Health Should You Drink Celery Juice? A Nutritionist Weighs In on Busy Philipps’ New Go-To
This Popular Diet Could Sabotage Your Health, According to a Nutritionist
This Popular Diet Could Sabotage Your Health, According to a Nutritionist appeared first on Reader's Digest.
WATCH: Here’s The One Drink You Should Order On An Airplane
Drinking on a plane is a surprisingly complicated business. Many of the beverages that you would normally order aren’t great options at 20,000 feet in the air. The exuberant bubbliness of Diet Coke can aggravate flight attendants, drinking coffee or tea on planes can be risky business for some pretty icky reasons, and there’s not an airline on the planet that has mastered the art of sweet tea. While you may be tempted to skip the drinks all together, dehydration can be a real problem on airplanes. Not only can it make you more prone to air sickness, but it can increase your chances of getting jet lag, contribute to high-altitude headaches, and make it more likely that you’ll get sick after you get off the plane. Not to mention, airplane cabins are already dry, so skipping water would make your skin even drier after the flight. All that’s to say, skipping the drink cart on a plane isn’t a great idea. So, what should you order during your flight? The short answer is water. It will keep you hydrated, won’t annoy the flight crew, and is necessary for staying alive. That said, it’s kind of boring and many of us already have water bottles in our carry-on luggage. Plus, since airlines give so few perks these days, you want to take advantage of the ones they do offer, like free soft drinks and juice. Soft drinks are fine, of course, but if you’re looking for a healthier option, some people swear by tomato juice.
Know before you sip.
Busy Philipps is all of us when it comes to self-improvement. She talks to her pals, finds out what works for them, and tries it for herself. In her latest attempt to, Philipps is sipping on celery juice.
“Guys, Tracey Cunningham told me yesterday that we’re supposed to drink fresh celery juice every morning,” Philipps said in her Instagram story on Wednesday morning, referring to celebrity hair stylist Tracey Cunningham. “Every morning, guys.”
Philipps shared what she learned, like that you’re supposed to drink the juice within 10 minutes of it being prepared.
“Apparently it’s supposed to do all of these wonderful things for you and something withand I don’t know but I’m on board,” she said, laughing. “So now I’m drinking celery juice. It’s really good.”
Greek Lentil Soup
Greek Lentil Soup
The television star andalso talked about her motivation for adding celery juice to her daily routine: “Just trying to find the path to my best life and feeling good, and so if this is one of the things that I can do to do that, then I’ll do it,” she said.
To find out more details on the potential perks of this buzzy juice, we went to Health’s contributing nutrition editor,. “Many people think of celery as a throw-away veggie with no nutritional value,” Sass says. “But it actually packs some key health protective nutrients. In addition to being low in calories and a source of fiber, celery provides some folate, vitamin K, , and .”
Sass also says eating celery pre-workout has been shown to boost endurance, and enhance strength training performance. Not to mention, each stick is packed with several potent anti-inflammatory substances.
Busy Philipps Just Shot Garlic Up Her Nose to Relieve Sinus Congestion—and It Looks So Painful
Busy Philipps Just Shot Garlic Up Her Nose to Relieve Sinus Congestion—and It Looks So PainfulAfter telling followers that she strained the mixture through cheesecloth, we see her hang her head over the side of a bed and go to work. The immediate change in her facial expression says it all, but in case you didn’t catch it, here are a few snippets of her reaction: "Oh, that’s terrible… oh no… oh my god it really burns…my eyes are immediately watering.
To get our top nutrition tips delivered to your inbox, sign up for the
And Philipps might be onto something when it comes to sipping her celery juice stat: “Consuming celery shortly after it's been chopped or blended preserves more of its nutrients,” Sass says.
But don’t feel pressured to stuff a bunch of stalks in your juicer and prepare a 12-oz. glass of the stuff. “I think it’s fine to do, but I don’t think it’s essential,” Sass says. “You’ll get similar benefits from eating celery and plenty of other fresh veggies in a variety of ways throughout day.”
Want to add more of the crunchy veggie to your diet? Sass has a few suggestions.
“Instead of just drinking straight celery juice, you can blend raw celery into smoothies, along with other veggies and fruit, incorporate it into omelets, or finely chop to add to oatmeal or Greek yogurt,” she says. “Or eat it raw to help satisfy a crunch tooth. Many of my clients like to eat celery at the end of breakfast as a palate cleanser. I find it can help shut off a sweet tooth, so you're less tempted by office goodies.”
Slow Juicers Are The Hot New Appliance — But Are They Worth The Hefty Price Tag?
