'Monopolies are very poor for the end consumer,' says B.C. doctor behind long push for private care
Closing arguments resumed Monday in a years-long B.C. Supreme Court battle over whether medical patients, when faced with long wait times, have the constitutional right to seek out medically necessary services by paying out of pocket or through private insurance. Those opposed to a two-tier or parallel public-private system worry that such a system favours patients who can afford to pay as opposed to those who need services the most. Last year, the B.C. government said it would begin enforcing provisions of the province’s Medicare Protection Act that prohibit private billing for medically necessary care.
CALGARY — A prosecutor in the trial of two people accused in a Calgary quadruple killing has told jurors the case is like a journey into the heart of darkness.
Brian Holtby has delivered the Crown's closing arguments in the trial of Tewodros Kebede and Yu Chieh Liao.
The pair are accused of first-degree murder in the death of Hanock Afowerk, who the jurors were told was a petty criminal who made fake identification.
Holtby told the jury that Afowerk was kidnapped, tortured and killed for little more than monetary gain and perhaps an enjoyment in inflicting pain.
Three other people — Cody Pfeiffer and sisters Tiffany Ear and Glynnis Fox — were found dead in Afowerk's car early on July 10, 2017, near a construction site.
Appeal of Anne Norris verdict dismissed by Supreme Court of Canada
The Supreme Court of Canada has dismissed an appeal from Newfoundland and Labrador's attorney general to review the Anne Norris case. In 2018, a 12-person jury found Norris not criminally responsible in the death of Marcel Reardon, whom she admitted to killing by striking him repeatedly in the head with a hammer. The Crown had filed an application to the Court of Appeal of Newfoundland and Labrador earlier this year to request a new trial, but that appeal was rejected in a unanimous decision. The attorney general then filed an appeal to the country's top court.
Liao is charged with accessory after the fact in the deaths of all three, while Kebede is charged with being an accessory in Pfeiffer's death.
Holtby says Pfeiffer, Ear and Fox lived together in an apartment and it's the Crown's theory they were killed for being witnesses.
All three were shot to death before their bodies were burned, the trial heard.
"This case has been a journey into the heart of darkness, and we have seen the horror that human beings can inflict upon one another," Holtby said in his closing arguments.
The Crown's case rested heavily on cellphone evidence that put the accused at the sites of where it's believed the three lived, were killed and where their bodies were disposed.
The defence did not call any evidence.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 5, 2019.
Lauren Krugel, The Canadian Press
'It hit my heart:' Man, woman found guilty in Calgary quadruple killing case .
CALGARY — A Calgary jury has found a man and a woman guilty of all charges related to a 2017 quadruple homicide that stemmed from a kidnap-for-ransom plot, but an aunt of two of the victims says she's still struggling to make sense of what happened. Yu Chieh Liao, who also goes by the first name Diana, and Tewodros Kebede were convicted Thursday of first-degree murder in the death of 26-year-old Hanock Afowerk. Liao was also found guilty ofYu Chieh Liao, who also goes by the first name Diana, and Tewodros Kebede were convicted Thursday of first-degree murder in the death of 26-year-old Hanock Afowerk.