Canada: While PM Candidates Show Love For Soufi's Owners, Bernier Is Calling Out Their Son - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

Canada While PM Candidates Show Love For Soufi's Owners, Bernier Is Calling Out Their Son

19:55  09 october  2019
19:55  09 october  2019 Source:   narcity.com

Syrian restaurant Soufi's to reopen Friday after closing due to hate messages, death threats

  Syrian restaurant Soufi's to reopen Friday after closing due to hate messages, death threats The Syrian owners of a Toronto restaurant they closed after receiving death threats and hate messages say they will reopen Friday with help from another business. Husam Al-Soufi made the announcement Thursday at a news conference. He was joined by Paramount Fine Foods CEO Mohamad Fakih inside Soufi's, a downtown eatery in Toronto's downtown Queen Street West neighbourhood.Fakih pledged to help the Al-Soufi family reopen the restaurant, saying the family would retain ownership and all profits. "We're going to send a message that hate will never win in Canada," said Fakih.

The son of the owner of Soufi ’ s in Toronto was filmed participating in an antifa protest against Maxime Bernier . Soufi ’ s was supposed to be an immigration success story, not just for the Alsoufi family, but for all of In the post, the Asoulfi family thank their customers, and say that since opening the Syrian

The Alsoufi family, owners of Soufi ' s located on Queen Street West near Tecumseth Street, posted on Instagram on Tuesday, saying the restaurant is shutting down for good. The restaurant ended up embroiled in controversy after the owner 's son , according to a family acquaintance, was involved in a

Justin Trudeau standing in front of a building© justinpjtrudeau | Instagram, soufis_to | Instagram

It was confirmed on Tuesday that the popular Toronto-based Syrian restaurant Soufi’s would be closing their doors for good this week, after the owners revealed they had received a steady stream of hate messages and death threats. The emotional Instagram post that confirmed the business would be closing has now reached several of Canada’s major party leaders, who have all taken to social media to speak out on the matter.

The first to comment on the restaurant closure was Justin Trudeau, who retweeted a Twitter post from CBC food writer, Suresh Doss. The Prime Minister added, “Hatred and threats of violence have no place in Canada. We are always stronger together than when we're divided.”

Owners of Syrian restaurant Soufi's announce plan to re-open after hate mail and death threats

  Owners of Syrian restaurant Soufi's announce plan to re-open after hate mail and death threats The Toronto family forced to shut down their Syrian restaurant after a series of hate messages and death threats say they’re now working toward re-opening the business. Husam Al-Soufi made the announcement outside Soufi's, his downtown restaurant, alongside Mohamad Fakih, the Toronto businessman and founder of Paramount Fine Foods. "We're going to work together to re-open the door of this business," Fakih said, promising further details at a news conference scheduled for Thursday."This family should not lose their profitable, thriving business because of intimidation and hate.

Soufi ’ s , a well-known Queen West restaurant operated by a Syrian family who recently immigrated to Canada, came under fire last week after the son of the restaurant’ s owners was involved in an incident outside of a fundraiser in Hamilton for Maxime Bernier ’s People's Party of Canada (PPC).

On paper, Maxime Bernier would seem the Conservatives’ dream candidate : a free marketer from Quebec, with enough native- son appeal to win seats in his home province yet with the sort of tax-cutting, smaller-government message that can appeal to Western Canadians.

A short while later, Conservative leader Andrew Scheer also shared the same post, adding his own similar message. Scheer wrote, “This is sad news. Threats of violence and intimidation are absolutely unacceptable in Canada.”

The messages of hate and death threats sent to the restaurant started last week, when the owners confirmed on Facebook that a member of their family had been involved in an incident outside of a People’s Party of Canada fundraiser.

Restaurant founded by Syrian refugee family closes amid alleged death threats

  Restaurant founded by Syrian refugee family closes amid alleged death threats A Toronto restaurant founded by a Syrian family showcased in the media as a success story of Canada’s refugee resettlement program has closed down after the owners said they received death threats and hate messages. Soufi’s was founded by Husam and Shahnaz Al-Soufi, who came to Canada after they and their three children were sponsored by a community group in 2015. The family opened the Queen’s St. W.-Palmerston Ave. restaurant and café two years later, touting its Middle Eastern food as a culinary offering “from Syria with love.”“As a result of numerous hate messages & death threats we have received over the past week, we’ve decided to permanently close our shop.

