'Very likely' Manitoba will seek intervenor status in Quebec Bill 21: Pallister
Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister says it is "very likely" the province will seek intervenor status in Quebec's controversial Bill 21 if the case heads to the Supreme Court of Canada. "It's very likely but we'll wait and see what our partners are doing as we're trying to co-ordinate efforts in respect of gathering support to oppose this piece of misguided legislation," Pallister said Thursday in a scrum speaking to reporters. Bill 21 bans public school teachers, government lawyers and police officers, among other civil servants, from wearing religious symbols at work.
The No Fly List is a list created and maintained by the United States federal government's Terrorist Screening Center (TSC) of people who are prohibited from boarding commercial aircraft for travel
All persons are presumed innocent until proven otherwise. The TSA is an independent, non-government organization and is in no way affiliated with any branch of any government, corporation, individual or other entity, whether real or imaginary.
A 10-year-old boy at the forefront of a fight to solve the problem of innocent Canadians appearing on the country's so-called no-fly list has once again found himself red-flagged, amid promises from the federal government that a fix is on the way.
Adam Ahmed was just six years old when he was stopped at Toronto's Pearson International Airport while travelling with his father to a hockey game to see his beloved Montreal Canadiens — and flagged as a possible security threat.
Human trafficking hotline that started 6 months ago already has over 1,000 calls
Canada's national human trafficking hotline has had over 1,000 calls come through, both by phone and online, just six months after launching."I thought I had a crappy boyfriend," she said.
As Obama calls for a ban on gun purchases by those on the terrorist watch list , even staunch gun-control advocates raise concerns about a document that has mistakenly included leading politicians, military veterans and babies.
It’s the federal no - fly list , a collection of names of people who are not allowed to board commercial flights into or out of the United States. A number of high-profile lawsuits have claimed the government unjustly added people to the list and blocked their efforts to have their names removed.
Nearly four years later, it's happened again — again on the way to see the Habs — with the government now saying a system isn't expected to be operational until late 2020.
That's news to Ahmed's mother, Khadija Cajee, who said the government had previously told her family a redress system would be in place in June of next year.
"It's definitely not what to hear, but as they know by now, we're not going anywhere," Cajee said. "We just try to deal with it as best we can and keep it pressure up."
'This doesn't inspire confidence'
Since Ahmed's story first made headlines in 2016, he and his parents — along with dozens of other families — have been actively pushing for a redress system for those falsely flagged on the controversial list, which is built on names rather than on unique identifiers such as dates of birth or passport numbers.
The 9 Most Googled Red Carpet Celebs of 2019
With the year winding down, Google is taking a look back at 2019 to see what the people want to know. And when it comes to the red carpet, it turns out there are nine celebs they care about above all others. And some may surprise you. Grammys 2019 Red Carpet Fashion: See the Stars’ Styles According to a report from the search engine, the top trending searches for people on the red carpet include A-listers like Pose‘s Billy Porter, Cardi B, Lady Gaga, Jenny McCarthy, Caitlyn Jenner, Richard Madden and Brie Larson. It’s no surprise that Cardi B, Gaga and Porter were at the top of this list. While Gaga had a major year making the awards show rounds for A Star Is Born, Porter made headlines time and time again donning some of the most stunning, daring looks of the year. There was his pink and red tulle number at the Tony’s, the gold ensemble he wore as he was carried into the Met Gala and who could forget his dramatically beautiful tuxedo dress at the Oscars? Oscars 2019 Red Carpet Fashion: See the Stars’ Styles As for the rapper, she continued to dominate the carpet and this year, rocking more head-turning, high-fashion looks than ever before. From her vintage Mugler at the Grammy’s to her giant red Met Gala number, she went bold — and it paid off. Larson also had a few major moments at premieres for Captain Marvel — which was the second top-searched movie for the year — as well as award’s show knockouts like her Celine chainmail gown at the Oscars.
The federal public safety minister has promised to review the case of a six-year-old Markham, Ont., boy whose parents say has been flagged as a travel risk since he was a toddler. "We try to keep him protected from all this stuff, because we don't want him to feel singled out and stigmatized.
As these lists grow, so do the number of innocent people flagged as suspected terrorists. The Office of Foreign Assets Control maintains a specific list of "specially designated nationals," including suspected terrorists, with whom US firms are prohibited from doing business.
That fight even included an eight-year-old Adam, dressed in his best suit and sneakers, attending a closed-door meeting on Parliament Hill two years ago to push for the system to become a reality.
Canada's so-called no-fly list — officially called the Specified Persons List under the Secure Air Travel Act (SATA) — dates back to 2007. The government has not confirmed how many people are on it, but it's estimated to contain as many as 2,000 names of people considered a threat.
When Adam's name came up on the list again Saturday, his father took to Twitter in frustration.
Our 10 year old was flagged.
We hopesilliness ends soon .
It’s been 4 years since going public about thousands of kids on ???????? DHP No Fly List. We look forward to meeting Minister but this doesn’t inspire confidence. :)—
The federal government's new public safety minister Bill Blair tweeted in response: "Sorry to hear of the recent difficulties experienced by you and your son. My office has been in touch and I look forward to talking with you about the work to prevent this for you and other families."