And what the heck does a slow juicer do, anyway?
Gallery: 30 Easy Tips to Get Slimmer in 30 Days
A month's worth of easy but effective changes that can be tailored to fit your needs and fitness level lie ahead. Try these moves to enter 2016 in great shape and drop some belly fat." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-1-of-31-p-the-new-year-signals-a-clean-slate-and-a-clean-plate-the-good-news-implementing-even_621726_.img?content=1" title="The New Year signals a clean slate (and a clean plate!). The good news: Implementing even small ever... - Getty Images" />
- " role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-2-of-31-p-write-a-specific-wellness-mission-for-the-upcoming-weeks-think-i-will-eat-two-clean-_258980_.jpg?content=1" title="Write a specific wellness mission for the upcoming weeks (think: "I will eat two clean meals per day... - Getty Images" />
Day 1: Have a mission
- " role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-3-of-31-p-toss-out-three-food-products-labeled-low-fat-reduced-fat-or-fat-free-they-often-pack_99788_.jpg?content=1" title="Toss out three food products labeled "low-fat," "reduced-fat" or "fat-free." They often pack more sa... - Getty Images" />
Day 2: Purge your pantry
Day 3: Weigh yourself
Day 4: "Go" for a mile
- portion control and naturally reduce your calorie intake." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-6-of-31-p-new-research-has-confirmed-the-age-old-diet-trick-smaller-dishes-try-9-inch-ones-and_71913_.img?content=1" title="New research has confirmed the age-old diet trick: Smaller dishes (try 9-inch ones) and cutlery will... - Getty Images" />
Day 5: Eat off smaller plates
Day 6: Try a bird-dog plank variation
- avocado toast. But you can also swap it into other recipes to up your fiber; replace 1 tablespoon of butter with 1/2 tablespoon of avocado." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-8-of-31-p-everyone-loves-replacing-butter-with-avocado-for-a-href-http-www-health-com-health-v_416959_.jpg?content=1" title="Everyone loves replacing butter with avocado for avocado toast. But you can also swap it into other ... - Getty Images" />
Day 7: Trade butter for avocado
Day 8: Scan your kitchen
- six easy ways to sit less every day." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-10-of-31-p-walk-stretch-even-squat-every-hour-on-the-hour-new-research-has-shown-that-sitting-_355078_.jpg?content=1" title="Walk, stretch, even squat?every hour on the hour. New research has shown that sitting for long perio... - Getty Images" />
Day 9: Get up and move
- weighing yourself at least once a week may help you stay on track toward your weight loss goals. That said, some people find weighing themselves frequently just makes them frustrated?especially since the number on the scale doesn't always reflect an actual slimdown, since muscle is denser than fat. " role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-11-of-31-p-if-self-weighing-seems-to-be-working-for-you-aim-for-a-check-in-once-a-week-recent-_886935_.jpg?content=1" title="If self-weighing seems to be working for you, aim for a check-in once a week. Recent research shows ... - Getty Images" />
Day 10: Hop on the scale again
Day 11: Beat your own mile time
- lettuce wrap instead." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-13-of-31-p-only-use-one-piece-of-bread-which-will-save-you-about-100-calories-you-could-also-o_849617_.jpg?content=1" title="Only use one piece of bread, which will save you about 100 calories. You could also opt for a lettuc... - Getty Images" />
Day 12: Build an open-face sandwich
Day 13: Add a hot ingredient to dinner
Day 14: Write out a new goal
- over-easy, or in a sandwich, eggs are one of the easiest (and most delicious) way to get the satiating nutrient in your morning meal. Try this healthy recipe for a bacon and egg sandwich. " role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-16-of-31-p-starting-the-day-with-protein-packed-meals-keeps-you-full-and-satisfied-longer-and-_597891_.jpg?content=1" title="Starting the day with protein-packed meals keeps you full and satisfied longer. And whether you eat ... - Getty Images" />
Day 15: Crack an egg at breakfast
- biggest fitness trends forecasted for 2016." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-17-of-31-p-a-2015-study-found-that-women-who-did-30-minutes-of-an-unfamiliar-aerobic-activity-_723333_.jpg?content=1" title="A 2015 study found that women who did 30 minutes of an unfamiliar aerobic activity enjoyed their wor... - Getty Images" />
Day 16: Experiment with a new exercise class
- fast workout." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-18-of-31-p-an-early-sweat-session-helps-keep-your-metabolism-humming-all-day-and-although-the-_142424_.jpg?content=1" title="An early sweat session helps keep your metabolism humming all day. And although the thought of carvi... - Getty Images" />
Day 17: Work out first thing this a.m.