Soufi ’ s , a well-known Queen West restaurant operated by a Syrian family who recently immigrated to Canada, came under fire last week after the son of the restaurant’ s owners was involved in an incident outside of a fundraiser in Hamilton for Maxime Bernier ’s People's Party of Canada (PPC).

Soufi ’ s , a well-known Queen West restaurant operated by a Syrian family who recently immigrated to Canada, came under fire last week after the son of the restaurant’ s owners was involved in an incident outside of a fundraiser in Hamilton for Maxime Bernier ’s People's Party of Canada (PPC).

In a video that went viral, protesters at the event could be seen harassing an elderly couple, while shouting “Nazi scum” at an 81-year-old woman.

A since-deleted Facebook post from the Syrian restaurant confirmed that the owner’s son had been one of the protesters in the video, and expressed sincere regret about the situation that occurred.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Soufi's (@soufis_to) on Oct 8, 2019 at 7:31am PDT

At the time of the incident, People’s Party of Canada leader, Maxime Bernier, took to Twitter to denounce the actions of the protestors and to reach out to the elderly woman involved. Bernier wrote, “Thank you so much Madam for standing up for free speech! We need courageous people like you if we are to keep our country STRONG and FREE.”

When the messages of hate and death threats failed to cease after their emotional Facebook apology, the Syrian restaurant took to Instagram to say that they would be closing indefinitely, in order to protect their family and staff.

Toronto restaurant closes after death threats arise from relative's involvement in Bernier protest

  Toronto restaurant closes after death threats arise from relative's involvement in Bernier protest A Syrian family says it is shutting down its Toronto restaurant after receiving death threats, a week after a relative was involved in a protest at a Maxime Bernier speaking event in Hamilton where a senior was blocked from entering. The Al-Soufi family, owners of Soufi's located on Queen Street West near Tecumseth Street, said Tuesday they are "heartbroken" about the decision."However, we could not put our family members, staff, and patrons in danger," they said in a statement. "The magnitude of hate we are facing is overwhelming."The family also released some of the racist and violent messages they have received.

While the convention in Canada is for a newly elected party leader to enter the House of Commons by winning a by-election in a safe seat, Singh initially opted to lead the NDP from outside of Parliament.

Trump calls for impeaching Romney after senator’ s criticism. Those facing scrutiny suspect he’ s chasing conspiracy theories. The attorney general is particularly interested in a shadowy European professor at the center of much conservative conjecture.

When Soufi’s revealed that they would be closing indefinitely, PPC leader Maxime Bernier also took to Twitter to speak out on the matter.

Sharing screenshots of both Trudeau’s and Scheer’s tweets about the restaurant, Bernier wrote, “Unlike Justin Trudeau and Andrew Scheer, I condemn BOTH the hate and threats directed at this family because of the actions of their son, AND the hate and verbal assault from Antifa thugs directed at an 81-year-old woman at our Hamilton event last week."

Narcity has contacted Soufi’s restaurant for further information about the closure of their restaurant, but is yet to receive a response.

Despite the hate messages and death threats the family have recently received, their final Instagram post explained, “Since we opened up Soufi's in 2017, we have been met with nothing but curiosity, respect, acceptance, and love from the people of Toronto, and for that we are eternally grateful."

There are stories everywhere. If you spot a newsworthy event in your city, send us a message, photo, or video @NarcityCanada on Twitter and Instagram.

Syrian restaurant to reopen in Toronto days after closing over threats .
TORONTO — A Syrian restaurant in downtown Toronto that closed after its owners said they received hate messages and death threats is set to reopen Friday following an outpouring of support from community members and other businesses. The Alsoufi family said its initial decision to shut down the popular restaurant Soufi's came from "a place of fear" and a desire to put an end to the controversy surrounding the eatery. But the family reconsideredThe Alsoufi family said its initial decision to shut down the popular restaurant Soufi's came from "a place of fear" and a desire to put an end to the controversy surrounding the eatery.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 1
This is interesting!