Canada: Ford government cuts funding to school councils - - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

Canada Ford government cuts funding to school councils

11:35  20 october  2019
11:35  20 october  2019 Source:   cbc.ca

‘Do the right thing’: Eugene Levy calls on Ford government to reverse autism funding changes

  ‘Do the right thing’: Eugene Levy calls on Ford government to reverse autism funding changes "These families, for them to be going day after day after day without the treatment these kids need is really just heartbreaking," Levy said.Levy spoke to Global News on Tuesday alongside autism care advocate Brenda Deskin.

ABOVE: Critics slam Ford government million funding cuts for education programs. TORONTO – The Ontario government is slashing millions of dollars in funding for programs that are aimed at providing students with extra skills and support, leaving school boards to figure out how

“The government ’s cut of .25 million to the Indigenous Culture Fund at the Ontario Arts Council is a disturbing step back from the TRC’s Calls to Action “The cuts at the Ontario Arts Council come as part of Mr. Ford ’s broader claw backs in Indigenous education and cultural programming and funding

Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Ontario Finance Minister Vic Fedeli are seen making their way through the hallway of Queen's Park to present their first budget to the Legislature. Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Ontario Finance Minister Vic Fedeli are seen making their way through the hallway of Queen's Park to present their first budget to the Legislature.

A provincial grant program intended to help get parents involved in schools is being cut considerably, leaving school councils facing a substantial funding shortage.

The Parents Reaching Out (PRO) grant is a provincial program that provides money to councils for small events designed to get parents engaged in the community. It had a cap of $1,000 per council per year.

Last fall, the provincial government announced the grants were being paused and reviewed.

Ontario Cuts Compensation For Victims Of Crime

  Ontario Cuts Compensation For Victims Of Crime TORONTO — When the man who had forced Charlotte* to stay in the sex trade was arrested in 2015, she had no assets to her name. He had been taking all her paycheques and her payments from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). “He just completely tarnished everything I worked for and everything that I had,” Charlotte, whose real name cannot be used due to a tribunal-ordered publication ban, told HuffPost Canada. “It was very, very“He just completely tarnished everything I worked for and everything that I had,” Charlotte, whose real name cannot be used due to a tribunal-ordered publication ban, told HuffPost Canada.

All of the program and funding cuts the Ontario government has made in its first year in power. Here is a selection of some of the program and funding cuts , many of which have emerged in READ MORE: Ford government cuts funding to Ontario Arts Council , impacting Indigenous Culture Fund .

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today the provincial Progressive Conservative government 's cuts to Ontario's education system are "frightening" — and he worries they could undermine the quality of the education his three kids receive at an Ottawa-area public school .

Ministry officials recently told CBC the budget for the grants will be reduced to $1.25 million, roughly half the amount handed out in previous years.

School boards will now decide how the money is spent, instead of councils applying to the ministry for funding. The ministry will also cap the amount that can be spent on refreshments, advertising, and administration at 10 per cent.

Alexandra Adamo, press secretary to the minister of education, said they want the funds put to better use.

"Under the former Liberal government, up to 60 per cent of the funding went to speakers, airfare, and hospitality," Adamo wrote in a statement.

"We believe that our changes will ensure the Parents Reaching Out grant will better utilize the funds to support projects that enable student learning and well-being."

Provincial cuts to child care subsidies less than expected, Toronto Mayor John Tory says

  Provincial cuts to child care subsidies less than expected, Toronto Mayor John Tory says "Although no reduction in funding would be best, we now have been notified that we won't lose as much, now only $2 million - $5 million," Tory said in a statement.Tory made the announcement in a statement Saturday morning, saying, "Although no reduction in funding would be best, we now have been notified that we won't lose as much, now only $2 million - $5 million.

The Doug Ford government announced in a memo to school boards on Friday that it is cutting million to a fund known as the Education Programs Cut sends 'worrying signal'. The elementary and secondary school programs that will lose all funding or have their funding reduced include supports

READ MORE: Ford government cuts funding to Ontario Arts Council , impacting Indigenous Culture Fund . Doug Ford moves ahead with municipal funding cuts in 2020. Toronto Mayor John Tory said the cost-sharing changes appear to be School boards were also eligible to apply, but the premier’s

Grants helped forge community

Lisa Greaves sits on two Ottawa school councils and is also treasurer for the Ottawa-Carleton Assembly of School Councils (OCASC), an umbrella organization for the councils.

She said the grants have been enormously helpful in getting parents invested in their children's school life and have helped forge a sense of community.

"One or two events a year where you go somewhere and you make a friend and you learn something and you realize that you're not alone? That is profoundly important," Greaves said.

For instance, Greaves said one of her councils had many parents who didn't speak English as their first language — a challenge the grants helped navigate.

"We used it once to translate welcome letters to [those] parents, to try and get parents engaged in what we were trying to do," she said.

a group of people sitting at a table: The provincial government is dramatically altering funding for a grant program that went to school councils. © Provided by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation The provincial government is dramatically altering funding for a grant program that went to school councils.

'Level playing field'

Malaka Hendela, co-chair of OCASC, said the grants have also been a big help for school councils that struggle to fundraise.

Having access to an extra $1,000 created a "level playing field," she said.

"For the schools that have no fundraising capacity, it is going to mean the activities that they do with parents are going to go — unless there's replacement funding," she said.

Ontario legislature resumes with new tone after longest break in nearly 25 years .
TORONTO — Ontario's legislature returned Monday from an extended summer break, with politicians on their best behaviour in a delicate detente following a divisive federal election campaign. Gone were the endless standing ovations and loud heckling from both sides of the chamber that marked an overheated spring sitting, as the government hit a tonal reset after the longest recess in nearly a quarter century. Politicians normally return for the fall session in early September, but the five-month break meant the house didn't sit during the federal election campaign.A subdued Premier Doug Ford called for unity across the province and across Canada.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!