•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Calgary man found guilty in grandson's death appeals manslaughter conviction

01:30  24 october  2019
01:30  24 october  2019 Source:   msn.com

Mark Grant sues Crown, police for wrongful conviction in Candace Derksen murder

  Mark Grant sues Crown, police for wrongful conviction in Candace Derksen murder The man who spent a decade behind bars for the murder of Winnipeg teen Candace Derksen but was acquitted in a retrial is suing police and the Crown prosecutors office.The suit on behalf of Mark Edward Grant was filed on Wednesday.

CALGARY — A judge has found a Calgary man guilty of killing his young grandson . Allan Perdomo Lopez was charged with manslaughter in the 2015 death of five-year-old Emilio Perdomo. The trial heard that Emilio died of a blunt-force brain injury five months after he came to Canada from Mexico

Calgary man who considered his grandson 'an ungrateful demon' found guilty of manslaughter . Justice Richard Neufeld found Allan Perdomo Lopez guilty of manslaughter in the child’ s death Following the conviction , Crown prosecutor Vicki Faulkner asked the judge to revoke Perdomo’ s bail.

a young boy wearing a blue shirt and smiling at the camera© Provided by Canadian Press Enterprises Inc

CALGARY — A Calgary man found guilty in the death of his five-year-old grandson is appealing his manslaughter conviction.

A notice of appeal filed today on behalf of Allan Perdomo Lopez says he also wants to challenge the nine-year prison sentence he was given last month.

His trial heard he brought his grandson, Emilio Perdomo, from Mexico to Canada for what the boy's mother thought would be a better life.

But the child died in 2015 of a traumatic brain injury, five months after his arrival in Canada, and had bruises in various stages of healing all over his body.

Worker at Calgary assisted-living home stabbed to death, client arrested

  Worker at Calgary assisted-living home stabbed to death, client arrested Calgary police say an 18-year-old man is in custody after his caseworker at an assisted-living residence was stabbed to death. Officers were called to the home in southwest Calgary about 2:45 a.m.

Calgary man found guilty in grandson ' s death appeals manslaughter conviction . Closing arguments: Crown says accused in Edmonton attack meant to cause chaos. 39 people found dead in truck container in southeast England. Bolivia's Morales says coup underway as rivals dispute vote.

CALGARY —A man convicted of killing a Calgary Stampeders football player is appealing both his conviction and his sentence. Nelson Lugela was found guilty earlier this year of second-degree murder in the death of Mylan Hicks. He was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 18

The notice filed by defence lawyer Darren Mahoney says his client is asking that the conviction be quashed or, failing that, a new trial be heard by a judge alone.

Mahoney is also asking for his client to be released from custody pending his appeal.

The grounds for appeal include an argument that Queen's Bench Justice Richard Neufeld erred in law when he failed to grant a stay based on the Supreme Court of Canada's landmark 2016 Jordan decision, which set a 30-month time limit for cases heard in superior courts.

Mahoney also argues that the guilty verdict is unreasonable and not supported, and that a statement from his client and evidence obtained via a warrant should not have been admitted.

The offender's wife, Carolina Perdomo, was accused initially in Emilio's death. The Crown stayed a manslaughter charge against her in February.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 23, 2019.

The Canadian Press

'Truly sorry:' Winnipeg officer sentenced to prison for killing pedestrian .
WINNIPEG — Relatives of a pedestrian struck by a Winnipeg police officer told a sentencing hearing they are hurt that the constable drove off and left him dying on the road. Justin Holz, 36, pleaded guilty Wednesday to dangerous driving causing death for the collision that killed 23-year-old Cody Severight in 2017. A provincial court judge agreed to a joint-recommendation by lawyers and sentenced Holz to 30 months in prison. "I think about theJustin Holz, 36, pleaded guilty Wednesday to dangerous driving causing death for the collision that killed 23-year-old Cody Severight in 2017.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 2
This is interesting!