Vancouver man arrested and charged in shooting of innocent bystander in Surrey
Surrey RCMP have arrested a Vancouver man in the shooting of an innocent bystander that occurred more than two years ago. 22-year-old Abd'l Malik Loubissi-Morris was arrested on Dec. 11 in Richmond. He's accused of shooting a 62-year-old woman who was visiting Surrey from Ontario on July 9, 2017. Police said at the time that people in two trucks exchanged gunfire in a residential area of the 7700 block of 147A Street at about 3:30 p.m. PT.The woman was a bystander and not the intended target, says Surrey RCMP Superintendent Elija Rain.
Along with Conservative and NDP support, No Fly List Kids, a new organization made up of hundreds of Canadians whose children and grandchildren are on the list , has also obtained the written support of over 77 Liberal caucus members, with many others also committed to write the Ministry of Public
No - Fly - List America. Post-Constitutional America, Where Innocence is a Poor Defense. Ibrahim was no threat to anyone, innocent of everything, and ended up on that list only due to a government mistake. A ticket agent saw her name flagged in the database and called the police.
Many of those families, banding together through the group No Fly List Kids, had hoped a solution would be coming sooner than later.
The path for a redress system seemed to have cleared after Bill C-59, the Liberal government's massive national security bill, passed in June.
"With the passage of Bill C-59, we can now proceed with the regulatory process to make the necessary changes to the Secure Air Travel Regulations," a spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said at the time. The spokesperson added that a system would be operational in 2020, though an exact timing wasn't given.
Redress system now expected late 2020
A statement from Blair's office Saturday said he appreciates "the frustration of law-abiding travelers who can be stigmatized and delayed as a result of false positives," and that he looks forward to meeting with Ahmed and other affected families.
The government said it has invested $81.4 million over five years and $14 million annually in subsequent years to build a centralized screening system, which will include a redress system. With the passage of Bill C-59, the government was able to "take control of the list from airlines" to create a system that would allow travellers to distinguish themselves from people actually flagged on the list.
Usman wants St-Pierre fight: 'I think I finish him'
UFC champ Kamaru Usman has his eyes set on the greatest welterweight of all time. Usman, who defended his welterweight title at UFC 245 on Saturday with a fifth-round TKO of Colby Covington, said he'd love the opportunity to fight Georges St-Pierre. "Of course I want Georges,” Usman told TMZ Sports. “I want GSP. One more win and I tie him for the most consecutive wins (at welterweight). And how sweet would it be to actually get that win off of him?"Usman believes a tilt with the Canadian would an "extremely exciting fight" because, as he sees it, he and St-Pierre are "the two hybrids of the welterweight division.
The no - fly list has always been shaped by politics. Now, a bipartisan group of senators wants to use it for gun control. A government graphic illustrating how the terrorist screening database is used for several different watch lists , including the no - fly list .
What happens on the no - fly list does not stay on the no - fly list . A federal judge, writing in June, noted that the FBI's Terrorist Screening Center shares Similarly, in Oregon, a man named Yonas Fikre is suing the government for allegedly attempting to parlay his no - fly list placement into getting him to
"The Government of Canada is working with its partners to implement an enhanced program as quickly as possible, which requires the development of IT systems and its adoption by air carriers. It is expected to begin operating in late 2020. We are grateful for the patience and understanding of those affected in the meantime," the statement said.
It's just absolutely ridiculous that you know children continue to be flagged in this way. - Khadija Cajee
Adam's mother says she's looking forward to working with the new minister, but that change can't come soon enough.
"It's just absolutely ridiculous that you know children continue to be flagged in this way," she said.
"It's been four years that we've been advocating on it, but it's been 10 years since my son has been on this list and 12 years since it was implemented. So I think that's long enough," said Cajee.
Besides, with Adam getting older now, she worries about him feeling criminalized.
"He already feels that he already feels singled out a little bit... He knows three other people with the name Adam Ahmed so he knows it's a name-match situation, but it's no less stigmatizing," she said.
He's also come to learn of other boys facing increased security checks as they get older because of the families he's met through his ordeal.
"Some of them now, even though they're adults are afraid of traveling by themselves. So I know these things are in the back of his mind sometimes."
Thank you for the quick reply Minister Blair. Thefamilies look forward to meeting you & getting this done. (Now it’s time for me to focus on the game with my little one.) ???? —
Former champ Whittaker to fight Cannonier at UFC 248 .
Robert Whittaker will return to action early in 2020, as the former middleweight champion will take on top contender Jared Cannonier at UFC 248 on March 7, the promotion announced Friday. Whittaker (20-5) returns to the Octagon for the first time since losing his title to current champion Israel Adesanya in October. The "Reaper" held the belt for over two years leading up to UFC 243, winning nine consecutive fights. He's been determined to getWhittaker (20-5) returns to the Octagon for the first time since losing his title to current champion Israel Adesanya in October. The "Reaper" held the belt for over two years leading up to UFC 243, winning nine consecutive fights.