Canada Calgary man faces 25 charges after guns, machetes, axes, drugs seized from homes
Winnipeg man busted with over $300,000 in guns
Officers raided a house on Almond Bay, and found a massive stash of guns, ammunition, body armour and explosives. The weapons alone have an estimated value of around $300,000, police said. READ MORE: Winnipeg seeing significant increase in gun crime: police, community groups The seizure included more than 10,000 rounds of ammunition, as well as a wide range of guns, from pistols to shotguns to submachine guns. © Provided by Corus Television Limited Partnership Andrew Michael Krywonizka is facing a laundry list of charges, including 26 counts of unauthorized possession of a firearm. He was detained in custody.
Calgary police have charged a man with 25 offences related to a drug trafficking investigation after seizing firearms, knives, swords, axes, machetes, meth and and a small amount of fentanyl from two homes in southeast Calgary.
The investigation began this fall, when officers in District 4 received a tip about alleged drug trafficking activity in Albert Park.
On Oct. 24, investigators executed a search warrant at two homes in the 1300 block of 25th Street S.E.
Police say they seized the following items as a result of the search:
- Two sawed-off Remington shotguns.
- A Browning X-Bolt rifle.
- A Mossberg 802 Plinkster rifle.
- Multiple Airsoft guns, including two Airsoft handguns and a replica AR-15 M16 rifle.
- Multiple edged weapons, including knives, swords, axes and machetes.
- 25.2 grams of methamphetamine.
- A small amount of fentanyl.
"This drug trafficking activity was a significant concern for the citizens living in Albert Park and directly impacted their sense of safety," said Insp. Asif Rashid in a news release.
Fraud, corruption trial underway for former SNC-Lavalin executive Sami Bebawi
MONTREAL — The fraud and corruption trial of a former executive with the Montreal engineering giant SNC-Lavalin has gotten underway at the Montreal courthouse. Jurors were selected earlier this week in the trial of Sami Bebawi, and the first witnesses are due to testify today. Bebawi, 73, faces eight charges including fraud, corruption, laundering proceeds of crime, possession of stolen goods and bribery of foreign officials. The charges wereJurors were selected earlier this week in the trial of Sami Bebawi, and the first witnesses are due to testify today.
Darrin Ernstd Arndt, 51, is charged with:
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking.
- Possession of a controlled substance.
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
- Knowing possession of a weapon with no registration.
- Possession of a restricted/prohibited firearm with ammunition
- Possession of an imitation weapon for a dangerous purpose.
- Two counts each of careless storage of a firearm and knowing possession of an unlicensed weapon.
- Seven counts of failing to comply with a recognizance order.
- Eight counts of possession of a weapon contrary to a prohibition order.
The Calgary Police Service says the investigation is ongoing.
Calgary man alleged kingpin of international crime network after record drug bust .
Alberta police and U.S. officials have pulled off a record drug bust, seizing millions of dollars worth of drugs, cash and guns, and arresting a Calgary man alleged to be at the centre of a massive drug network.More than $15-million worth of drugs, roughly $4.5 million in cash and assets and 13 firearms were seized through Project Coyote, a two-year investigation led by Calgary officers, said Dwayne Lakusta, head of Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams (ALERT).