Canada: Court clears $900M settlement for military and civilian victims of sexual misconduct - - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

Canada Court clears $900M settlement for military and civilian victims of sexual misconduct

01:15  26 november  2019
01:15  26 november  2019 Source:   cbc.ca

Omar Khadr appeal American military court remains in limbo: lawyer

  Omar Khadr appeal American military court remains in limbo: lawyer A military court is refusing to lift a stay of Omar Khadr's appeal of his convictions in Guantanamo Bay. His Edmonton lawyer, Nate Whitling, says the new order by the United States Court of Military Commission Review could mean years of additional delay for his client. The Canadian-born Khadr was captured as a wounded 15-year old in Afghanistan in 2002 and later pleaded guilty to five war crimes — including the murder of an American specialHis Edmonton lawyer, Nate Whitling, says the new order by the United States Court of Military Commission Review could mean years of additional delay for his client.

The Canadian government has made a C$ 900 million cash offer to settle lawsuits by victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault and gender-based Although the settlement must be formally approved by a federal court , the victims ’ lawyers have agreed to it. A court hearing is scheduled for September.

Sexual misconduct in military remains despite crackdown. The settlement also comes after the RCMP announced earlier this month it was One of the problems originally cited in the Deschamps report was that victims of sexual misconduct within the military generally had to file their

The Federal Court has formally signed off on a $900 million class action lawsuit settlement for members of the Canadian military and employees of the Department of National Defence who were victims of sexual assault and misconduct.

The case was initiated by seven former members of the Armed Forces on behalf of past members and those still serving.

The court determined the federal government's settlement offer is fair and reasonable, said a statement from the law firm representing the victims, who are now being encouraged to apply for compensation.

The settlement provides for payments of between $5,000 and $55,000 for victims of sexual misconduct

Lauren Alaina Opens Up About Ex John Crist After Sexual Misconduct Allegations (Exclusive)

  Lauren Alaina Opens Up About Ex John Crist After Sexual Misconduct Allegations (Exclusive) Five women came forward earlier this month accusing Crist of sexual misconduct.The country singer announced her breakup from Crist in mid-September, just before her debut on Dancing With the Stars. She said their split was undramatic. Earlier this month, five women came forward to Christian magazine Charisma News detailing their allegations of sexual misconduct against the comedian. He issued a lengthy apology to ET, writing in part, "While I am not guilty of everything I've been accused of, I confess to being guilty of this -- I have treated relationships with women far too casually, in some cases even recklessly.

OTTAWA — Canada will set aside close to 1 billion Canadian dollars to settle claims of sexual harassment and misconduct within its military . The proposed settlement figure of 900 million Canadian dollars, or about 0 million

settlement for victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault and gender-based discrimination in the country’s military in response to class action experienced sexual misconduct in our workplace,” Deputy Defense Minister Jody Thomas and the military ’s top commander, General Jonathan Vance

Victims who experienced exceptional harm and have been denied Veterans Affairs benefits could be eligible for up to $155,000, the statement said.

The federal government did not admit liability in the case.

Federal Court Justice Simon Fothergill signed off the case Monday, little more than four months after the settlement was first announced by the Liberal government.

"It is a historic settlement involving some of Canada's most important institutions and the brave members of the Canadian military who put their lives at risk for Canada's protection," said Jonathan Ptak, one of the lawyers for the victims.

"It is one of the largest settlements in Canadian history, providing compensation of up to $900 million — but more importantly [it] provides the opportunity for healing and repair to this important institutional relationship."

Massage therapist Mark Donlevy sentenced to 4 years for 6 sexual assaults .
Mark McMahon Donlevy knew “he had no consent” and “was taking advantage of his position” when he sexually assaulted six women, a Saskatoon judge said before sentencing the former registered massage therapist to four years in prison. Donlevy will serve the four years consecutively to a three-year sentence he is currently serving after being convicted of sexual assault for date raping a women he met online in 2004.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 3
This is interesting!