Canada: ‘Epitome of senseless violence’: Leya Paul gets 9-year adult sentence - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

Canada‘Epitome of senseless violence’: Leya Paul gets 9-year adult sentence

22:40  07 june  2019
22:40  07 june  2019 Source:   globalnews.ca

Young offender given 9-year adult sentence for fatal beating of La Ronge restauranteur Simon Grant

Young offender given 9-year adult sentence for fatal beating of La Ronge restauranteur Simon Grant The offender was 17 when he and two teens beat Grant to death in his restaurant. The offender's lawyer had tried for a youth sentence

‘Epitome of senseless violence’: Leya Paul gets 9-year adult sentence© Facebook A Saskatoon judge lifted the publication ban on Leya Paul’s identity and sentenced her to nine years in prison for killing Patrick Dong.

Describing her killing of Patrick Dong as the “epitome of senseless violence,” a Saskatoon judge sentenced Leya Ann Marie Paul to nine years in prison for the fatal stabbing she carried out as a 17-year-old.

After the now 20-year-old requested an adult sentence in May, Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Shawn Smith lifted the mandatory publication ban on her identity Friday.

READ MORE: Saskatoon young offender who killed Patrick Dong asks for adult sentence

Former high school teacher guilty of sexual assault gets 2 months in jail

Former high school teacher guilty of sexual assault gets 2 months in jail A disgraced former Ottawa high school math teacher was sentenced to two months in jail and two years of probation for sexually assaulting two of his underage female students in 2016. Naoum Abi-Samra, 60 — who taught at Pierre Savard High School in Barrhaven — was found guilty of sexual assault in December 2018 for touching the thigh and breast of one student and the upper thigh of another. Both victims were 15 years old when they were assaulted in Abi-Samra's class. He was also charged with sexual interference, but those charges were dropped when Justice Paul B.

In October 2016, two months shy of her 18th birthday, Paul was with a group who drove Patrick Dong to an isolated area outside of Saskatoon. Under evening darkness, he was beaten with a crowbar and a bat.

Dong ran away for roughly one kilometre before Paul delivered six fatal stab wounds. The victim was left for dead on the side of the rural road.

“The death arose as a result of a frenzy that was no doubt fueled by the fact that the participants had been taking methamphetamine and alcohol,” Smith wrote in his decision.

Police originally charged Paul with first-degree murder.

On Feb. 6, Smith found Paul guilty of the lesser included offence of manslaughter. She was also convicted of unlawful confinement and acquitted of kidnapping.

READ MORE: Teen girl testifies in own defence at Saskatoon murder trial

Okanagan property owner baffled by senseless damage

Okanagan property owner baffled by senseless damage "It was hard not to feel anger," Heaven Fedoriuk said. "Who did this and why?" The Fedoriuk family was alerted to the damage on Sunday by a man who operates a nearby business. "We got up here and we saw everything that had happened," Fedoriuk said. "It was really hard to keep it together." While the vehicles can be repaired, the family doesn't have the funds to make that happen at the moment, she said. READ MORE: How fake news culture and technology played out in a suspicious Lake Country incident The vehicles were not insured and were being stored on the remote, forest property.

Along with a nine-year sentence for manslaughter, Paul received a concurrent sentence of two years in prison for unlawful confinement. With credit for time on remand, she has just under six years remaining on her sentence.

The Crown argued for an 11-year sentence, while the defence sought a five-year sentence.

Smith noted Paul was not the orchestrator of the attack, but was “more or less along for the ride” and felt obligated to join the attack.

“That Ms. Paul joined in the violence, outnumbering the victim, and used a weapon to inflict deadly violence on the victim in a remote location is nothing short of horrific and brutal,” the judge wrote.

Through the court process, Paul has “oscillated between expressions of remorse for her actions and pride at her capacity for violence and defiance.”

READ MORE: STR8 UP calling for funding boost to enact Saskatchewan gang strategy

Crown seeks up to 5 years for Calgary couple guilty of negligence in son's death

Crown seeks up to 5 years for Calgary couple guilty of negligence in son's death CALGARY — The Crown is seeking a sentence of between four and five years for a Calgary couple convicted in the death of their 14-month-old son. A jury last fall found Jennifer and Jeromie Clark guilty of criminal negligence causing death and failing to provide the necessaries of life. The trial heard their toddler, John, didn't see a doctor until the day before he died of a staph infection in November 2013. Jeromie Clark's lawyer says his client should get an eight month sentence at most, while Jennifer Clark's lawyer is seeking a sentence of three to eight months. Crown prosecutor Jennifer Crews says it's clear the Clarks loved their son very much.

He accepted her apology that arose during May’s sentencing arguments as a sincere statement.

At that time, Paul’s lawyer said the woman wanted an adult sentence in the federal system to receive better treatment, education and First Nations programming.

Court heard how Paul is a gang member. Based on a pre-sentence report and psychological assessment, she is at a high-risk to reoffend and reoffend violently.

Speaking outside the courthouse Friday, prosecutor Michael Pilon said the Crown is still appealing the manslaughter decision in favour of a first-degree murder conviction. The Crown also indicated it would seek an adult sentence before Paul asked for one.

If the appeal is successful, the appellant court will likely order a new trial. It also has the power to overturn the decision and deliver a murder conviction, yet such a result is rare, Pilon said.

Quebecer handed 30-day sentence for praising mosque shooter in YouTube videos.
A 49-year-old man has been sentenced to 30 days behind bars for inciting hatred through videos he posted online that praised the Quebec City mosque shooter.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 45
This is interesting!