•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Toronto resident travelling to China for Lunar New Year unfazed as coronavirus spreads

06:15  23 january  2020
06:15  23 january  2020 Source:   cbc.ca

Travellers at Pearson to be asked about coronavirus amid pneumonia outbreak in China

  Travellers at Pearson to be asked about coronavirus amid pneumonia outbreak in China Travellers to Toronto's Pearson International Airport will soon be asked a question about a new coronavirus that has caused a pneumonia outbreak in China. Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's chief public health officer, told reporters on Monday that travellers will be asked a screening question at electronic immigration kiosks if they have traveled to areas affected by the coronavirus in the last 14 days and they will be reminded to report flu-like symptoms to border services agents.There will also be messaging on arrival screens about the coronavirus, Tam said.

A Toronto woman — one of millions of people heading to China for the Lunar New year — seems unfazed by the coronavirus outbreak, which has left 17 Nancy Li is travelling to the Chinese city of Guangzhou Wednesday night as the SARS-like coronavirus spreads and health officials in several

This comes as China confirms that a new strain of coronavirus can pass from person to person. The sharp rise comes as millions of Chinese prepare to travel for the Lunar New Year holidays. Although the outbreak is believed to have originated from a market, officials and scientists are yet to

a group of people waiting for their luggage at an airport: Millions of people are heading to China for the Lunar New year as that country grapples with the coronavirus outbreak.© Larry Guerriero/CBC Millions of people are heading to China for the Lunar New year as that country grapples with the coronavirus outbreak.

A Toronto woman — one of millions of people heading to China for the Lunar New year — says she is unfazed by the coronavirus outbreak, which has killed 17 people amid more than 570 confirmed cases.

Nancy Li is travelling to the Chinese city of Guangzhou Wednesday night as the SARS-like coronavirus spreads and health officials in several places expand their enhanced checks.

"This is the first time I go back in five years, that's why it's particularly important for me to go," Li told CBC News.

Toronto is prepared to handle a coronavirus outbreak, health officials say

  Toronto is prepared to handle a coronavirus outbreak, health officials say Toronto is prepared to handle a coronavirus outbreak, health officials say"Through SARS and through all the work later, we have set in place standard policies and procedures," said Dr. David Williams during an update on Toronto's preparedness Friday morning.

WUHAN, China — The mysterious coronavirus that has killed at least four people and sickened more than 200 in China is capable of spreading from Millions of Chinese are traveling this week for the Lunar New Year holiday, adding to fears that the virus could spread swiftly and on a broader scale.

Chinese authorities have urged people to stop travelling in and out of Wuhan, the city at the centre of a The new virus has spread from Wuhan to several Chinese provinces, as well as the US, Thailand and The Sars virus that killed nearly 800 people globally in the early 2000s was also a coronavirus .

"I am stocking up the face masks and … hand sanitizer and gloves."

The coronavirus strain, previously unknown to scientists, was thought to have emerged from an animal market in the central city of Wuhan, with cases now detected as far away as the United States.

The World Health Organization says it will decide on Thursday whether to declare a global emergency.

Wuhan is closing its transport networks and advising citizens not to leave the city, Chinese state media reported.

"For Lunar New Year, the human flow is out of Guangzhou into the inland. People are leaving Guangzhou to Wuhan, not the other way around," Li said.

"If I was going to Wuhan I might really, like, reconsider this trip. There will be less people in Guangzhou this time of the year."

Lunar New Year events cancelled in B.C. over concerns of Wuhan coronavirus spread

  Lunar New Year events cancelled in B.C. over concerns of Wuhan coronavirus spread Events at Semiahmoo Mall in South Surrey and the Christian Life Assembly church in Langley were cancelled over concerns of the coronavirus.Posters advertising an event at Semiahmoo Mall in South Surrey, set to feature performances from dance and martial arts groups, were affixed with a sticker saying it was cancelled "as a precaution.

Hundreds of millions of Chinese people head to their hometowns for Lunar New Year but many travellers seemed unfazed by the mystery virus AFP. The world's biggest annual travel rush comes as a SARS-like coronavirus has spread from the central city of Wuhan to Beijing, southern

Hundreds of millions of Chinese travelers are expected to travel both domestically and internationally as Lunar New Year starts this Saturday, igniting On Monday, South Korea confirmed its first case of the new coronavirus in a Chinese woman who flew to Incheon International Airport from Wuhan.

No confirmed case of coronavirus in Canada

Li said she will be in China for 10 days and is more concerned about going through airports, given the number of people passing through them, some of whom might have been to areas affected by the outbreak.

"I will go home and just basically spend time with my grandma, that's OK," Li said.

