Canada Nazi items pulled from military memorabilia auction in B.C. after outcry
Ghostly Nazi-era motorway resurfaces in German forest
In the middle of a dense Bavarian forest, amateur historian Dieter Stockmann points to the ghostly shapes of an abandoned motorway from the Nazi era. The remains of Route 46 have always been known about but the area was once "taboo", according to Stockmann, who has studied the project for 20 years.But today the site is drawing visitors and local authorities are clamouring to turn it into a full-blown tourist attraction -- as another means of countering Nazi propaganda.Juergen Lippert, mayor of the Gemuenden am Main municipality, where most of the road is located, organises around a dozen guided tours every year.
An auction house in Richmond, B.C., has removed some Nazi memorabilia it initially listed for sale this weekend after backlash from the community.
More than 30 items originating in Germany during the Second World War — including a large red flag with a swastika — were posted for sale on Maynards Fine Art and Antiques's website priced between $150 to $250.
Trump ignores Pentagon advice and intervenes in military war crimes cases
President Donald Trump ignored Pentagon advice Friday and pardoned two service members, while also restoring the rank of a third after all faced war crimes allegations. Trump granted full pardons to Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance and Army Major Mathew Golsteyn, and restored the rank of Navy SEAL Eddie R. Gallagher, who had been demoted. Lorance was released from the United States Disciplinary Barracks in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, just before 10:30 p.m. local time Friday. He was wearing his Army uniform, according to CNN Producer Dan Shepherd who witnessed the reunion.
"We were disgusted and deeply concerned," said Nico Slobinsky with the Vancouver branch of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs.
"These items are dripping in the blood of six million Jewish men, woman and children who were murdered during the Holocaust."
They were part of an auction scheduled for Saturday that features more than 300 pieces of historic firearms and military paraphernalia from around the world.
Slobinsky said Nazi memorablia, even though legal to sell in Canada, shouldn't go to collectors or dealers.
"We are appalled that anyone would seek to profit from the sale of these items," he said. "And it's always a concern that these items could end up in the wrong hands."
Picasso portrait snags Canadian record-setting $9.1M at Toronto auction
TORONTO — A Pablo Picasso portrait has sold for $9.1 million, making it the most valuable work by a non-Canadian artist to sell at auction in the country. The 1941 painting sold Wednesday at the Heffel Fine Art Auction House depicts photographer Dora Maar, who during her relationship with Picasso served as the principal subject of his "Weeping Woman" series. The pre-auction estimate for "Femme au chapeau" was $8 million to $10 million. The Canadian highlight of the auction was the Emily Carr painting "Street, Alert Bay," which fetched $2.4 million.
Hugh Bulmer, vice-president of Maynards and principal auctioneer, said selling items from periods of war or genocide can be a difficult issue to balance.
"I like to tell the story of history and I want the next generation to be aware of it, rather than sweeping it under the table," he said.
"But for the good of the community, and being a business in the community, we've decided to withdraw [some of the items]."
Any items with overt Nazi symbols, like the swastika, will be returned to the owner and not put up for sale at the weekend auction. Other German military items from that period, such as helmets, are still listed.
Bulmer pointed out it's not just items from Nazi history that are tainted in blood and violence.
The auction is also selling memorabilia from conflicts around the world, including the American Civil War and battles between the British Empire and the Zulu Kingdom.
"All these pieces — yes, they are from warfare but it's part of our history," he said.
He said the action house will be reviewing items on a case-by-case basis in the future.
'My country fed me to the wolves:' Veteran slams government settlement for military sexual misconduct victims .
A former Armed Forces member says the sexual misconduct settlement fails to take full responsibility for the harm done to victims like him and neglects concrete steps to fix the continuing culture problem in the military.That anguish bubbled to the surface again this week when the Federal Court approved the government's $900-million settlement to address the class action lawsuit alleging rampant sexual misconduct in the military and at the Department of National Defence.