Canada: Ontario to hold inquest into murders of three women in Ottawa Valley in 2015 - - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

CanadaOntario to hold inquest into murders of three women in Ottawa Valley in 2015

17:56  29 august  2019
17:56  29 august  2019 Source:   msn.com

Ethics committee to decide whether to dig deeper into SNC-Lavalin report

Ethics committee to decide whether to dig deeper into SNC-Lavalin report OTTAWA — A handful of MPs are returning to Parliament Hill to figure out whether they should dig deeper into the federal ethics watchdog's scathing report of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's handling of the SNC-Lavalin affair. Conservatives and New Democrats pushed for Wednesday's emergency meeting of the House of Commons ethics committee, where MPs will debate whether to invite ethics commissioner Mario Dion to testify. They could also try to call Trudeau, who was found to have violated the Conflict of Interest Act by improperly pressuring former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to halt criminal proceedings against the Montreal engineering giant.

An inquest will be held into the deaths of Carol Culleton, Anastasia Kuzyk and Nathalie Warmerdam, the three eastern Ontario women murdered by Basil Borutski in what's considered one of the worst 22, 2015 , in Renfrew County, Ont. All three women had previously been in relationships with Borutski.

A 60-year-old man convicted of killing three women during an hour-long rampage in the Ottawa Valley two years ago has been sentenced to life in prison A community impact statement read by Jennifer Valiquette and Joanne Brooks with End Violence Against Women in Renfrew County told how that

Ontario to hold inquest into murders of three women in Ottawa Valley in 2015© THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang Basil Borutski leaves in a police vehicle after appearing at the courthouse in Pembroke, Ont. on Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2015.

TORONTO — Ontario's coroner will hold an inquest into the deaths of three women who were murdered by a man on a rampage in the Ottawa Valley in 2015.

Basil Borutski was convicted in 2017 of first-degree murder in the deaths of 36-year-old Anastasia Kuzyk and 48-year-old Nathalie Warmerdam, and of second-degree murder in slaying of 66-year-old Carol Culleton.

He killed the women at their Hastings and Renfrew County homes within about an hour of each other on Sept. 22, 2015. He is serving a life sentence with no chance of parole for 70 years.

Canada travelling to Japan to face former Women's World Cup champs in friendly

Canada travelling to Japan to face former Women's World Cup champs in friendly OTTAWA — Canada's women's soccer team will face host Japan in its first match since being eliminated in the round of 16 at the World Cup. The friendly against the 2011 Women's World Cup champs goes Oct. 6 in Shizuoka. Japan is 6-4-3 against Canada all time, though the Canadians won 2-0 in the most recent meeting at the 2018 Algarve Cup. Canada is 7-2-3 this year, but lost 1-0 to Sweden in the first elimination round at the World Cup in France in June. Japan also lost in the round of 16, falling to the Netherlands. Canada is gearing up for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic qualification tournament early next year.

OTTAWA —Much as he’d done throughout his two-month trial, Basil Borutski betrayed little emotion Friday as a jury found him guilty in the deaths of three former partners who were brutally killed two years ago during an hour-long, revenge-fuelled rampage across the Ottawa Valley .

+ OTTAWA – Basil Borutski had nothing to say for himself Monday as the former millwright, accused of killing three women in the Ottawa Valley in 2015 , refused to enter a plea at the start of his murder trial.

"The inquest will examine the circumstances surrounding their deaths," said a statement from the Ministry of the Solicitor General. "The jury may make recommendations aimed at preventing further deaths."

Ontario to hold inquest into murders of three women in Ottawa Valley in 2015© THE CANADIAN PRESS/Fred Chartrand A billboard on the highway leading to Wilno, Ont., shows shooting victim Anastasia Kuzyk, Wednesday September 23, 2015.

Court heard Borutski had relationships with all three women and sought revenge for their supposed grievances against him. He told police that Kuzyk and Warmerdam lied in court when they helped get him convicted of threatening and assaulting them in previous incidents and was upset at Culleton for shunning him for another man.

On Sept. 22, 2015, Borutski told police he planned on killing himself, but said he decided against it because he believed it was wrong to take an innocent life. He said he had been acting like "a zombie."

"I killed them because they were not innocent," Borutski said in the videotaped interview with police that was played in court at trial. "They were guilty. I was innocent. I've done nothing wrong."

Borutski shot Kuzyk with a 12-gauge shotgun as she cowered behind her kitchen island. He chased Warmerdam around her house before shooting her as she tried to run up the stairs. He broke into Culleton's cottage and strangled her with a cable.

Borutski represented himself at trial, but barely said a word throughout the two-month proceedings.

The Canadian Press

Read more

Why Toronto police are looking at alternatives to stun guns.
The Toronto Police Service is commissioning an independent review of its use of tasers and alternatives to the weapon. But at least one critic says the money could be better spent on fixing the "root causes" that lead to violent confrontations with officers.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!