"I'm worried about the airport and stuff."

There is no confirmed case of the coronavirus in Canada but Li is also concerned that there might be intense screening in place by the time she returns to Toronto.

For those heading back to Canada after the celebrations, Dr. Eileen de Villa, medical officer of health for the City of Toronto, said her first advice to those who are unwell is to avoid contact with other people.

"Keep your illness to yourself," de Villa said on CBC Radio's Metro Morning.

"If, however, you are feeling unwell enough that you feel you need medical attention, then do seek that medical attention," she added.

Stocks, oil prices skid as China virus fears drive investors to safe havens

  Stocks, oil prices skid as China virus fears drive investors to safe havens Stocks, oil prices skid as China virus fears drive investors to safe havensTOKYO (Reuters) - Shares tumbled on Monday as investors grew increasingly anxious about the economic impact of China's spreading virus outbreak, with demand spiking for safe-haven assets such as the Japanese yen and Treasury notes.

The world’s biggest annual travel rush comes as a SARS-like coronavirus has spread from the central city of Wuhan to Beijing, southern Guangdong People wait to board trains at Hongqiao Railway Station in Shanghai on January 20, 2020, ahead of the Lunar New Year . Photo: Hectar Retamal/AFP.

China ’s health ministry has confirmed human-to-human transmission of a mysterious Sars-like virus that has spread across the country and fuelled anxiety about the prospect of a major outbreak as millions begin travelling for lunar new year celebrations. Zhong Nanshan, a respiratory expert and

"But make sure that you tell your health-care provider, one, of your symptoms; and, two, of any travel history, so that that can be taken into consideration both in terms of diagnosing what you might have and in terms of infection control and prevention measures."

Authorities on high alert

She said the authorities are also on high alert and are making preparations in the event the coronavirus comes to Canada.

"I think we always thought that there might be some possibility. We have a disease entity that we know had shown some degree of human-to-human transmission. How quickly, how readily it goes from human-to-human is still being established," de Villa said.

"In a pretty mobile population, particularly here in Canada in cities like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, we see quite a bit of international travel, so I'm not particularly surprised to see some degree of movement of this virus and its emergence in the United States."

At the same time, de Villa said Toronto has had its share of experience dealing with disease outbreaks.

"I think what's really important in our case in Toronto, given that we've had so much experience — we've had the experience of SARS, … pandemic influenza in 2009, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in 2012 — we've had lots of experience dealing with this kind of situation, so we feel that we've learned the lessons from those and are prepared to put those lessons into action."

U of R cancelling all funded travel to China in wake of coronavirus scare

  U of R cancelling all funded travel to China in wake of coronavirus scare The University of Regina has taken the precaution of cancelling all centrally-organized and funded travel to China for the next three months. The decision comes following a global outbreak of the coronavirus, which originated in Wuhan, China. The decision comes following a global outbreak of the coronavirus, which originated in Wuhan, China.

Ready to respond, province says

Meanwhile, on Wednesday afternoon, Health Minister Christine Elliott said while the risks posed by the new coronavirus to Ontarians remain low, the province is actively monitoring and is ready to respond.

Joe Cressy et al. posing for the camera: Dr. Eileen de Villa, medical officer of health for the City of Toronto, says health authorities are on high alert and are making preparations in the event the coronavirus comes to Canada.© CBC Dr. Eileen de Villa, medical officer of health for the City of Toronto, says health authorities are on high alert and are making preparations in the event the coronavirus comes to Canada.

Speaking at a news conference, Elliott said she briefed Premier Doug Ford and her cabinet colleagues earlier in the day on the province's efforts to monitor the disease and the state of readiness to respond.

"At that meeting our government approved new actions to strengthen the ministry's ability to monitor any coronavirus cases by adding novel coronavirus as a designated disease reportable under the province's public health legislation," Elliott said.

"Now physicians, hospitals and other health-care facilities will be required to report a suspected or confirmed case of the new coronavirus to their local medical officer of health.

"The local public health unit can then quickly and effectively take all necessary measures to investigate, complete lab tests and do case and contact management to prevent and control further spread of the infection," Elliott added.

3rd case of coronavirus confirmed in Ontario .
Sources told Global News the patient is from London, Ont., and had recently travelled to China. It’s unclear if the individual is currently receiving treatment in London or Toronto.On Friday, a man in his 50s, who was the first confirmed case in Canada, was released by Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto. READ MORE: Ontario health officials monitoring 27 people for possible coronavirus, no new cases confirmed He and his wife, who was diagnosed shortly after her husband, are said to be recovering at home in isolation.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 3
This is interesting!