Health 104-Year-Old Woman Credits Long Life to Daily Diet Coke Habit
WATCH: Here’s The One Drink You Should Order On An Airplane
Drinking on a plane is a surprisingly complicated business. Many of the beverages that you would normally order aren’t great options at 20,000 feet in the air. The exuberant bubbliness of Diet Coke can aggravate flight attendants, drinking coffee or tea on planes can be risky business for some pretty icky reasons, and there’s not an airline on the planet that has mastered the art of sweet tea. While you may be tempted to skip the drinks all together, dehydration can be a real problem on airplanes. Not only can it make you more prone to air sickness, but it can increase your chances of getting jet lag, contribute to high-altitude headaches, and make it more likely that you’ll get sick after you get off the plane. Not to mention, airplane cabins are already dry, so skipping water would make your skin even drier after the flight. All that’s to say, skipping the drink cart on a plane isn’t a great idea. So, what should you order during your flight? The short answer is water. It will keep you hydrated, won’t annoy the flight crew, and is necessary for staying alive. That said, it’s kind of boring and many of us already have water bottles in our carry-on luggage. Plus, since airlines give so few perks these days, you want to take advantage of the ones they do offer, like free soft drinks and juice. Soft drinks are fine, of course, but if you’re looking for a healthier option, some people swear by tomato juice.
A person who lives to be 104 years old must have seen a lot and know many things. Theresa Rowley of Grand Rapids, Michigan, knows she loves , and at her age, she can drink as much of it as she likes. In fact, Rowley says she’s been drinking Diet Coke every day for so long that if anything in her life could be responsible for her impressive longevity, it must be the soda.
If You Want to Lose Weight, Eat This 1 Thing Daily
If You Want to Lose Weight, Eat This 1 Thing DailyIt’s fiber. A study in the published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that trying to aim for 30 grams of fiber daily can not only help your waistline shrink, it can also lower blood pressure and improve your body’s insulin response.
, 104-year-old Theresa Rowley says she’s had at least one can of Diet Coke every day since the product launched in 1982, when she was 68 years old.
If You Want to Lose Weight, Eat This 1 Thing Daily
If You Want to Lose Weight, Eat This 1 Thing DailyYou’ve heard all the buzz surrounding protein—it helps you slim down, gain muscle, and curb cravings. But if you’re filling up on lean meats and still struggling to ditch those last few pesky pounds, you may be forgetting to add an essential nutrient to your diet.
Rowley said she just started drinking Diet Coke because she liked it, and that habit has been going on for approximately 36 years.
What the Heck Is the DASH Diet?
Awarded the Best Overall Diet by U.S. News, the DASH Diet could be the healthiest eating plan you've never heard of. Here's everything you need to know about this heart-healthy lifestyle choice.It hardly takes a genius to figure out that eating and, indeed, living well is the best way to get into shape.
She says she doesn’t know if it’s really the Diet Coke habit that’s kept her in such good health and spirits for so many years, but she can’t think of any other explanation. She’s just been drinking it because she likes it. She's clearly very committed to the taste of the original Diet Coke, but it would be interesting to hear what she thinks of .
This Is What Fast Food Actually Does to Your Immune System
***ImagePlaceholder*** http://www.besthealthmag.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Fast-food-burger-chicken-nuggets-pop.jpg photo credit: shutterstock Don’t get enough sleep? Booze too much? Stressing out? These everyday habits could be ruining your immune system, but the worst culprit may be your fast food habit. A recent study out of the University of Bonn suggests that a typical 'Western diet' (a lot of red meat, sugar, and saturated fat and not much fiber -- basically synonymous with fast food) can kick the immune system into overdrive, causing inflammation. The study, published in the journal, Cell, goes on to connect that inflammatory response to serious conditions like cardiovascular diseases (read: stroke or heart attack) and type 2 diabetes, which itself can lead to cardiovascular diseases, as reported by Science Daily. Researchers, led by Eicke Latz, MD, PhD, director of the Institute for Innate Immunity of the University of Bonn in Germany, placed mice on a Western diet and observed that after only one month, the mice had an inflammatory response akin to that triggered by a serious bacterial infection. 'Fast food thus causes the body to quickly recruit a huge and powerful army,' noted the University of Bonn's press release, as that process notably increases the immune cells in the mice's blood. Even worse? The immune response isn't reversible, the scientists discovered.
- some other healthful beverage. Yet there you are, guzzling soda after soda, morning, noon, and night.
Hi, my name is ___ and I’m a diet soda addict. It’s time for Diet Sodaholics Anonymous. That stuff is really, really bad for you.
