Canada: $900M military sexual misconduct settlement 'huge relief' for plaintiff - - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

Canada $900M military sexual misconduct settlement 'huge relief' for plaintiff

15:16  28 november  2019
15:16  28 november  2019 Source:   cbc.ca

Some military personnel linked to hate warned, disciplined but allowed to stay

  Some military personnel linked to hate warned, disciplined but allowed to stay OTTAWA — The Department of National Defence says 16 military members that a report last year linked to hateful actions or groups have been warned, disciplined or ordered to take counselling, but allowed to remain in uniform. National Defence had previously reported that seven of the 36 members identified through the 2018 military-intelligence report on white supremacy and hate groups in the ranks were no longer in the Canadian Armed Forces. TheNational Defence had previously reported that seven of the 36 members identified through the 2018 military-intelligence report on white supremacy and hate groups in the ranks were no longer in the Canadian Armed Forces.

Plaintiffs in a class-action lawsuit alleging sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces will be compensated after the government reached a Woman leading class-action lawsuit over alleged sexual misconduct in Armed Forces satisfied with settlement . Lead plaintiff Amy Graham said that

Plaintiffs in sexual misconduct and harassment military settlement . READ MORE: Feds agree to $ 900 M settlement over military sexual misconduct class action. The settlement comes more than four years after former Supreme Court Justice Marie There will be an 0-million cap on settlements

A file photo of members of the Canadian military © Getty A file photo of members of the Canadian military

One of the lead plaintiffs in a successful $900 million class-action lawsuit for members of the Canadian military and the Department of National Defence hopes the settlement brings closure for people who experienced sexual assault and misconduct.

Glynis Rogers, a former military officer from Yarmouth, N.S., said it was a "huge relief" to learn the Federal Court formally signed off on the government's offer Monday

Rogers and six other former members of the armed forces launched the class-action suits on behalf of past and current members. They argued female service members were subjected to systemic gender-based discrimination, bullying, sexual harassment and sexual assault at work. 

Omar Khadr appeal American military court remains in limbo: lawyer

  Omar Khadr appeal American military court remains in limbo: lawyer A military court is refusing to lift a stay of Omar Khadr's appeal of his convictions in Guantanamo Bay. His Edmonton lawyer, Nate Whitling, says the new order by the United States Court of Military Commission Review could mean years of additional delay for his client. The Canadian-born Khadr was captured as a wounded 15-year old in Afghanistan in 2002 and later pleaded guilty to five war crimes — including the murder of an American specialHis Edmonton lawyer, Nate Whitling, says the new order by the United States Court of Military Commission Review could mean years of additional delay for his client.

OTTAWA — The federal government promised $ 900 million in compensation Thursday to settle multiple class-action lawsuits lodged on behalf of survivors of sexual harassment Amy Graham, a primary plaintiff in that case, said the settlement was not just about monetary compensation, and

OTTAWA—The federal government promised $ 900 million in compensation Thursday to settle multiple class-action lawsuits lodged on behalf of survivors of sexual harassment, gender discrimination and sexual assault in the military . The settlement provides 0 million for members of the Canadian

She said she was pleased to see that while the government has not admitted liability, it is acknowledging that people were harmed.

"Now that the settlement is actually approved, it will help women and those members who were actually affected to finally get some closure and acknowledgement of the harm," she told CBC's Maritime Noon

A chance to speak out

The federal government also agreed to set up a restorative-measures process so that members of the class action can tell senior Canadian Forces or Department of Defence officials about the misconduct they experienced. 

"It's non-intrusive; it won't re-trigger those members who apply. It allows members to actually speak out about the harm, whether publicly or privately," said Rogers. "They'll actually have an opportunity to say what the long-term effects have been, what they actually went through, what they experienced." 

