Canada: B.C. girl overcome by carbon monoxide while camping is recovering slowly - - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaB.C. girl overcome by carbon monoxide while camping is recovering slowly

01:17  20 june  2019
01:17  20 june  2019 Source:   vancouversun.com

Jurassic Park After Dark: Camping out with Raptors fans

Jurassic Park After Dark: Camping out with Raptors fans When Makda Ghebreslassie heard that Raptors fans were camping out to be among the first to get into Jurassic Park for Game 5 of the NBA Finals, she decided she would join them for the night.

B.C. girl overcome by carbon monoxide while camping is recovering slowly Chris Walton with daughter Micaela at the Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children in Vancouver. The 10-year-old is recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning afrter an incident in a tent while camping at Sandy Point Beach in the Shuswap on the Victoria Day long weekend. Micaela's mom, Lucille Beaurain, died after the tent filled with CO after a stove was used to heat the inside of the tent.

KAMLOOPS — A Kamloops girl hospitalized after being overcome with carbon monoxide during a camping trip continues to recover and may be able to return home soon.

Lucille Beaurain died and daughter Micaela Walton, 10, was taken to B.C. Children’s Hospital in Vancouver after the pair was overcome with carbon monoxide May 18 while sleeping in their tent at the Sandy Point Beach campground in the Shuswap.

Public health report released on carbon monoxide poisoning at Montreal school

Public health report released on carbon monoxide poisoning at Montreal school "The recommendations were already known," said report co-author Maxime Roy.

Mounties said a cooking pot used as a source of heat is believed to have been the source of the carbon monoxide poisoning.

The preteen is now at Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children in Vancouver, where she is undergoing physiotherapy. This was preceded by a harrowing few days in the intensive-care unit and a stay in the children’s ward.

“She was basically on life support for three days,” said Micaela’s father, Chris Walton, who has been by her side since the incident. Walton and Beaurain separated when Micaela was a baby.

Each day has been emotional and sometimes there are setbacks in his daughter’s recovery, Walton said.

“It’s really up and down right now,” he said.

Micaela is working on motor skills, such as brushing her teeth and getting dressed, as well as building back her strength, having been bedridden for weeks, Walton said.

Montreal health officials say students need more protection from carbon monoxide

Montreal health officials say students need more protection from carbon monoxide Montreal public health officials recommend accelerating the installation of carbon monoxide detectors in schools and to closely monitor those who have been affected by the toxic gas — checking for possible long-term health issues. The CIUSSS South-Central-Island made the announcement Tuesday in relation to the gas leak that affected some 265 students, as well as employees and teachers. Education Minister Jean-François Roberge had issued a province-wide directive following the incident making it mandatory for all Quebec schools to have carbon monoxide detectors.

Walton said his daughter did sustain brain damage, but the extent isn’t known.

“From what I’ve seen so far, it doesn’t look like it’s going to be severe,” he said. “She basically has a slower reaction time to everything right now.”

Walton said Micaela also has difficulty with her short-term memory.

He said his daughter’s speech and reading abilities are still there, but noted she struggles with her co-ordination, doesn’t have any feeling in her right foot and will sometimes start snapping her fingers without realizing it.

Micaela is able to lift herself up and take a few steps with a walker, but can’t walk yet without assistance, he said.

The end of July is the rough estimate for when Micaela will be released from hospital.

“My main thing is just making sure she’s good and just being here for her, keeping her spirits up and getting her home, and trying to get back to normal,” Walton said.

Read more

‘Very Smart People,’ but a Keyless Car’s Downside Killed Them.
For Sherry H. Penney, a former university chancellor, and her husband, James D. Livingston, a retired physicist, the 2017 Toyota Avalon was a sensible purchase. It was a model she and her husband had owned before, but the new version had electronic sensors and other advanced features. “The Avalon is very safe,” Mr. Livingston’s daughter Susan recalled hearing Ms. Penney say. Last month, one of those features proved fatal. Ms. Penney, 81, and Mr. Livingston, 88, were found dead at their home in Sarasota, Fla., poisoned by carbon monoxide, according to preliminary tests by the local medical examiner.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!