Canada: DNA evidence links 3 sexual assaults of young girls in Waterloo region - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaDNA evidence links 3 sexual assaults of young girls in Waterloo region

23:51  17 july  2019
23:51  17 july  2019 Source:   globalnews.ca

B.C. mother recalls last words of love for two girls found dead Christmas 2017

B.C. mother recalls last words of love for two girls found dead Christmas 2017 VANCOUVER — A mother says she "screamed like never before" when police told her that her two young daughters had been found dead in their father's apartment in Oak Bay, B.C., in December 2017. 

DNA evidence links 3 sexual assaults of young girls in Waterloo region © Waterloo Regional Police Waterloo Regional Police are looking to speak with this individual in connection with the sexual assaults.

Waterloo Regional Police say the sexual assault of a four-year-old girl in a Kitchener apartment building on July 6 has been linked to two similar incidents that occurred in the region over the past decade.

“It has been confirmed that one offender DNA profile is linked to all three incidents,” Waterloo police Insp. Mark Crowell said at a press conference on Wednesday. “The three victims involved were all sexually assaulted in stairwells inside the apartment buildings.”

Preliminary hearing begins in Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard's sex assault case

Preliminary hearing begins in Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard's sex assault case Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard is set to appear in court Thursday morning as a preliminary hearing begins to determine if he will stand trial on sex assault charges.

On July 6, a four-year-old girl was playing in the common area of an apartment building at 16 Brybeck Cres. when she was approached by an unknown male and sexually assaulted.

In the other cases, which occurred in 2017 and 2013, girls were sexually assaulted in stairwells at apartment buildings on Patricia Avenue in Kitchener and Barrie Street in Waterloo.

READ MORE: DNA technology sketches suspect in unsolved child sex assaults in Kitchener, Waterloo

“(The buildings) all had only controlled access," Crowell said. “The victims involved are all children females under the age of six. And this offender was targeting children specifically.

Jacob Hoggard case to be heard by judge and jury if it goes to trial

Jacob Hoggard case to be heard by judge and jury if it goes to trial TORONTO — The sex assault case of Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard will be heard by a judge and jury if it goes to trial. Hoggard, who was in a Toronto court Thursday for a two-day preliminary hearing, made the request through his lawyer. He also pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual assault causing bodily harm and one count of sexual interference. Hoggard, who wore a grey suit and white shirt, did not otherwise speak during the proceedings. He sat next to his lawyer and looked ahead. The preliminary hearing will determine whether the case goes to trial.

“We're gravely concerned about the notion that these were targeted innocents.”

He said police believe there may have been other incidents that have not been reported yet.

“It is believed that there may be other victims who have not been yet identified and police are urging anyone with any information to please come forward,” Crowell explained.

READ MORE: 4-year-old girl sexually assaulted in Kitchener apartment building, police say

He said some areas in the region will soon see an increased police presence as officers will be appealing to the public for more information.

“Our officers will be engaging with the members of the community to share information regarding these offences or any outstanding suspect,” he said.

Crowell said there is no evidence that would point to whether or not the person was a resident of Waterloo region.

READ MORE: Man arrested in connection with sexual assault of 8-year-old boy in Kitchener

Cases dropped, charges lowered as court-martial system remains in limbo

Cases dropped, charges lowered as court-martial system remains in limbo Cases dropped, charges lowered as court-martial system remains in limbo

“With an investigation of this magnitude we're just leaving no stone unturned, leaving all possibilities open,” he said.

Police say they are hoping that the composite sketch released on Wednesday or the video evidence released a couple of days after the most recent incident might jog a person's memory.

"We're hoping that today's outreach will cast a wide net to get people talking and thinking about," Crowell said. "Did they observe any suspicious behaviour in or around their home, in a park, in a community centre where children might be?

"Because we can say with certainty the targeted incidents involved children."

The suspect is being described as a white man, around feet 11 inches tall with a medium build.

Police are asking anyone with dashcam or surveillance footage or any other information they might have to call 519-570-9777 ext. 8666 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Sexsomnia case: Dad who molested young teen daughter found not criminally responsible.
An Eastern Ontario father who molested his 14-year-old daughter in 2016 has been found not criminally responsible because he was “suffering” from sexsomnia at the time. His daughter had just moved back in with her father only for him to molest her in her bedroom at night. The father, 39, was found not criminally responsible for sexual assault, touching for a sexual purpose, and touching a child for a sexual purpose after two psychiatrists concluded he had sexsomnia. Ontario Superior Court Justice Michel Z. Charbonneau recently delivered his ruling after also hearing evidence of a sleep study that showed the father became sexually aroused while sleeping.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 6
This is interesting!