•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Windsor Fire launching blitz to check for carbon monoxide alarms

09:35  08 december  2019
09:35  08 december  2019 Source:   windsorstar.com

Pet hair caused fatal CO poisoning, police say

  Pet hair caused fatal CO poisoning, police say A buildup of pet hair clogged an Orléans couple's gas boiler last month, killing the man and sending the woman to hospital with severe carbon monoxide poisoning, Ottawa police said Friday. "The home's gas boiler had a buildup of animal hair that caused very poor ventilation," police said in a news release.The couple had removed the batteries from the home's carbon monoxide detectors, police said."The house was equipped with two combination smoke/CO detectors, which had been beeping because there was a detection of low CO levels in the home.

Where do you fit a carbon monoxide detector ? Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in every room that contains a fuel burning appliance. Optical alarms contain an infrared LED which pulses a beam of light into a sensor area to check for smoke particles -they are better at detecting

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas that can escape from any fuel-burning appliance, such as a gas furnaces Carbon monoxide (CO) alarms sound an alarm before an average, healthy adult would experience symptoms. The concentration of carbon monoxide over time poses a threat.

a group of people posing for the camera: Windsor Fire and Rescue Chief, Stephen Laforet, centre-left, and Brian Chauvin, operations manager at Enbridge Gas Inc., are joined on the left by deputy chief, Andrea De Jong, and chief fire prevention officer, John Lee, and Nelly Green, fire protection advisor, and Nancy Christ, public education officer, during a press event announcing the donation of 360 smoke and CO detectors on Monday, Nov. 4, 2019.© Dax Melmer Windsor Fire and Rescue Chief, Stephen Laforet, centre-left, and Brian Chauvin, operations manager at Enbridge Gas Inc., are joined on the left by deputy chief, Andrea De Jong, and chief fire prevention officer, John Lee, and Nelly Green, fire protection advisor, and Nancy Christ, public education officer, during a press event announcing the donation of 360 smoke and CO detectors on Monday, Nov. 4, 2019.

Windsor fire prevention officers will be going door-to-door starting Monday, Dec. 9, to make sure people have properly installed carbon monoxide alarms.

If they don’t have one, a fire crew will stop by and install one, a news release from Windsor Fire and Rescue Services says. Last month, energy company Enbridge provided 360 combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to Windsor Fire as part of its “Project Zero” campaign to help protect at-risk residents with advance warning of dangerous situations in their homes.

1 woman dead, 2 others injured after carbon monoxide exposure in Laval, police say

  1 woman dead, 2 others injured after carbon monoxide exposure in Laval, police say Police still do not know how the three people were poisoned by the toxic gas, but they do not suspect foul play, according to Laval police spokesperson Sgt. Geneviève Major. Police were called to the townhouse at around 2:30 p.m. in the Laval-des-Rapides district, near the intersection of Ampère Avenue and de Royan Street. They were told a man was in respiratory distress, but when police arrived, they discovered there were multiple victims — including the woman who was declared dead on the spot. A 53-year-old man and a 40-year-old woman were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at the hospital.

Combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors significantly cut down on maintenance by halving the number of batteries, wired connections, and mount you need to check and replace. When it comes to fire safety, reducing the complexity and potential error is a smart way to stay prepared.

Ontario’s new mandatory carbon monoxide alarm law – The Hawkins-Gignac Act – requires CO alarms near all sleeping areas. Windsor Fire and Rescue Services would like to remind residents that open-air burning is not A website has been launched as part of the City’s Sewer Master[…]

“We know that working carbon monoxideand smoke alarms can save lives,” Fire Chief Steve Laforet said in the news release. “Project Zero has helped us provide alarms to those in our community that may not be able to obtain them on their own, and Windsor Fire and Rescue Services is better able to deliver our important safety message and create a safer city.”

Windsor Fire has been working with the local VON and Goodfellows organizations to help identify at-risk residents who may not have a carbon monoxide alarm. Carbon monoxide is a toxic, odourless gas known as the “silent killer.” The carbon monoxide blitz will happen for one week starting Monday.

One man dead in overnight southwest Calgary house fire .
A house fire that started late Friday night in the southwest community of Glendale left one man dead, Calgary Fire Department officials say. Fire crews arrived on scene at Kelwood Place S.W. around 11 p.m. Friday after receiving reports of a fire from neighbours. There, they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the back of a single-storey house. Fire crews found a man inside the home. He was transferred to hospital by Alberta Health Services but died as a result of fire-related injuries. © Brendan Miller Calgary Fire crews were called to the home on Kelwood Place SW where a male was located inside the home. He was sent to hospital but succumbed to fire related injuries.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!