Canada: RCMP shooting that left Alberta man partially paralyzed deemed reasonable - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaRCMP shooting that left Alberta man partially paralyzed deemed reasonable

02:30  04 june  2019
02:30  04 june  2019 Source:   msn.com

RCMP doctor won't face charges over historical sexual assault allegations

RCMP doctor won't face charges over historical sexual assault allegations 'After thoroughly investigating each report, investigators determined that the evidence did not support the laying of charges,' Halifax police said Tuesday.

— A Memphis man accused of leaving a man partially paralyzed following a failed murder attempt has been taken into custody. The victim was transported to the Regional Medical Center where he was treated for his injuries. Police said the shooting left the victim paralyzed from the waist down.

VICE News is closely watching policing in America. Check out the Officer Involved blog here. The growing public outrage about police brutality in the United States extended abroad last month after an Indian man was left partially paralyzed following a violent arrest by two Alabama police officers.

RCMP shooting that left Alberta man partially paralyzed deemed reasonable © Provided by Canadian Press Enterprises Inc

EDMONTON — The executive director of a unit that investigates serious police actions says a shooting that left a 29-year-old man partially paralyzed was reasonable and justified.

Susan Hughson of the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team says an RCMP officer was entitled to use as much force as needed to arrest the man who was a risk to the public and threatening to escape.

The man was in a drive-thru at a Lloydminster fast-food restaurant when Mounties tried to stop him in September 2017 in relation to an ongoing investigation.

The driver sped off, and after colliding with an SUV at 124 km/h, got out of his truck and brandished a gun at another driver who had stopped to help.

Former Sask. RCMP officer charged after $16K disappears from Assiniboia charity's bank account

Former Sask. RCMP officer charged after $16K disappears from Assiniboia charity's bank account Assiniboia RCMP say a former member of the detachment has been criminally charged after an investigation into missing charity donations.

A 23-year-old Milwaukee man who told police he had a concealed-carry license has been charged in a shooting that left another man paralyzed . Investigators noted Wisconsin's permit application includes the following language: "It is not reasonable to intentionally use force intended or likely to

Patel remains hospitalized and partially paralyzed , although the hospital reported him to be in good condition earlier this week. His son said that he is now able to move his right leg, and can raise both arms, but his left leg is still paralyzed and he cannot make a tight grip. He had no health problems

Police ordered the man to drop the gun, but he instead continued to threaten the driver and yelled for him "to get out of the truck."

An officer clipped the suspect with a police vehicle, but the man got up and raised his gun, at which point the officer shot him.

The suspect was transferred by air ambulance to an Edmonton hospital, where he was treated for what would turn out to be serious, permanent injuries, including partial paralysis.

A 25-year-old woman who had been driving the SUV was not seriously injured.

"During the course of these events, the 29-year-old man demonstrated he was highly motivated to escape, having driven over an embankment and fled police," Hughson said in a release Monday.

"He was not only prepared to endanger others to do so, but had possibly already injured or killed an uninvolved woman who had simply been in his path, having forcefully collided with her vehicle."

Hughson said the risk "became even more immediate when the man reached and attempted to enter the stopped truck."

She said the man presented "a risk of grievous bodily harm or death" to the bystander as well as to the officer.

The Canadian Press

New Brunswick RCMP investigating suspected arson of garbage truck.
Police say they believe the fire occurred sometime between 11 p.m. on June 8 and 9 a.m. on June 9. The truck was parked on a property on Welsh Road at the time of the fire. The police are now asking anyone with information on the fire or the identity of those responsible to contact them at 506-789-600 or call Crime Stoppers.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!