Canada: Calgary couple guilty in son's staph death appeal convictions, sentences - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaCalgary couple guilty in son's staph death appeal convictions, sentences

16:06  05 july  2019
16:06  05 july  2019 Source:   msn.com

‘How is 9 months fair?’: Moose Jaw family pushing for tougher drunk driving sentences

‘How is 9 months fair?’: Moose Jaw family pushing for tougher drunk driving sentences Demi McKechnie was killed in a rollover in February 2018. The impaired driver was sentenced to two years in jail, but released after nine months.

CALGARY — A Calgary woman found guilty in the death of her 14-month-old son is appealing her conviction and sentence .Jennifer Clark and her Jennifer and Jeromie Clark leave a sentencing hearing after to couple were found guilty of criminal negligence causing the death of their

CALGARY — A Calgary woman found guilty in the death of her 14-month-old son is appealing her conviction and sentence . Jennifer Clark and her husband Jeromie Clark were sentenced in June to 32 months in prison for criminal negligence causing death and failure to provide the necessaries of life.

Calgary couple guilty in son's staph death appeal convictions, sentences © Provided by Canadian Press Enterprises Inc

CALGARY — A Calgary couple found guilty in the death of their 14-month-old son are appealing their convictions and sentences.

Jennifer Clark and her husband Jeromie Clark were sentenced in June to 32 months in prison for criminal negligence causing death and failure to provide the necessaries of life.

The trial heard that their son, John, didn't see a doctor until the day before he died in November 2013 and a forensic pathologist testified the boy was malnourished and died from a staph infection.

Jennifer Clark's lengthy handwritten notice of appeal says defence lawyers did not bring up inconsistencies in Crown medical expert testimony.

Christine Wood’s convicted killer expected to be sentenced Tuesday

Christine Wood’s convicted killer expected to be sentenced Tuesday The man convicted of killing Christine Wood is expected to be sentenced in court Tuesday morning. Brett Overby was found guilty in May of second-degree murder for the death of Wood, who died in his basement in August 2016. Overby told a courtroom he was responsible for her death, his lawyer said he didn't mean to kill her. WATCH: George Wood, Christine Wood's father speaks to media According to Overby’s testimony, he and Wood met through a dating app and went for dinner and drinks. When they went back to his place on Burrows Avenue, they had sex twice.

A Calgary couple , convicted in the death of their 14-month-old son earlier this year, have appealed their sentences and convictions . Calgary couple convicted in death of son file appeals . Jeromie and Jennifer Clark were found guilty of criminal negligence causing death and failure to provide the

CALGARY —A couple found guilty in the death of their son have told a sentencing hearing that they feel a deep sorrow for their loss. Article Continued Below. Jurors were shown photos of the child after he had died. A criminal negligence causing death conviction carries a maximum life sentence .

It also says the jury heard overwhelming, conflicting evidence and did not have the necessary medical knowledge to know whether doctors were explaining proper procedures.

During the trial, the Clarks' lawyers argued doctors at the Alberta Children's Hospital were to blame for John's death because they raised his sodium levels too aggressively.

"The medical doctors who are suspected of medical malpractice/negligence (massive sodium overcorrection, massive fluid overcorrection) were given expert witness status at trial," Jennifer Clark wrote in the notice filed Tuesday.

She said the Crown had six experts while the defence could only afford one, former Alberta chief medical examiner Anny Sauvageau, who now works as a consultant.

Motel employee found guilty of sex assault after tricking guest into thinking he was someone else

Motel employee found guilty of sex assault after tricking guest into thinking he was someone else A Calgary hotel employee has been convicted of sexual assault after a judge found that although the victim consented to sex, she believed she had arranged an encounter with a different man. Although Jatinder Brar testified at his trial last month that he had consensual sex with a motel guest, the accused "had to know the complainant believed him to be someone else, " Court of Queen's Bench Justice Robert Hall said in Calgary on Wednesday. Brar, 28, was working as a night clerk at Canada's Best Value Inn Chinook Station when he found the woman's phone number at the motel's front desk in October 2017.

CALGARY —The Crown is seeking a sentence of between four and five years for a Calgary couple convicted in the death of their 14-month-old The trial heard their toddler, John, didn’t see a doctor until the day before he died of a staph infection in November 2013. Jeromie Clark’ s lawyer says his

CALGARY — The Crown is seeking a prison sentence of between four and five years for a Calgary couple convicted in the death of their 14-month-old son , who didn’t see a doctor until the day before he died from an infection.

"The numbers could have biased the jury," Clark wrote.

In his sentencing decision, Queen's Bench Justice Paul Jeffrey said the Clarks posed no threat to society, but prison time was needed to set an example for other parents who might delay getting medical care for their children.

Jurors saw photos of the dead boy with a red rash all over his body and with blackened toes. They were also shown screen shots of online searches for natural remedies for gangrene, such as cabbage leaves and cayenne.

Clark, who is incarcerated at the Edmonton Institution for Women, said she intends to apply for a legal-aid lawyer and, if a new trial is ordered, she wants it before a judge alone.

Jeromie Clark's appeal and Jennifer Clark's appeal could be heard together.

Lauren Krugel, The Canadian Press

Chuckwagon driver banned from future Calgary Stampedes after latest horse death this year.
A driver has been fined $10,000 and banned from competing in this Calgary Stampede and future ones after a horse died in Thursday's chuckwagon races. It was the third horse death in this year's Rangeland Derby. The fine follows an independent chuckwagon safety commission review of the incident involving driver Chad Harden, in Heat 7 of the race, where Evan Salmond's lead horse hit the guard rail and stumbled to the ground at Stampede Park. "We don't think that Chad deliberately meant to do this," safety commission member Mike Whittle said at a news conference Friday.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 5
This is interesting!