CanadaJudge tosses evidence, acquits Saskatchewan lovers of plotting to kill spouses
Ottawa sex-slave convicts win new trial
Former Ottawa lovers found guilty of using teen girls as sex slaves on the 2014 Victoria Day weekend have had their convictions set aside after the appeal court ruled the trial judge’s errors and misapprehension of evidence reveal a miscarriage of justice.
PRINCE ALBERT, Alta. — A Saskatchewan judge has acquitted a man and a woman of conspiracy to murder their spouses after ruling a key audio recording is inadmissible as evidence.
The judge entered the verdict Monday on what was supposed to be the start of trial for Curtis Vey and Angela Nicholson.
A jury initially convicted them in 2016 and they were each sentenced to three years in prison.
The Saskatchewan Court of Appeal, in ordering a new trial last year, said the judge didn't make it clear jurors must be satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the two intended to commit murder.
Forget burgers, roadkill could be on the menu soon in California
A new bill would create an app for motorists to log big game accidents and apply for a permit to haul elk and deer away, but detractors aren't so sure.
Court heard that Vey, who is from Wakaw, Sask., and Nicholson, who is from nearby Melfort, were having an affair.
They were arrested in 2013 after Vey's wife made a secret recording that appeared to suggest the pair was plotting to kill her and Nicholson's husband. The jury heard that Vey's wife was to die in a house fire and Nicholson's husband was to be drugged and disappear.
Vey and Nicholson argued there was no intent behind their words.
Vey told police that he knew his wife was recording him and talked about the murder plot to give his wife and family something to talk about. Nicholson told officers she never intended to carry out the plan.
Her lawyer, Ron Piche, told reporters outside the courthouse in Prince Albert, Sask. that the public needs to know his client didn't get off on a technicality. She had no genuine intention of killing anyone, he said.
Man who accused judge of corruption gets three days jail for contempt
TORONTO — A frustrated man who accused a judge of corruption and obstruction of justice then refused repeated orders to behave himself in court has been jailed for three days for contempt. In imposing the sentence, Divisional Court Justice David Corbett said Silvano Lochner deserved two or three weeks behind bars but drew leniency for personal reasons. "Wantonly accusing a judge of impropriety because he disagrees with the judge's decision is a clear hallmark of an irrational litigant," Corbett said.
He argued the secret recording on an iPod violated the pair's charter rights because they didn't know they were being taped. Police also had warrants to search for computers but not the iPod, Piche added.
"That omission proved fatal in terms of the Crown's ability to rely on it," Piche said.
Crown prosecutor Lori O'Connor said her office will examine the case and determine whether to appeal.
Vey's wife, Brigitte Vey, said outside the court that she is OK with the acquittal.
"I'm at peace that it's finally over."
The Canadian Press
‘A piece of paper that did nothing’: Advocates say protection orders are failing women in Canada.
Protection orders are meant to act as life-saving tools for victims of spousal abuse, but the very tool designed to help keep women safe is failing them, advocates say.
Scott Peterson breaks his silence on his murder conviction
Peterson, convicted of murdering his pregnant wife and unborn child nearly 15 years ago, reveals in a new A&E documentary he was "staggered" by the ...