You’ve heard this speech already — yeah, yeah, yeah. Cancer, chemicals, all that jazz. But I mean, a super sweet and satisfyingly cool beverage for zero calories?! No amount of coverage of the cancer potential of soda is going to get you to quit. So day after day, you keep coming back for more.
Plus, the risks seem so rare and distant that they basically don’t apply to you, anyway. Or so you might think. In reality, the risks of diet soda can be immediate and relevant to your life right now — not just in some distant, elderly future. And when you break it all down, the side effects of drinking diet sodas are just downright unpleasant. Here are 18 of the worst facts about them; they’re so disturbing, they might finally get you to stop drinking it." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-1-of-19-p-so-how-many-diet-sodas-have-you-had-today-some-people-can-stop-at-just-one-others-ra_203212_.jpg?content=1" title="So how many diet sodas have you had today? Some people can stop at just one. Others rarely imbibe an... - istockphoto.com" />
- controversial sweetener that tastes 200 times sweeter than regular refined sugar. Some studies have linked the sweetener to headaches in some people, suggesting that it might trigger the unexplained pain." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-2-of-19-p-many-diet-sodas-are-sweetened-with-aspartame-a-a-href-https-www-thedailymeal-com-hea_679268_.img?content=1" title="Many diet sodas are sweetened with aspartame, a controversial sweetener that tastes 200 times sweete... - istockphoto.com" />
Artificial sweeteners have been known to trigger painful headaches.
- an absolute disaster for your skin. The spike it causes in your blood sugar can trigger hormone fluctuations and breakouts from inflammation. Plus, the dehydrating effect can dry out your skin — if you’re suffering from dry skin, one of these remedies might help!" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-3-of-19-p-it-may-not-be-greasy-but-diet-soda-is-a-href-https-www-thedailymeal-com-healthy-eati_425470_.jpg?content=1" title="It may not be greasy, but diet soda is an absolute disaster for your skin. The spike it causes in yo... - istockphoto.com" />
Diet soda can cause breakouts.
- survey of 263,925 adults revealed some frightening correlations between soda and depression. The study, suggested that consumption of diet sodas was associated with an increased chance of a depression diagnosis. Soda drinkers overall were 30 percent more likely to be depressed — diet soda added another 22 percent of risk into the equation." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-4-of-19-p-a-a-href-https-www-smithsonianmag-com-science-nature-could-diet-soda-cause-clinical-_644051_.img?content=1" title="A survey of 263,925 adults revealed some frightening correlations between soda and depression. The s... - istockphoto.com" />
Diet soda drinkers are likely to be depressed.
- study, women who drank diet soda had significantly lower bone mineral density than those who abstained. Low bone mineral density can set you up for osteoporosis later in life. Take care of your bones with these foods instead." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-5-of-19-p-drinking-diet-soda-ruins-you-to-your-bones-literally-in-a-2006-a-href-https-www-ncbi_558144_.img?content=1" title="Drinking diet soda ruins you to your bones — literally. In a 2006 study, women who drank diet soda h... - istockphoto.com" />
Diet soda drinkers have a lower bone density.
- some nutritionists say Donald Trump’s diet makes him moody — he loves Diet Coke." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-6-of-19-p-diet-sodas-cause-your-blood-sugar-to-fluctuate-your-body-thinks-it-s-ingesting-a-bun_255658_.img?content=1" title="Diet sodas cause your blood sugar to fluctuate — your body thinks it’s ingesting a bunch of sugar, b... - istockphoto.com" />
Diet soda messes with your mood.
- pick a different flavor of vodka. Don’t opt for the diet drink. Diet soda is just not a wise choice for a mixer. A diet soda mixed with any sort of spirit is bound to make you feel drunker than the liquor would on its own. Studies show that diet soda drinks result in higher blood alcohol concentrations.
Sugar slows down the absorption of the alcohol, giving you a steady, controllable buzz. Artificial sweeteners, on the other hand, have no such effect. Some sweeteners are suspected to spike your insulin, though the studies are inconclusive, resulting in a crash that leaves you feeling tired and foggy on top of your already quickened intoxication." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-7-of-19-p-if-you-re-worried-about-calories-a-href-https-www-thedailymeal-com-healthy-eating-yo_869968_.img?content=1" title="If you’re worried about calories, pick a different flavor of vodka. Don’t opt for the diet drink. Di... - istockphoto.com" />
Diet soda mixed with alcohol gets you drunker than a sugary cocktail would.