Lauren Alaina Opens Up About Ex John Crist After Sexual Misconduct Allegations (Exclusive)

  Lauren Alaina Opens Up About Ex John Crist After Sexual Misconduct Allegations (Exclusive) Five women came forward earlier this month accusing Crist of sexual misconduct.The country singer announced her breakup from Crist in mid-September, just before her debut on Dancing With the Stars. She said their split was undramatic. Earlier this month, five women came forward to Christian magazine Charisma News detailing their allegations of sexual misconduct against the comedian. He issued a lengthy apology to ET, writing in part, "While I am not guilty of everything I've been accused of, I confess to being guilty of this -- I have treated relationships with women far too casually, in some cases even recklessly.

A federal court has approved a $ 900 million settlement for victims of sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces. The government of Canada agreed to settle a class action lawsuit in the summer over claims of sexual harassment, sexual assault and gender discrimination.

Ottawa sets aside $ 900 M to settle sexual misconduct lawsuits against Canadian Armed Forces. Military justice system doesn't breach charter rights "It is a historic settlement involving some of Canada's most important institutions and the brave members of the Canadian military who put their

Rogers said there were a number of incidents, including a sexual assault, during her time in the forces that led her to speak out. 

She joined the forces right out of high school and attended the Royal Military College of Canada. After graduating with first-class distinction with a bachelor of science in physics and mathematics, she took an aerospace engineering course as a second lieutenant in Borden, Ont. 

At CFB Borden she and other women were subjected to demeaning comments and behaviour, including being called emotionally unstable. Rogers took a medical dismissal in 2016. 

"The overwhelming culture was very misogynistic and not really a safe environment for women or LGBTQ-plus members. So it was more attempting to actually affect change in the military so that nobody else had to go through what I did," she said Wednesday. 

Former B.C. military leader faces jail time for child pornography possession

  Former B.C. military leader faces jail time for child pornography possession "Obviously this is a disturbing situation," DND Army spokesperson Lt. Col. Doug MacNair told Global News. "It's not conduct we would expect from the member of the Canadian military particularly those that rise to a high rank."Parker was set for a three day trial on three charges (accessing, importing and possession of child pornography) in B.C. Provincial Court in Kelowna on Monday but instead pleaded guilty to one count of possession, 163.1(4) of the Canadian Criminal Code, according to B.C. Crown Counsel spokesperson Dan McLaughlin.

Ottawa sets aside $ 900 M to settle sexual misconduct lawsuits against Canadian Armed Forces. During the last four years, the Canadian military has waged a high-profile campaign to stamp out sexual misconduct and Plaintiff in military sexual misconduct lawsuit pleased with settlement .

people alleging sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces said Thursday she was satisfied with a settlement reached and that it wasn't about 900 million to compensate plaintiffs in the class-action, with an 0-million cap on settlements for military victims and 0-million cap for civilians.

After leaving the military, Rogers picked up photography as a way to cope and is now studying it full time.

The settlement also includes a commitment to a comprehensive external review of the military's progress in addressing sexual misconduct. Rogers is hopeful she'll see a shift in the military culture and said so far, it seems there has been progress. 

'Vulnerable' being lead plaintiff

Rogers said being one of the lead plaintiffs was tough and she had reservations about coming forward. 

"It makes me feel extremely vulnerable. But I think it was needed. It's been a bit of a roller coaster, but we're here. We finally made it. The settlement was approved. It was worth it."

Victims of sexual misconduct will be eligible for compensation between $5,000 and $55,000 depending on what happened to them and how many people submit claims.

Some may be eligible for up to $155,000, if there were previously denied benefits. As one of the plaintiffs, Rogers will receive a $10,000 honorarium. 

MORE TOP STORIES

'My country fed me to the wolves:' Veteran slams government settlement for military sexual misconduct victims .
A former Armed Forces member says the sexual misconduct settlement fails to take full responsibility for the harm done to victims like him and neglects concrete steps to fix the continuing culture problem in the military.That anguish bubbled to the surface again this week when the Federal Court approved the government's $900-million settlement to address the class action lawsuit alleging rampant sexual misconduct in the military and at the Department of National Defence.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 2
This is interesting!