Canada: No new trial for Travis Vader, appeal court rules - - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaNo new trial for Travis Vader, appeal court rules

21:21  17 may  2019
21:21  17 may  2019 Source:   cbc.ca

Court to hear man's appeal of convictions in deaths of Calgary couple, grandson

Court to hear man's appeal of convictions in deaths of Calgary couple, grandson The Alberta Court of Appeal is to hear arguments today from lawyers for a man sentenced to life in prison for killing a couple and their grandson. Douglas Garland is appealing his convictions of first-degree murder in the deaths of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and five-year-old Nathan O'Brien in 2014. Garland, 59, is serving a life sentence with no chance of parole for 75 years. Justice David Gates said during sentencing that Garland attacked the three victims in the Liknes home in Calgary, then took them to his farm, where he killed and dismembered them, burning their remains.

Convicted killer Travis Vader 's bid for a new trial has been rejected by the Alberta Court of Appeal . "We see no prejudice having befallen the appellant But after it was discovered that Court of Queen's Bench Justice Denny Thomas had relied on a section of the Criminal Code that had been ruled

READ MORE: Travis Vader gets life sentence for killing Lyle and Marie McCann. Portions of Section 230 were ruled unconstitutional more than 25 Last year, defence lawyers asked the appeal court to order a stay of proceedings or a new trial on the grounds that there were a number of errors in the

No new trial for Travis Vader, appeal court rules © CBC Travis Vader, convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Lyle and Marie McCann, will not get a new trial.

Convicted killer Travis Vader's bid for a new trial has been rejected by the Alberta Court of Appeal.

"We see no prejudice having befallen the appellant as a consequence of the trial judge's analysis, and no benefit in a retrial to test again whether the appellant should have been convicted of manslaughter," the appeal court said in a judgment released Friday.

In January 2017, Vader was sentenced to life in prison for manslaughter in the deaths of St. Albert couple Lyle and Marie McCann.

Last November, lawyers for Vader appeared before the appeal court to argue he should get a new trial on grounds that a number of errors were made during his original trial.

Man who killed elderly couple and bartender has appeal rejected by Supreme Court

Man who killed elderly couple and bartender has appeal rejected by Supreme Court The Supreme Court of Canada has rejected an attempt by triple-murderer Jesse Imeson to appeal a lower court decision that called into question claims that childhood sexual abuse contributed to his lethal behaviour as an adult. Imeson was found guilty of killing three people in Southwestern Ontario in the summer of 2007. On July 19, he strangled 25-year-old Carlos Rivera, a Windsor bartender. Four days later the bodies of Bill and Helene Regier, who had been shot to death, were found in their farmhouse near Grand Bend, northwest of London.

Alberta’s Court of Appeal has rejected convicted killer Travis Vader ’s request for a retrial. Vader was convicted of manslaughter in October 2016 for the deaths of Lyle and Marie McCann. Vader appealed the ruling on the grounds that there were a number of errors made at the trial .

+ Lawyers for a man convicted of killing two missing Alberta seniors have asked the Alberta Court of Appeal to throw out the manslaughter conviction or order a new trial . Story continues below. Related. Bret McCann and Alberta MP frustrated feds haven’t removed outdated parts of Criminal Code.

They argued in court that the trial took too long. They said his convictions should be stayed.

Vader was originally convicted of two counts of second-degree murder.

But after it was discovered that Court of Queen's Bench Justice Denny Thomas had relied on a section of the Criminal Code that had been ruled unconstitutional, Thomas downgraded the convictions to manslaughter.

The McCanns, who were in their late 70s, vanished in 2010 after leaving their home to go camping in British Columbia.

Read more

NewsAlert: Supreme Court orders new trial for manslaughter in Cindy Gladue death.
NewsAlert: Supreme Court orders new trial for manslaughter in Cindy Gladue death

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!