Canada: Lockdown lifts at Toronto high schools hours after reports of former student with a gun - PressFrom - Canada

CanadaLockdown lifts at Toronto high schools hours after reports of former student with a gun

23:20  06 december  2018
23:20  06 december  2018 Source:

Plaque to be unveiled for Toronto student who drowned on school trip to Algonquin Park

Plaque to be unveiled for Toronto student who drowned on school trip to Algonquin Park Jeremiah Perry was swimming with a group of classmates at Big Trout Lake in Algonquin Provincial Park on the evening of July 4, 2017, when he went underwater and did not resurface. Search and rescue crews located his body the following day. The 15-year-old student was taking part in a week-long field trip with 32 other students. READ MORE: Teacher charged in death of Jeremiah Perry who drowned on field trip in Algonquin Park Toronto District School Board officials said Perry was one of 15 students who failed a swim test but was still allowed to take part in the excursion.

A student shot another student with a BB gun in Gloversville Middle School . March 20: Lexington Park, Maryland. An armed student shot two others at Great Mills High One student was killed and another critically wounded after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at Huffman High School .

All public schools in the Billings Heights were placed on lockdown briefly Tuesday afternoon in response to a suicidal student with a gun . Superintendent Greg Upham told The Billings Gazette the lockdown went into effect at roughly 1:25 p.m. and was lifted at roughly 2:15 p.m. It affected all

Police have lifted an hours-long lockdown at two high schools in Toronto's High Park area on Thursday after reports of a person with a gun.

No shots were fired, but one student was treated by paramedics at the scene. The extent of their injuries is unknown.

Officers searched Western Technical-Commerical School on Evelyn Crescent, in the area of Runnymede Road and Annette Street, after responding to a call around 10 a.m. from staff who said a student reported seeing a man with a gun.

Police believe the suspect is an 18-year-old former student of the school, said spokesperson Katrina Arrogante.

Toronto police Sgt. Sal Granata told reporters at the scene he anticipates investigators will make an arrest shortly in the case. It's not immediately clear if any charges will be laid.

Threats shut down 15 Manitoba schools on Monday

Threats shut down 15 Manitoba schools on Monday Repeated threats have shut down an entire school division in Manitoba, forcing nearly 4,000 students from 15 schools north of Winnipeg to remain home on Monday. An initial online threat that surfaced on Sunday prompted a message from the Lord Selkirk School Division that a single high school in Selkirk would be closed. But a few hours later, the division announced that RCMP had arrested one person and the threat was over. A recorded message sent to parents stated the school would, in fact, be open for Monday.

Two young men and a woman are in police custody after heavily armed officers raided a Cabbagetown high school Tuesday over reports of a person with a gun . A woman, whose age is unconfirmed, was also arrested nearby. The lockdown has since been lifted , and the investigation is ongoing.

Teen Defends Walking Out High School Graduation After Facing Backlash School Lockdown Stories 2 Animated - Продолжительность: 5:06 Llama Arts 3 395 316 просмотров. College football player's horrific 40 hours of being held hostage, tortured - Продолжительность: 10:18 ABC News 4

Granata said the suspect had a gun according to witnesses and security video.

Western Technical-Commercial School, Ursula Franklin Academy and The Student School (which are in the same building) were locked down for nearly five hours. The procedure was lifted just before 3 p.m.

Ryan Bird, spokesperson for Toronto District School Board (TDSB), said other schools nearby —  Annette Street Public School, Humberside Collegiate Institute, Keele Street Public School, Mountainview Alternative Junior School and Runnymede Public School — were in hold and secure mode as a precaution, and school life continued as normal inside classrooms.

"We are treating it seriously," he told CBC Toronto.

The hold and secure at the schools is in the process of being lifted, Bird said, and the school day will be dismissed as usual.

1 arrested after threats cause lockdown at Amazon warehouse

1 arrested after threats cause lockdown at Amazon warehouse A man has been arrested after allegedly leaving a threatening voicemail at an Amazon warehouse in southern Alberta. RCMP said at 7:45 a.m. they responded to a 911 call at the Amazon Fulfillment Centre in Balzac. A man had left a voicemail threatening the employees at the building, police said. RCMP surrounded the building and asked the employees to remain inside in a safe location. Police said after an investigation, a man was safely arrested and there's no further risk to the employees at the warehouse. The investigation is ongoing.

A lockdown order has been lifted and one male is in police custody after an incident at George Washington High School in Northeast Philadelphia. The report was for a male pointing a gun at students . The facility was locked down as police set up a staging area near the tennis courts and

The West End Alternative School was locked down for several hours after police received reports of a person with a gun in the area. The school was on lockdown after police received reports of a gunman inside West End Alternative School . (Rene Johnston / Toronto Star).

Lockdown lifts at Toronto high schools hours after reports of former student with a gun© Kelda Yuen/CBC Police searched Western Technical-Commercial School, shown here, and Ursula Franklin Academy after receiving a report of a man with a gun.

Lockdown procedures are activated in cases of serious emergency where there is a threat inside or very near to the school, according to the TDSB's website. Students are kept in classrooms or other designated spots away from the threat.

In hold-and-secure situations, the outer school doors are locked and students and staff are encouraged to stay in classrooms, the school board says.

Thursday marks the 29th anniversary of the attack at École Polytechnique in Montreal that left 14 women dead and 10 others wounded when a gunman entered a classroom with an assault rifle. This is the worst mass shooting massacre in Canada's history.

Toronto police searching for armed suspect who sparked lockdown at three high schools.
Toronto police have released a photo of a suspect after a reported gun sighting caused three high schools in Bloor West Village to go on lockdown last Thursday. The lockdown at Western Technical-Commercial School, Ursula Franklin Academy and The Student School, which went on for five hours, started after police received a call in the morning that an armed man had been spotted inside the building. He also threatened a student, police alleged in a news release Wednesday. Police said last week that the suspect was a former student of Western Tech, police said.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!