Canada: Doug Ford Booed At Opening Of Youth Special Olympics - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaDoug Ford Booed At Opening Of Youth Special Olympics

20:40  15 may  2019
20:40  15 may  2019 Source:   huffingtonpost.ca

Doug Ford jeered, Toronto Mayor John Tory cheered at Special Olympics Ontario event

Doug Ford jeered, Toronto Mayor John Tory cheered at Special Olympics Ontario event The event, which was held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, was supposed to be a politics-free, non-partisan environment. However, it quickly became apparent the crowd favoured one politician in attendance over another. In contrast to Ford’s reception, Toronto Mayor John Tory was cheered when he stepped on stage. Global News asked Ford about the incident on Wednesday at Queens Park. He did not address the jeers. "It was a great event. I support the Special Olympics and it’s so great to see the smile on the kids’ faces and all the energy in the room. Our government supports it, we funded it," Ford said.

Douglas Robert Ford (listen) (born November 20, 1964) is a Canadian businessman and politician serving as the 26th and current premier of Ontario since June 29, 2018.

Special Olympics offers many ways to take part. There are short-term and long-term volunteer opportunities, the option of playing Unified Sports and to become a Our athletes inspire people in their communities and elsewhere to open their hearts to a wider world of human talents and potential.

Doug Ford Booed At Opening Of Youth Special Olympics © LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF ONTARIO Ontario Premier Doug Ford speaks during question period at Queen's Park in Toronto on May 14, 2019.

TORONTO — Ontario Premier Doug Ford laughed off a booing crowd at the opening of the Special Olympics Ontario Invitational Youth Games Tuesday night.

“I haven’t heard that much energy in a long time,” he said. “Boy, that’s the first event I’ve ever had some boos, but anyways.”

The Invitational Games bring together 2,500 athletes between ages 13 and 21.

Opposition MPPs couldn’t resist bringing up the incident in question period Wednesday morning.

(Video by CityNews)

NDP leader Andrea Horwath said the premier can’t show his face in public without being booed, and MPP Taras Natyshak offered Ford his “condolences” on the incident.

Bob Hepburn: Why Doug Ford is worse than Mike Harris

Bob Hepburn: Why Doug Ford is worse than Mike Harris For the last 20 years I have ranked Mike Harris as Ontario’s worst premier — at least in the last 75 years and possibly ever. I was out of the country during Bob Rae’s tenure as premier, years that many Ontarians argue were disastrous, although much of Rae’s troubles can be attributed to the fact he was sworn in as premier about 17 hours before the start of a deep global recession that hit Ontario hard. Now, though, Doug Ford has changed my mind about Harris. That’s because, in less than a year in office, Ford has clearly proven through actions and words that he warrants the title of “Ontario’s worst premier ever.

Special Olympics is the world's largest sports organization for children and adults with intellectual disabilities and physical disabilities

The Youth Olympic Games (YOG) is an international multi-sport event organized by the International Olympic Committee. The games are held every four years in staggered summer and winter events consistent with the current Olympic Games format

In response, Ford raved about the event and slammed the Opposition for missing the event.

“Last night was a great opening, fabulous opening. So many smiles on these kids’ faces,” Ford said.

“I find it ironic coming from the member from Essex,” he added, referring to Natyshak.

“He didn’t even bother showing up. At least we showed up.”

This article originally appeared on HuffPost Canada.

Ford’s cuts are falling heaviest on Toronto.
When Premier Doug Ford cut Toronto’s city council in half in the middle of last year’s municipal election campaign, the Star said it amounted to “spitting in the face of the city and its voters.” Little did we know that was just the opening salvo in what’s turning out to be a sustained campaign by the Ford government to undermine the city’s authority at every opportunity and single out Toronto for specially harsh treatment as it pares back provincial spending.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 4
This is interesting!