- Diet soda is known to increase your risk of the deadly disorder by up to 30 percent. It’s even more likely than that to contribute to your risk of diabetes. Some artificial sweeteners are suspected to mess your insulin response, though the studies are inconclusive, increasing the likelihood that yours becomes irregular." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-8-of-19-p-you-do-not-want-metabolic-syndrome-that-s-a-metabolism-disorder-that-can-cause-diabe_234351_.jpg?content=1" title="You do not want metabolic syndrome — that’s a metabolism disorder that can cause diabetes, heart pro... - istockphoto.com" />
Drinking diet soda increases your risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
- you might become dehydrated. That’s a killer combination — you probably won’t be able to concentrate very well. The caffeine jolt you wanted from your cold cup of soda might not really do much for your attention span. You’re better off with a cup of coffee. Not coffee soda — yes, that’s a thing. We mean regular old, healthy coffee." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-9-of-19-p-after-you-drink-diet-soda-your-blood-sugar-crashes-and-a-href-https-www-thedailymeal_811105_.img?content=1" title="After you drink diet soda, your blood sugar crashes and you might become dehydrated. That’s a killer... - istockphoto.com" />
Drinking diet soda makes it harder for you to concentrate.
- more likely to experience high blood pressure than those who avoid it and opt for a healthier beverage. Even if you avoid the foods that could put your blood pressure through the roof, your zero-calorie cola habit could be pushing you over the edge." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-10-of-19-p-diet-soda-drinkers-are-far-a-href-https-www-livestrong-com-article-538852-does-diet_724451_.img?content=1" title="Diet soda drinkers are far more likely to experience high blood pressure than those who avoid it and... - Dreamstime" />
Drinking diet soda puts you at high risk for hypertension.
Drinking too much diet soda could be bad for your kidneys.
- Diet Coke addicts are hardcore. Some of them even drink up to 11 sodas a day. The more you drink diet soda, the more you crave it. It’s not in your head — there’s a biological addictive response to the beverage. Dopamine and glutamate, two neurotransmitters in the brain’s reward center, are released from the caffeine and aspartame. Basically, the soda spikes your brain to crave it again after you finish your can, chasing the next soda-fueled high." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-12-of-19-p-a-href-https-www-thedailymeal-com-healthy-eating-different-eating-habits-presidents_298204_.jpg?content=1" title="Diet Coke addicts are hardcore. Some of them even drink up to 11 sodas a day. The more you drink die... - istockphoto.com" />
It’s not in your head — the addiction is real.
It’s one of the few beverages that actually dehydrate you.
- study from the University of Miami, regularly drinking diet soda can significantly escalate your risk of a heart attack. Regular soda drinkers who opted for the sugary drink instead did not have as strong a risk. You might be better off with the sugary soda — or, you know, water." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-14-of-19-p-according-to-a-a-href-http-med-miami-edu-news-um-study-find-possible-link-between-d_839914_.img?content=1" title="According to a study from the University of Miami, regularly drinking diet soda can significantly es... - istockphoto.com" />
Just one diet soda a day boosts your risk of a heart attack.
- speed up the aging process, giving you more wrinkles and a weaker frame." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-15-of-19-p-some-believe-this-effect-is-due-to-the-phosphoric-acid-used-in-most-diet-sodas-it-s_664238_.img?content=1" title="Some believe this effect is due to the phosphoric acid used in most diet sodas — it’s fine to drink ... - istockphoto.com" />
Over time, diet soda can cause your skin and muscles to wither.
- study from Denmark, just one diet soda a day was associated with a 38 percent increased risk of preterm delivery. Four sodas a day increased the risk by 78 percent. So if you’re pregnant, you might want to quit the habit ASAP. Here are eight other drinks you should avoid if you’re pregnant." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-16-of-19-p-according-to-a-a-href-https-www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov-pubmed-20592133-study-a-from-denma_632728_.img?content=1" title="According to a study from Denmark, just one diet soda a day was associated with a 38 percent increas... - istockphoto.com" />
Some studies show drinking diet soda causes problems during pregnancy.
- the show Breaking Bad, you might want to quit your diet soda habit. According to a case study published in the journal General Dentistry, the mouth of one habitual diet soda drinker was just as eroded as the mouths of a meth user and a crack addict. This dangerous addiction might not be as strong, but it’s certainly more common. Diet soda is something out of a dentist’s nightmare." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-17-of-19-p-if-you-don-t-want-to-look-like-someone-out-of-a-href-https-www-thedailymeal-com-fre_511867_.img?content=1" title="If you don’t want to look like someone out of the show Breaking Bad, you might want to quit your die... - istockphoto.com" />
One study found that diet soda drinkers’ teeth are just as eroded as those of meth addicts.
