•   
  •   

World Italy’s Salvini due in court for blocking Open Arms from docking

13:11  23 october  2021
13:11  23 october  2021 Source:   aljazeera.com

Fears of 'chaos' as Italy adopts tough Covid pass regime

  Fears of 'chaos' as Italy adopts tough Covid pass regime Italy from Friday will require all workers to show a coronavirus health pass, one of the world's toughest anti-Covid regimes that has already sparked riots and which many fear will cause "chaos". More than 85 percent of Italians over the age of 12 have received at least one shot of a Covid-19 vaccine, making them eligible for the so-called Green Pass certificate. But according to various estimates, about 2.5 million workers, out of 23 million in total, are unvaccinated, and risk being denied access to the workplace from October 15.

Italy’s former Interior Minister Matteo Salvini is due to stand trial on Saturday in the Sicilian capital Palermo for his role in preventing the Open Arms migrant rescue ship from docking at an Italian port in 2019.

Salvini is also under investigation for another similar standoff involving the Italian coastguard ship Gregoretti that the former minister refused to allow permission to dock in the summer of 2019 [File: Faras Ghani/Al Jazeera] © Provided by Al Jazeera Salvini is also under investigation for another similar standoff involving the Italian coastguard ship Gregoretti that the former minister refused to allow permission to dock in the summer of 2019 [File: Faras Ghani/Al Jazeera]

The prosecution accuses Salvini of deprivation of liberty and abuse of authority after he prevented the Spanish aid organisation’s ship from entering a port during his time as minister.

Carrie Severino: Clarence Thomas' 30 years of fearlessness, foresight on the Supreme Court

  Carrie Severino: Clarence Thomas' 30 years of fearlessness, foresight on the Supreme Court Thirty years have passed since Clarence Thomas' confirmation to the Supreme Court, and he has amassed a record as the court’s staunchest defender of constitutional originalism.Thirty years have passed since his confirmation to the Supreme Court, and he has amassed a record as the court’s staunchest defender of constitutional originalism or interpreting the Constitution according to its original meaning. He earned that distinction by his willingness to stand up on constitutional principles even if he had to stand alone.

If found guilty, the head of the right-wing Lega party, who has built much of his political fortune on an anti-immigration campaign, could face up to 15 years in prison.

Salvini was interior minister from June 2018 to September 2019 in the first cabinet of ex-Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

Al Jazeera’s Adam Raney, reporting from Rome, said prosecutors have submitted “a list of more than two dozen witnesses to testify in this trial”.

“They are pretty high-profile, including the former PM Conte and actor Richard Gere because he volunteered for a period on one of these ships,” Raney said.

“We also expect Salvini to appear,” he added.

In August 2019, the Open Arms vessel had rescued more than 150 people in distress in the Mediterranean Sea over the course of three interventions starting on August 1, according to information supplied by the aid organisation.

It was moored off Lampedusa from around mid-August but was not allowed to dock. The sanitary situation and tension on board came to a head as desperate people kept jumping into the water in an attempt to swim ashore.

In the end, the public prosecutor’s office arranged for the Open Arms to be impounded following an onboard inspection, which meant that it could dock with the remaining migrants.

Salvini repeatedly stressed that his actions had been in defence of Italy and in the government’s interest. The trial formally began on September 15 but was immediately postponed, as had been expected, to October 23.

The leader is also under investigation for another, similar standoff involving the Italian coastguard ship Gregoretti that Salvini refused to allow permission to dock in the summer of 2019.

Six-year-old sole survivor of cable car crash must return to Italy after 'abduction', court rules .
A six-year-old boy who was the sole survivor of a cable car crash in Italy must be returned to relatives there, an Israeli court has ruled. © Other The boy was the only survivor of the crash. Pic: Italy Alpine rescue service Eitan Biran's parents and younger sibling were among 14 killed when the cabin fell to the ground and tumbled down a slope near Lake Maggiore in May.

usr: 0
This is interesting!