Canada: Ontario government backtracks on expanded high school class sizes - - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

Canada Ontario government backtracks on expanded high school class sizes

21:20  24 october  2019
21:20  24 october  2019 Source:   msn.com

Ontario Cuts Compensation For Victims Of Crime

  Ontario Cuts Compensation For Victims Of Crime TORONTO — When the man who had forced Charlotte* to stay in the sex trade was arrested in 2015, she had no assets to her name. He had been taking all her paycheques and her payments from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). “He just completely tarnished everything I worked for and everything that I had,” Charlotte, whose real name cannot be used due to a tribunal-ordered publication ban, told HuffPost Canada. “It was very, very“He just completely tarnished everything I worked for and everything that I had,” Charlotte, whose real name cannot be used due to a tribunal-ordered publication ban, told HuffPost Canada.

The Ontario government says it will walk back plans to increase high school class sizes in the province.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce made the announcement at a news conference this afternoon.

Lecce says the government will scale the funded average class sizes back to 25 from the 28 it has been proposing for months.

The issue was one of several causing tension between the government and the union representing high school teachers that's currently trying to ink a new labour deal.

Lecce says the move is meant to prove the government's commitment to averting strikes and keeping students in class.

The province's contracts with all school workers expired at the end of August, and unions representing both elementary and high school teachers have requested conciliation during the tense contract talks.


Ontario's public elementary teachers vote 98 per cent in favour of strike action .
Ontario's public elementary teachers vote 98 per cent in favour of strike action . Teachers and the early childhood educators represented by the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) are prepared to act if they need to, President Sam Hammond said Friday morning in announcing the results. The “historic strike vote” sends a message that the government needs to get serious at the bargaining table, Hammond said.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!