- a terrifying study from Boston University, diet soda drinkers are up to three times more likely to develop Alzheimer’s or dementia or suffer from a stroke than people who didn’t drink the soda. You’d be better off loading up your diet with these foods that can protect your brain from Alzheimer’s and leave your diet soda days behind." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-18-of-19-p-according-to-a-href-https-www-thedailymeal-com-news-healthy-eating-could-drinking-t_845428_.img?content=1" title="According to a terrifying study from Boston University, diet soda drinkers are up to three times mor... - istockphoto.com" />
Too much diet soda can give you brain damage.
- 20 perfectly legitimate health reasons to eat dark chocolate every day." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/09/slide-19-of-19-p-ever-heard-the-rumor-that-diet-soda-gives-you-cancer-this-is-where-that-comes-from-_619412_.jpg?content=1" title="Ever heard the rumor that diet soda gives you cancer? This is where that comes from. When you digest... - istockphoto.com" />
Your liver produces carcinogens after you drink diet soda.
Many centenarians have daily habits they say keep them feeling healthy and young. Some of those things are thought to be healthful, and others are not., and he attributed his long life to a diet of fresh vegetables and a daily glass of red wine. Meanwhile she drinks every day, and one can only hope she’s right. For more centenarians’ dining habits, here’s .
This One Surprising Habit Could Put Your Brain at Risk of Dementia .
While some of the biggest dementia risk factors—age and family history—are beyond your control, it’s no secret that certain daily habits can seriously up your dementia risk. While some of the biggest dementia risk factors—age and family history—are beyond your control, it’s no secret that certain daily habits can seriously up your dementia risk. That said, you eat a healthy diet, get plenty of sleep, and exercise on the regular. So there’s no way your occasional forgetfulness could turn into an early sign of dementia, right? Well, not so fast.
104-year-old woman's secret: 3 Dr. Peppers a day
A 104-year-old woman gives some credit for her long life to her doctor ... Dr. Pepper. CNN's Gary Tuchman reports.
104-Year-Old woman says Diet Coke is key to her long life
Awoman who has made it to the age of 104 swears that the secret to longevity is drinking Diet Coke every day.Theresa Rowley, from Grand Rapids, Michigan, celebrated her birthday with a cake...
Friday, 31 august 2018
Men who followed a Mediterranean diet were less likely to to be impotent, according to a new study. Consuming at least nine weekly tablespoons of olive oil was also linked to higher levels of testosterone. Not a fan of Viagra? Not a problem. To deal with impotence, a new study from Greece […]
Friday, 31 august 2018
Toddler With 2-Pack-a-Day Habit Outrages InternetHis mother, Maryati, said he pitches a fit if he isn't allowed to light up, telling Caters News Agency she would relent and buy him smokes to keep him from throwing a […]
Saturday, 01 september 2018
What To Say When Someone Says They Have HIVIf someone discloses their status to you, it’s a sign that they trust you, so do your best to be respectful and supportive in return. If you have questions, ask them how you can get informed about HIV. A small gesture to learn more will show that […]
Monday, 27 august 2018
We know that women often feel disenfranchised when it comes to mainstream medicine. Goop and the rest of the wellness industry has tapped into that frustration and exploited it for profit. Women have long been absent from medical research, with male subjects serving as the default human […]
Thursday, 06 september 2018
Mark Wahlberg Shares His Cryo Chamber HabitsThe 47-year-old actor shared on Ellen on Tuesday that his latest strategy to help his body recover from intense workouts is spending time in a cryotherapy chamber, or a small room kept, in his case, at 150 degrees below zero. Dressed in a mask, […]
Saturday, 01 september 2018
N.Y. Mom Opens Up About Having Stomach Removed After Cancer Diagnosis: 'It Was So Terrifying'Solt, 36, was enjoying life with her husband, Juan Pablo Horcasitas, and their then-14-month-old son, Martin, in New York City when she was diagnosed with hereditary diffuse gastric cancer […]
Monday, 27 august 2018
This Is How Much Meat You Should Be Eating a Week, According to ExpertsOne benefit of eating so much meat is getting an abundance of protein, an important macronutrient that builds muscle and keeps you feeling full. But when it comes to protein needs, there's no one-size-fits-all […]
Tuesday, 28 august 2018
A 24-year-old woman in the U.K. is warning others about the potential dangers of sucking on balloons for a high after she claims she’s been left paralyzed. Olivia Golding, who claims she inhaled 15 balloons filled with nitrous oxide while at a festival, said her issues started with a pins […]