Canada: Quebec to pay motorists trapped in 2017 storm - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaQuebec to pay motorists trapped in 2017 storm

00:00  15 march  2019
00:00  15 march  2019 Source:   msn.com

Quebec to pay motorists trapped in 2017 storm

Quebec to pay motorists trapped in 2017 storm MONTREAL - The Quebec government has agreed to compensate motorists who were trapped for hours on a major Montreal highway in March 2017 following a massive snowstorm. Lawyers representing plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit said today they reached an out-of-court deal with the province. The class action will continue against the city of Montreal, whose lawyers have so far refused to negotiate. People who were trapped in their cars for four hours or less will receive $350 from the provincial government. The payments increase according to the amount of time people were stuck, rising to $1,100 for drivers and passengers who spent 10 hours or more in their vehicles.

3 September 2017 . Image caption Polperro High Street was left under nearly 4ft of water. People were trapped in vehicles and roads were closed as surface water flooding hit parts of Cornwall. At least six people had to be brought to safety by water rescue teams after becoming trapped in their

Speed traps typically combine arbitrarily low speed limits with heavy traffic enforcement designed to Welcome to Detroit—Now Pay Up! Several cities surrounding the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Motorists who visited The National Speed Trap Exchange within the past five years complained

Quebec to pay motorists trapped in 2017 storm© Provided by thecanadianpress.com The Quebec government has agreed to compensate motorists who were trapped for hours on a major Montreal highway in March 2017 following a massive snowstorm. A woman shovels snow from around her car following a winter storm in Montreal, Wednesday, March 15, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes MONTREAL - People who were trapped for hours on a Montreal highway following a massive 2017 snowstorm will each receive up to $1,375 from the province, lawyers for the stranded motorists announced Thursday.

The payments result from a partial settlement of a class action lawsuit against the Quebec government and the city of Montreal. The lawsuit had been authorized by the Quebec Superior Court and will continue against the city, which so far has refused to negotiate, according to the motorists' lawyers.

Man rescued after being trapped in Vancouver dumpster

Man rescued after being trapped in Vancouver dumpster A man is in critical condition after he was found caught trapped by the heavy steel lid of a dumpster.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A winter storm unleashed mudslides in Southern California wildfire burn areas and trapped motorists on a major highway, and the northern part of the state is bracing for more wet weather. The scenic route remains closed Sunday as crews tow away trapped cars and clear lanes.

Motorists makes it easy to pay your premium by offering several convenient options - from immediate, one-time credit card payments to our recurring payment program that automatically applies premium payments to your checking account or credit card.

A storm that began on the evening of March 14, 2017, dropped more than 35 centimetres of snow on the city overnight, stranding hundreds of motorists on Highway 13, some of whom had to stay in their cars until the morning. The government later acknowledged that emergency services were badly managed that night.

Marc-Antoine Cloutier, the lead lawyer representing plaintiffs, said his clients were traumatized.

"People cry when they talk about their night," he told reporters. "Many people spoke about a significant trauma. I'm still stunned that people who appear very strong cry when they talk about their night of March 14-15."

Cloutier said the agreement recognizes that provincial authorities have since fixed their emergency services operations.

Boulerice named NDP deputy leader as party tries to woo Quebec voters

Boulerice named NDP deputy leader as party tries to woo Quebec voters NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is making veteran MP Alexandre Boulerice the party's new deputy leader in a bid to cosy up to Quebec voters ahead of the October election. In a statement, the party said Boulerice is the best person to support the party's "ongoing efforts to reconnect with progressives in Quebec." The MP for Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie will be responsible for recruiting the NDP's team of candidates and leading a Quebec-specific campaign. He'll have his work cut out for him. So far, 10 incumbent NDP MPs — four of them from Quebec — have said they won't run again.

511PAConnect is the commonwealth’s trapped -traveler emergency communications tool that allows incident response teams to communicate via automated phone or text message directly with motorists who are trapped in a roadway backup. The tool also gives emergency crews a clearer picture of who

Quebec is one of the thirteen provinces and territories of Canada. It is bordered to the west by the province of Ontario and the bodies of water James Bay and Hudson Bay

Under the terms of the agreement, people who were trapped in their cars for four hours or less will receive $350 from the provincial government. The payments increase according to the amount of time people were stuck, rising to $1,100 for drivers and passengers who spent 10 hours or more in their vehicles.

Children aged under 12, seniors over 75, pregnant women and people with medical conditions will receive bonuses worth 25 per cent of the payment, for a maximum of $1,375 per plaintiff.

Cloutier said plaintiffs could be in line for more money depending on the outcome of the suit against the city.

Roughly 2,500 people have so far registered to take part in the class action. The agreement with the Quebec government needs to be authorized by the Superior Court before plaintiffs can be compensated.

Gabrielle Gagne, part of the plaintiffs' legal team, said people who wish to collect money will need to show evidence they were stuck in their cars.

"You can use pictures, you can use text messages, email, videos," she said. "A lot of people have smartphones and have all of that already with them, so it could be fairly easy to prove."

Quebec City police criticized for Chuck Norris photo.
Quebec City police criticized for Chuck Norris photo

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!