•   
  •   
  •   

CanadaSettlement in Ford Fiesta and Focus class-action lawsuit approved

15:40  15 may  2019
15:40  15 may  2019 Source:   cbc.ca

John Daly approved to use cart at PGA Championship

John Daly approved to use cart at PGA Championship John Daly has been approved to use a cart next week in the PGA Championship because of an injured right knee. He will be the first player to ride a cart at a major championship since Casey Martin in the U.S. Open at Olympic Club in 1998 and 2012. The PGA of America says Daly applied for the cart through its American with Disabilities Act policy and provided information for the medical staff to review. The former British Open and PGA champion says he has osteoarthritis in his right knee that keeps him from walking a full round. Daly plays the PGA Tour Champions circuit that allows for carts. Daly last walked at a tournament on the European Tour last September in Switzerland.

There is light and perhaps money at the end of the tunnel for some owners of Ford Fiesta and Focus vehicles now that a Canadian court has approved a class-action settlement over the cars' problem-plagued dual-action transmissions.

Current owners may be partially refunded what they paid for their vehicles, according to class-action lawyer Ted Charney, with compensation determined by how often they were forced to replace faulty clutches. Those that lease may get a total refund on payments, less usage.

The settlement, which was approved earlier this month by an Ontario judge, covers the 2011-2016 Fiesta and the 2012-2016 Focus. It's estimated 160,000 of the cars have been sold in Canada.

Phone-smashing charges against McGregor dropped following settlement

Phone-smashing charges against McGregor dropped following settlement Prosecutors have dropped felony robbery and misdemeanor criminal mischief charges against former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion Conor McGregor, TMZ Sports reported Monday. In March, McGregor was captured on video getting into an altercation in Miami with a fan - Ahmed Abdirzak - who was visiting from the United Kingdom. After Abdirzak attempted to take a picture, McGregor appeared to slap the phone out of his hand and then stomp on it several times. "The victim of the crime does not wish to return to the United States and prosecute this case," prosecutor Khalil Madani said during a hearing on Monday.

Halifax resident Jordan Bonaparte went public in 2016 with his concerns about the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission. His Focus had started acting strangely about a month after he bought it in 2013.

"It would go from bumping to, all of a sudden, the car would jerk forward five or seven feet," he said. "The biggest issue at first was my fear of hitting the car in front of me or slowing down and having the car behind me hit me."

He was especially concerned because he had purchased a new vehicle to ensure his new baby would be safe. In the end, after two transmission replacements and needing a third, he and wife stopped driving the Focus because he didn't think it was safe on the road.

Even previous owners will get something

Bonaparte's story touched a nerve with other owners who shared their concerns with CBC News and Transport Canada. The problems included shuddering, delayed acceleration, sudden acceleration and sudden loss of power.

Mother sues TDSB alleging daughter subjected to racist bullying

Mother sues TDSB alleging daughter subjected to racist bullying The mother of a Black girl, who was allegedly punched in the face by a white boy after months of “racist, sexist bullying” and “threats of physical violence,” is suing the Toronto District School Board, saying it failed to protect her daughter. In a statement of claim filed this week in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Tara Quansah alleges Glenview Senior Public School — a middle school near Yonge St. and Lawrence Ave. W. — was first made aware in November that her daughter was being bullied by a classmate.

The federal department said it subsequently received more complaints about the issue than any other in the past 10 years. As of this month there have been 1,936 complaints, although the department said it "is not aware of any injuries or collisions occurring as a result of the transmission performance in these vehicles."

The settlement also offers what Charney calls "modest relief" for people like Bonaparte who sold their vehicles rather continue to drive a car that didn't seem fixable.

If they had three or more transmission hardware part replacements they may be eligible for $250 or a $500 Ford certificate. The amount increases as the number of replacements increases to a maximum of almost $3,000 or an almost $6,000 Ford discount.

Settlement in Ford Fiesta and Focus class-action lawsuit approved © Yvonne Colbert/CBC Halifax resident Jordan Bonaparte was the first Ford owner to speak out publicly about his Focus and its erratic behaviour.

Charney said when negotiating the settlement, he was well aware transmission replacements only seem to fix the problem for a period of time.

Stormy Daniels reaches settlement with Michael Cohen and her former attorney

Stormy Daniels reaches settlement with Michael Cohen and her former attorney Stormy Daniels has reached a settlement with Michael Cohen and Keith Davidson, her former attorney, in her lawsuit that accused both men of working together to protect President Donald Trump. Daniels, an adult-film actress whose given name is Stephanie Clifford, sued Cohen, Trump's former personal attorney, and Davidson last June, accusing them of brokering a deal in which she was paid $130,000 to prevent her from publicly speaking about her alleged sexual relationship with Trump. Trump has denied there was a sexual encounter, but his attorneys admit to approving the $130,000 payment to Daniels to ensure her silence.

For current owners that meet certain criteria, Ford must install a new clutch with a two-year warranty.

This class-action lawsuit differs from others in that there is not a specific amount of money attached to it. The judge who approved it suggested it could cost Ford $50 million, but Charney said at this point "nobody really knows," partly because it also covers those who have problems in the future, something most class actions do not.

"The program will be open for probably another five years until the 2016 cars are off warranty," he said.

He said it is intended to cover a whole variety of situations involving people who have the cars over multiple years.

The settlement also includes an option for Ford to buy back vehicles, but at the automaker's discretion.

Settlement in Ford Fiesta and Focus class-action lawsuit approved © Provided by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Lawyer Ted Charney said this class-action settlement is unusual because it also provides relief for vehicle owners who experience problems in the future. (Submitted by Charney Lawyers)

Owners can get full information from the website of the settlement administrator, RicePoint. A claims form is expected to be posted there by the end of this month. After that, it's expected to take six to 12 months to process them.

Vancouver Aquarium lawsuit against city, park board draws protest

Vancouver Aquarium lawsuit against city, park board draws protest About 20 protesters gathered outside the front gates of the Vancouver Aquarium for several hours Monday to oppose the aquarium's lawsuit against the City of Vancouver and the Park Board.

In Australia, Ford was ordered to pay a $10 million penalty in April 2018 for what the Competition and Consumer Commission called "unconscionable conduct" in the way it dealt with transmission complaints about the vehicles. It is one of the largest penalties handed down by the commission, which it said "reflects the seriousness of Ford's conduct."

In the U.S., a settlement was reached but it's been appealed by some owners who felt it didn't provide enough compensation. A decision from the courts is expected later this year.

Advice for those who've been wronged

As for the man who blew the whistle on the vehicles, Bonaparte said he feels proud to have played a part in exposing the problem.

"I didn't think it would lead to these followup stories and people from all over the country coming forward, but I'm glad it did," he said.

His advice to others who feel they've been treated unfairly: "Protect yourself by being thorough, doing your research and documenting everything and ultimately not giving up."

Transport Canada opened a defect investigation into the vehicles back in November 2016. When asked about the status of the two-and-a-half year investigation, a spokesperson simply said it's "ongoing."

Read more

Ontario Dad Says He Felt 'Threatened' By Doug Ford Voicemail.
A Kitchener, Ont. father says he felt “a little bit threatened” when he received a voicemail from Premier Doug Ford warning him to be careful about accusing the government of corruption. 

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!