Canada Toronto is prepared to handle a coronavirus outbreak, health officials say
Doctor on front lines of SARS outbreak says Canadian hospitals prepared for coronavirus
"Our experience with SARS was that it's not great to make stuff up as you go along," Dr. Michael Gardam explained.The coronavirus, which emerged sometime in December 2019, has drawn comparison to the 2003 outbreak of SARS.
Ontario's chief medical officer of health says the city and the province are better prepared to deal with the new coronavirus that has infected hundreds of people in Asia because of experience with the SARS outbreak.
"Through SARS and through all the work later, we have set in place standard policies and procedures," said Dr. David Williams during an update on Toronto's preparedness Friday morning.
"We're light years ahead of where we were in 2003."
The SARS outbreak in 2003 killed 44 people in the GTA and infected hundreds more.
Williams said while there are no confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Canada, he believes it's just "a matter of where and when."
Canada prepares for the new coronavirus as the death toll in China keeps rising
TORONTO — As the new coronavirus claims more lives in China, health authorities in this country are trying to reassure Canadians that plans and procedures are in place to protect them. While no cases have yet been confirmed in Canada, Dr. Peter Donnelly, with Public Health Ontario, said Friday that it is indeed "likely" the coronavirus, which comes from the same family of viruses as SARS, will arrive here. While no cases have yet been confirmed in Canada, Dr. Peter Donnelly, with Public Health Ontario, said Friday that it is indeed "likely" the coronavirus, which comes from the same family of viruses as SARS, will arrive here.
CEO of Public Health Ontario, Dr. Peter Donnelly, said the province has testing that lets medical professionals know within 24 hours whether an illness is this new coronavirus type.
Donnelly says an unspecified number of patients have already been tested. All of them turned out to have the flu, previously-known versions of coronavirus or other illnesses.
He adds if there is a confirmed case, Toronto will not go into lockdown like the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus originated.
"The city will still be functioning, the province will still be functioning normally ... it's why Public Health Ontario exists."
Risk remains low
Toronto's chief public health officer, Dr. Eileen de Villa, also reassured the public that overall risk remains low in Canada.
Coronavirus outbreak on province's radar, says N.L. health minister
John Haggie says there's little risk to residents of the province.John Haggie said his department is monitoring the outbreak and he would be speaking with provincial and federal health ministers in a conference call Friday, but stressed there is no need for panic or fear.
But with increased travel expected during Lunar New Year festivities this weekend, she says the city is keeping a close eye on the situation.
"We do know that Toronto's Pearson Airport is an international travel hub. I think it's important that you know we are actively monitoring the situation with our federal and provincial health partners," she said.
De Villa promised quick updates if the virus reaches the city.
Twenty-six people have died from the virus so far, with the number of cases now at more than 800.
China announced it is building a 1,000-bed hospital in Wuhan dedicated to patients who are infected.
Authorities are aiming to have the facility finished by Wednesday.
3rd case of coronavirus confirmed in Ontario .
Sources told Global News the patient is from London, Ont., and had recently travelled to China. It’s unclear if the individual is currently receiving treatment in London or Toronto.On Friday, a man in his 50s, who was the first confirmed case in Canada, was released by Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto. READ MORE: Ontario health officials monitoring 27 people for possible coronavirus, no new cases confirmed He and his wife, who was diagnosed shortly after her husband, are said to be recovering at home in isolation.
Canada prepares as Chinese virus spreads
The number of cases of the coronavirus have gone up in China. Mark McAllister with what health officials and airports are doing to keep the virus out of Canada.
Coronavirus outbreak: Manitoba Health says they're prepared to handle potential cases | FULL
Manitoba's chief provincial public health officer says a plan is in place and Manitoba Health is ready should a potentially deadly infection make its way to the ...