Canada: Flood-free residents complain about Constance Bay power cutoff - - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaFlood-free residents complain about Constance Bay power cutoff

20:42  02 may  2019
20:42  02 may  2019 Source:   ottawacitizen.com

Flood levels in New Brunswick back at last year's damaging levels in capital

Flood levels in New Brunswick back at last year's damaging levels in capital FREDERICTON — The flood levels in Fredericton are back at last year's levels, as the waters of the Saint John River are also causing flooding in the southern parts of the province. Provincial emergency officials are cautioning the water levels of the flood-prone river will continue to rise in southern regions of the province in the days ahead. They say levels in Fredericton and northern regions were continuing to stabilize Tuesday, and they were expected to remain above flood level for the rest of the week. However, Geoffrey Downey, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, says levels have reached over 8.

As many as 150 homes went dark on Tuesday night after officials with the Electrical Safety Authority deemed water levels inside certain addresses were affecting the safety of those inside the dwellings. While the City of Ottawa has implemented a voluntary evacuation of homes from 600 to 965 Bayview

Shop our extensive line-up of new, used, & obsolete electrical products and complete industrial solutions. Discover Bay Power 's "now" advantage today. Phone. (408) 998-2980. Toll Free . (800) 699-2980. Fax.

Flood-free residents complain about Constance Bay power cutoff © THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang A Canadian Forces member looks on from his Light Armoured Vehicle as it passes a flooded marsh near the Ottawa community of Constance Bay, during a guided tour of Canadian Armed Forces flood relief operations in the National Capital Region on Tuesday, April 30, 2019.

As many as 150 homes went dark on Tuesday night after officials with the Electrical Safety Authority deemed water levels inside certain addresses were affecting the safety of those inside the dwellings.

While the City of Ottawa has implemented a voluntary evacuation of homes from 600 to 965 Bayview Dr. in Constance Bay, many residents have decided to stay put and weather the rising tides inside their homes.

Rothesay warns residents of toilet backups as sewage system 'overwhelmed' by flood

Rothesay warns residents of toilet backups as sewage system 'overwhelmed' by flood Rothesay is warning residents who live close to the Kennebecasis River they are at risk of toilet backup because of rising floodwaters and is asking them to use the portable toilets being distributed to "vulnerable neighbourhoods." "Our lagoons have flooded, and our entire sanitary system has been overwhelmed," Mayor Nancy Grant told CBC News in an email on Tuesday night. "This is exactly the same situation as we had last year," said Grant. The Southern New Brunswick mayor renewed her call for financial assistance from the federal and provincial governments for a new wastewater treatment plant.

Residents in Constance Bay are working hard to try to protect their homes as the Ottawa River is set to rise over the next few days. Predictions that residents could face a similar situation to two years ago — when flooding began in April, stabilized and then surged weeks later — have put people on

Law enforcement or regulatory agencies may desire copies of pertinent documents or other evidence regarding your complaint . Originals should be retained for use by law enforcement agencies.

Resident Kimberley Behman said that while there are several homes affected by flooding further down Bayview Drive, several homes remain high and dry.

“I haven’t put one sandbag on my property. You have homes here that are on dry road,” she said, adding that it was particularly shocking to her to find that her utilities had been cut off by authorities Tuesday night without warning.

“They went with a blanket approach instead of going house to house. There was no time to prepare.” Behman said several neighbours who haven’t been affected by water rising near their homes, have been steadily pumping water out of their basements and sumps in an attempt to keep their homes dry.

Shutting off the power abruptly on Tuesday night ended those efforts, allowing basements to begin to fill with groundwater.

Bracebridge mayor declares flood emergency

Bracebridge mayor declares flood emergency BRACEBRIDGE—A flood emergency has been declared in Bracebridge due to the continuing rising water. Property owners in adjacent low-lying areas are advised to take precautionary measures as water levels continue to rise. The town encourages residents to alert any children in their care to these dangers and supervise their activities. Mayor Graydon Smith declared the emergency under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, according to a Tuesday news release just before 6 p.m. The Town of Bracebridge is being advised by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry of rising water levels on lakes and rivers.

Constance Carter is an International Best-Selling Author, Investor, Speaker, Musician and the CEO of the largest African American Residential Real Estate & Lending firm in Northern California.

Lyons & Flood , LLP is a maritime and admiralty law firm based in the heart of New York City, with branch offices in Massachusetts, New Jersey and Connecticut. The firm represents clients from all over the world and provides litigation and arbitration services ranging from marine casualties, cargo claims

Hydro One spokeswoman Tiziana Baccega Rosa said the decision to shut off power to the entire area wasn’t easy.

She said a decision had to be made to protect the safety of those living in the affected area as water and electricity don’t mix.

“Our hearts go out to all of the communities and our customers affected by the extreme flooding. Safety is our first priority and that is why we are disconnecting customers at their own request or by the request of the Electrical Safety Authority or local officials,” she said in an emailed statement.

“On April 30, Hydro One crews were asked to shut down power to an area of Constance Bay where the roads were being closed in order to try and eliminate any electrical hazardous to those customers and emergency responders. This resulted in electricity being disconnected for some customers not affected by flooding at this time. Our crews worked to restore power to as many of these customers as possible through alternate sources however, some remain without power.”

PM lends a hand in Ottawa flood zone as flood-weary communities brace for rain

PM lends a hand in Ottawa flood zone as flood-weary communities brace for rain PM lends a hand in Ottawa flood zone as flood-weary communities brace for rain

Constance Bay Pharmacy - 131 Constance Bay Rd, Woodlawn, Ontario K0A 3M0 - Rated 5 based on 11 Reviews "Just thought I'd share See more of Constance Bay Pharmacy on Facebook. Constance Bay Flood Fundraiser Powered By Canadian Financial.

Flood Precautions. In any flooding or potential flooding event, the following actions should be taken: Protecting your home. Once flood waters have receded you must not live in your home until the water supply has been declared safe for use, all flood -contaminated rooms have been thoroughly

There have already been two fires in Constance Bay homes affected by flooding. Baccega Rosa said one of the issues faced by emergency crews is the physical location of those who haven’t been affected by flooding.

Many homes along Bayview Drive, near Behman, were relying on power provided through flood-affected homes. The electricity being provided to Behman and others, through water logged basements, posed a serious safety risk according to Hydro One.

The affected homes would need to be removed from the electrical grid on a case-by-case basis to allow power to be diverted around those addresses.

West-Carleton March Coun. Eli El-Chantiry, sent out a note on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon advising those affected that officials with the Electrical Safety Authority would be going door-to-door in the affected area to assess damage to properties and, where possible, reconnect unaffected homes to the electrical grid.

Baccega Rosa warned that a decision to reconnect a home to the electrical grid would be made based on the condition of each property and the amount of water affecting the residence.

It will also depend on where the home is on the street, as some homes can’t be reconnected without threatening the safety of neighbouring properties.

“We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing however. We need to make every decision based on protecting the safety of our customers, emergency responders and our employees,” she said.

“Customers who have been disconnected will not be charged connection fees or for the delivery fee while they are without power.”

Read more

Constance Wu says her outburst after her show's renewal was badly timed.
Constance Wu did not seem excited by the news that her show "Fresh Off the Boat" will be back for another season. The ABC hit comedy, which follows a family adjusting to suburban Orlando life after moving from Chinatown, announced Friday that it's returning for Season 6. But after the show posted news about its renewal on social media, Wu had a stunning reaction. "So upset right now that I'm literally crying. Ugh," she tweeted, followed by expletives. On the show's Instagram account, commenters called her out after she apparently posted "Dislike" under a post about the show returning for another season.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!