Canada: ‘Walk-in’ protests over education ‘cuts’ to occur at public schools across Ontario, groups say - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

Canada ‘Walk-in’ protests over education ‘cuts’ to occur at public schools across Ontario, groups say

07:10  10 october  2019
07:10  10 october  2019 Source:   globalnews.ca

Union, Ontario government to resume bargaining to head off school strike

  Union, Ontario government to resume bargaining to head off school strike TORONTO — The Ontario government and a union that represents thousands of education workers say they are to resume talks today to head off a looming strike at the province's schools. The Canadian Union of Public Employees has said its 55,000 members plan to walk off the job on Monday after holding a work-to-rule campaign this past week. Several Ontario school boards, including the three largest, have said they will have to close schools if the labour disruption goes ahead.They say the closures are necessary to ensure student safety, which they say would be compromised without CUPE workers on sight.

An estimated 100,000 elementary and high school students in Ontario are walking out of their classrooms this afternoon in protest against the provincial government's recent cuts to education . " Over the last nine months, Doug Ford has taken aim at public education over and over again.

Students across the province demanded their voices be heard Thursday by walking out of class to protest the Ford government’s proposed changes to public education , while at Queen’s Park the premier and education Ontario government to cut 3,475 teaching positions, provincial memos say .

A teacher has been fined $10,000 by the Saskatchewan Professional Teachers Regulatory Board after throwing a marker at a student.© File / Getty Images A teacher has been fined $10,000 by the Saskatchewan Professional Teachers Regulatory Board after throwing a marker at a student.

CUPE and various parent groups say parents, students, education workers and teachers are set to hold 'walk-in' protests at public schools across Ontario on Thursday.

The action comes on the heels of a victory for the union. On Sunday, CUPE announced it had reached a tentative deal with the province for 55,000 educational support workers.

Jessica Lyons, a spokesperson with advocacy group Ontario Families for Public Education, said in a recent statement that the rallies are being held to "protest education funding cuts and to celebrate the incredible gains made for our kids by CUPE education workers in their recent contract negotiations."

CUPE, Ontario government reach deal to avoid education workers strike: education minister

  CUPE, Ontario government reach deal to avoid education workers strike: education minister Dozens of school boards intended to close Monday as the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) and the Ontario government were stuck in contract negotiations. READ MORE: How school boards will tell you if classes are cancelled Monday The contract for 55,000 education workers expired on Aug. 31 and the union began a work-to-rule campaign last week. Members -- including janitors, clerical staff and early childhood educators -- stopped working overtime and performing a number of other duties, including cleaning hallways and emptying garbage cans outside schools.

High school students across Ontario walked out of class Thursday afternoon to protest the provincial government's recently announced changes to School boards and teachers unions have warned that the government's planned increase in class sizes will result in thousands of teaching positions being

WATCH ABOVE: Students from approximately 600 Ontario schools walked out of class Thursday afternoon, protesting proposed education cuts made by the Doug Ford government. Some critics called the protests a political ploy, saying they're concerned teachers may have put kids up to the task.

READ MORE: CUPE education workers, Ontario government reach tentative deal to avoid strike

"With a three-per-cent cut in per-student funding across all Ontario school boards, 10,000 teaching positions lost over four years, and cuts to vital supports and special needs services, the province’s already underfunded public school system is under attack," Lyons wrote.

"Now the tides are turning and the government is realizing that Ontario families and workers cannot be divided, and together we will win what all our kids need and deserve."

Advertising to promote the event has been posted to social media and other union sites, including that of the Elementary Teachers of Toronto (ETT) website.

READ MORE: Ford government says wage cap in tentative deal with CUPE a win

Talks reach make-or-break point as Ontario education workers strike looms

  Talks reach make-or-break point as Ontario education workers strike looms Last-minute contract talks continue on Sunday with a threat of a province-wide strike by Ontario education workers looming. CUPE served notice on Wednesday that some 55,000 members, from office administrators to special education assistants to custodians, are prepared to walk off the job Monday if a deal can't be reached. That notice was issued just two days into a work-to-rule campaign.A strike by education workers would see the cancellation of classes and all recreational and after-school programs starting Monday.

Students across Ontario walked out of their classrooms on Thursday in protest of several recent education policy changes by the Ford government. Some of the issues the students oppose include increases in class sizes and cuts to autism programs.

+ Post-secondary students across Ontario walked out of their classes on Wednesday in protest of the “I just think that the accessibility of education is super important and there are so many students out Elsewhere in the province, walkouts occurred at a number of other post-secondary institutions

The site offers a link to flyers and other resources. The website said Thursday's action has several goals, including the reinstatement of the previous Liberal government's health curriculum, providing an education system that has low class caps, and no mandatory e-learning. Demands also included protections for full-day kindergarten and sufficient special needs supports.

ETFO said on its website that the union "is supporting this parent-driven solidarity action and is encouraging all members to participate. Walk-in actions are a powerful way to show our collective support and defense for public education."

The union said the "action may happen before or after the school day."

The Ontario government is currently in talks with several teachers unions to reach a deal on contracts that represent over 160,000 public-sector education workers in Ontario.

Monday morning strike averted at Ontario schools after deal reached Sunday night .
A strike by support staff at most of the schools across the province was averted Sunday when a last-minute deal was reached just hours before picket lines were set to go up. Education Minister Stephen Lecce released a statement just after 9 p.m. saying a tentative deal had been reached by the Canadian Union of Public Employees, school boards and the province. “This is welcome news for families, students, and workers alike, as schools remain open across our province. “We will continue to negotiate in good faith to ensure students in this province remain in class.” No details of the deal were released pending ratification by the 55,000 members of CUPE.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 6
This is interesting!