Canada Montreal student exposed at frosh party awarded $34K in sexual harassment case
Chinese student, 16, charged with mischief after police say he 'staged' his own kidnapping
A 16-year-old boy newly arrived in Canada from China is facing a charge of public mischief after police say he "staged" his own kidnapping to get attention and cash from his parents. According to York Regional Police, officers were called to a home on Huntington Park Drive in Markham shortly after midnight on Sept. 27. Officers were shown a video of the teen that police say was sent to his parents in China via a social media app.The video showed the student bound, gagged and wearing a blindfold, York police said Tuesday morning in a news release.
Quebec's human rights commission has found a Montreal university failed to protect one of its students from discrimination and harassment.
Kimberley Marin, who was a student at École de technologie supérieure (ETS), was awarded $34,500 in punitive, moral and material damages last March, four years after a group of men removed her skirt at a frosh party, leaving her half-naked in a roomful of people.
Marin said it was a long process, and she was elated by the decision.
"I cried a lot. It was more than everything I could imagine and that I could ask for," she told CBC Montreal's Daybreak.
Marin said she made sure she didn't have to sign a non-disclosure agreement as part of the decision because she "wanted women to know they have rights: they can make complaints, and there are consequences."
Montreal student exposed at frosh party awarded $34K in sexual harassment case
Kimberley Marin, a student at Montreal's École de technologie supérieure, was awarded the money four years after a group of men removed her skirt at a frosh party, leaving her half-naked in front of a roomful of people.Kimberley Marin, who was a student at École de technologie supérieure (ETS), was awarded $34,500 in punitive, moral and material damages last March, four years after a group of men removed her skirt at a frosh party, leaving her half-naked in a roomful of people.
The engineering school issued a statement Tuesday morning that includes an apology to Marin from the director general of ETS, François Gagnon.
"This unfortunate episode has highlighted our organization's failure to deal with harassment complaints," Gagnon said.
The frosh party challenge
According to the written decision, in September 2015 Marin was a second-year student and a team leader during a Hawaiian-themed frosh party. She was wearing a bikini and straw skirt.
Three of the accused were on a different team. Their team leader issued a challenge — bring him Marin's skirt.
The three accused grabbed her from behind, lifted her up and removed the skirt, the decision says. She didn't see them coming and yelled for them to put her down.
Port Moody mayor stepping down, again, over sexual assault charges
Vagramov was originally charged with sexual assault in March — stemming from an incident in 2015 — and took a leave of absence. But he returned to the job in September with the case still working its way through the court system, and Port Moody council voted Tuesday to ask him to take a leave of absence until the case was resolved.Councillor Diana Dilworth, who put forward the original motion last week, says she's very happy with his decision. "I'm very pleased to hear that Mr.
In pulling down her skirt, her bikini bottom also fell down. She realized, once they had left with her skirt, that she was exposed in front of about 100 people, mostly men.
Immediately afterward, she approached a member of her student association to complain. According to the decision, he said something to the effect of, "What did you expect, with the way you are dressed?"
Marin then went to see the interim student services director, Olivier Ringuet, who tried to discourage her from filing a complaint. He made her feel like she was playing the victim, she said in an interview.
"I was very frustrated that nobody was taking my complaints seriously."
Police probe homicide after man gunned down in parking lot in western Montreal
Police probe homicide after man gunned down in parking lot in western MontrealHomicide detectives were dispatched to the Pierrefonds borough Monday morning to probe the city's 13th slaying of the year.
She went back to the student association to file an official complaint and was dissuaded once again. One of the representatives was worried a complaint would prompt the school to cancel future frosh activities.
In April 2016, she filed an assault and sexual harassment complaint with the school's secretary general. An outside investigator found her complaint was founded and that what happened to her at the frosh party constituted sexual harassment, as defined by the school's policy.
She said the decision was never publicized at the school, and the three men faced no consequences.
"Let's say students cheat. They can be suspended or expelled. But if they harass women, nothing happens," she said.
For that reason, she said, she made a complaint to the human rights commission. Her case was heard in October 2018.
In its statement, ETS said things have changed at the school and will continue to change.
It lists measures that have been taken since 2016, including the adoption of a structured and confidential process for the reception and management of complaints, and the establishment of an office dedicated to preventing harassment and resolving issues.
Marin said before that incident, she experienced sexism at the school, where the majority of students are men.
After the incident, she said some of her peers shunned her. Two years ago, a male student screamed at her in the Metro, calling her a liar and attention-seeker, she said. She dropped out soon after that incident.
Marin plans to return to ETS in January — she has two courses left to complete her degree in mechanical engineering.
But right now, she is working at the human rights commission.
"Through all the events, I found that I wanted to defend human rights. I found my dream job there."
Physical, sexual violence common in Atlantic schools, national survey shows .
More than one-quarter of young people surveyed in Atlantic Canada say others had shared sexual rumours or messages about them while they were in school. Reflecting on their years in school, one in 10 of those surveyed also said a sexual act had been forced upon them.The CBC News-commissioned survey asked more than 4,000 young people across Canada about their experiences with violence, bullying, racism and homophobia in school. It was prompted by a months-long CBC News investigation that found a lack of national data on the amount of violence that happens in Canadian schools, along with a culture of underreporting.