help boost one of the world's lowest birth rates Erica, who is not originally from Singapore but holds permanent resident status, decided to have the procedure at the age of 36 after breaking up with her boyfriend of six years.
A California jury has awarded $14.9m (£10m) to five patients who lost frozen eggs or embryos in a 2018 storage tank failure at a fertility clinic.
The cryogenic tank malfunction at the Pacific Fertility Center in San Francisco ruined some 3,500 eggs, embryos and other genetic material.
The jurors found a tank production defect was largely to blame.
This is the first case to see an award for victims of a fertility clinic freezer problem, lawyers say.
Three women and a couple will share the nearly $15m award after losing their frozen eggs and embryos, respectively. The tank manufacturer, Chart Industries Inc, will pay 90%, with the clinic being held liable for the remaining 10%.
Excluded. Domino Challenge: A famous M6 animator integrates the jury of the new program event show!
Video: M6 will broadcast the "Domino Challenge" show, presented by Stéphane Rotenberg and Issa Doumbia, Thursday, June 24 at 21:05 (Dailymotion) © Marie Etchegoyen / Nicolas Gouhier / M6 Excluded. Domino Challenge: A famous M6 animator integrates the jury of the new program event show! On June 24, M6 will kick off Domino Challenge, his summer event competition.
A Chart-made tank at the centre lost liquid nitrogen for a short period of time, which led to the destruction of some frozen material, the centre said.
Chart Industries knew there was a defect in the tank but did not recall the product, the verdict states, according to US media.
Pacific Fertility and Chart Industries did not immediately respond to a request for comment by the BBC.
Jurors found that both the centre and tank maker were negligent and caused pain and emotional distress.
Chloe Poynton, a 39-year-old who lost eggs during the malfunction described her suffering at losing the chance to have a baby, the Associated Press reported.
Vermont Nearing 80% COVID Vaccination Rate, 7900 Short of Goal to Drop Pandemic Restrictions
Nearly 7900 more Vermonters need to get at least one dose for the state to reach its goal of an 80 percent vaccination rate. The governor will then drop the remaining virus-related restrictions.Originally, Governor Phil Scott and his administration planned on lifting the remaining restrictions on July 4. If the remaining necessary population gets at least one dose beforehand, he will drop the restrictions sooner.
"It's really painful to be at a baby shower celebrating someone else's family being built and knowing inside you'll never get that," she said in court.
Dena Sharp, one of the attorneys representing the five plaintiffs, said in a statement following the verdict: "The emotion in the courtroom today was palpable."
"We have been on the front lines working with our clients for years and the impact this devastating incident had on patients' lives can't be minimised."
Hundreds of other lawsuits are also pending against the centre and the manufacturer. Trials are expected to take place later this year.
In 2018, following the 4 March malfunction, the clinic said in a statement: "We are truly sorry this happened and for the anxiety that this will surely cause."
The same day, another tank failed at a Cleveland fertility clinic, resulting in the loss of over 4,000 eggs and embryos.
Kelsea Ballerini Goes Barbie Chic at 2021 CMT Music Awards .
The country singer is turning heads on the red carpet before she co-hosts the show with Kane Brown Wednesday night.The 27-year-old singer, who is hosting the annual awards show with Kane Brown in Nashville, Tennessee on Wednesday, turned heads on the red carpet, giving us ultimate Barbie vibes. Ballerini wore a tight-fitting hot pink top, which she paired with matching pants and heels.