Day 18: Do kettlebell swings
Day 19: Stick with veggies
Day 20: Go for H2O
Day 21: Sneak in exercises throughout your day
Day 22: Take a lunch lap
Day 23: Mix things up
Day 24: Rock a jump-rope workout
- Tabata-style! Do squat jumps, push-ups, burpees and sit-ups for 20-second intervals, with 10 seconds of rest in between. Repeat twice." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-26-of-31-p-exercise-using-just-your-body-weight-a-href-http-news-health-com-2015-09-25-a-4-min_329476_.jpg?content=1" title="Exercise using just your body weight—Tabata-style! Do squat jumps, push-ups, burpees and sit-ups for... - Getty Images" />
Day 25: Try Tabata
Day 26: Remember to hydrate
- BOSU circuit that will tone your whole body." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-28-of-31-p-resistance-bands-bosu-balls-and-ankle-weights-are-great-for-extra-burn-try-this-six_631972_.jpg?content=1" title="Resistance bands, BOSU balls and ankle weights are great for extra burn. Try this six-move BOSU circ... - Getty Images" />
Day 27: Try a gym gadget you've never used
- three calorie-torching variations." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/02/12/slide-29-of-31-p-tally-50-burpees-by-the-end-of-the-day-crank-up-the-traditional-move-with-these-a-h_243520_.jpg?content=1" title="Tally 50 burpees by the end of the day. Crank up the traditional move with these three calorie-torch... - Getty Images" />
Day 28: Feeling strong?
Day 29: Cook with quinoa
- 30-Day Total Body Challenge
Day 30: Determine your next wellness mission
Study Finds This Very Common Morning Drink Linked To Skin Cancer .
Before you head to the kitchen for that big glass of OJ, take a look at this recent shocking study. I'm sad to say that this news will not brighten your day. Researchers from Brown University's Warren Alpert Medical School say that a study from the Journal of Clinical Oncology, which they recently conducted, shows that drinking citrus juices, like orange juice, may increase your risk of developing the most deadly form of skin cancer.I know; I'm upset about this, too. Turns out, the sweet glass of orange juice Mom gives you every morning isn't as healthy as you thought.
Friday, 31 august 2018
Men who followed a Mediterranean diet were less likely to to be impotent, according to a new study. Consuming at least nine weekly tablespoons of olive oil was also linked to higher levels of testosterone. Not a fan of Viagra? Not a problem. To deal with impotence, a new study from Greece […]
Friday, 31 august 2018
Toddler With 2-Pack-a-Day Habit Outrages InternetHis mother, Maryati, said he pitches a fit if he isn't allowed to light up, telling Caters News Agency she would relent and buy him smokes to keep him from throwing a […]
Saturday, 01 september 2018
What To Say When Someone Says They Have HIVIf someone discloses their status to you, it’s a sign that they trust you, so do your best to be respectful and supportive in return. If you have questions, ask them how you can get informed about HIV. A small gesture to learn more will show that […]
Monday, 27 august 2018
We know that women often feel disenfranchised when it comes to mainstream medicine. Goop and the rest of the wellness industry has tapped into that frustration and exploited it for profit. Women have long been absent from medical research, with male subjects serving as the default human […]
Thursday, 06 september 2018
Mark Wahlberg Shares His Cryo Chamber HabitsThe 47-year-old actor shared on Ellen on Tuesday that his latest strategy to help his body recover from intense workouts is spending time in a cryotherapy chamber, or a small room kept, in his case, at 150 degrees below zero. Dressed in a mask, […]
Saturday, 01 september 2018
N.Y. Mom Opens Up About Having Stomach Removed After Cancer Diagnosis: 'It Was So Terrifying'Solt, 36, was enjoying life with her husband, Juan Pablo Horcasitas, and their then-14-month-old son, Martin, in New York City when she was diagnosed with hereditary diffuse gastric cancer […]
Monday, 27 august 2018
This Is How Much Meat You Should Be Eating a Week, According to ExpertsOne benefit of eating so much meat is getting an abundance of protein, an important macronutrient that builds muscle and keeps you feeling full. But when it comes to protein needs, there's no one-size-fits-all […]
Tuesday, 28 august 2018
A 24-year-old woman in the U.K. is warning others about the potential dangers of sucking on balloons for a high after she claims she’s been left paralyzed. Olivia Golding, who claims she inhaled 15 balloons filled with nitrous oxide while at a festival, said her issues started with a pins […]