•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Yatim family feels 'a whole new kind of pain' after former cop who shot teen is granted full parole

09:15  25 january  2020
09:15  25 january  2020 Source:   cbc.ca

Toronto officer who shot Sammy Yatim in 2013 on empty streetcar granted parole

  Toronto officer who shot Sammy Yatim in 2013 on empty streetcar granted parole Const. James Forcillo was granted full parole on Jan. 17 and must have no contact -- direct or indirect -- with the victim's family.Const. James Forcillo was granted full parole on Jan. 17 and must have no contact -- direct or indirect -- with Yatim's family.

"This decision in our absence created a whole new kind of pain and ethically is not acceptable. Yatim was shot by Forcillo aboard an empty streetcar, and then Tasered by another officer. Forcillo was previously granted day parole after 21 months in prison — a move that surprised and shocked

The family of a teen who died after being shot by a former Toronto police officer is shocked that the man has been granted day parole after serving less than a third of his sentence, their lawyer said. Edwin Upenieks, who represents the relatives of Sammy Yatim

a man and a woman sitting at a table: Sahar Bahadi and Sara Ann Yatim, at a press conference on Friday, responded to the decision to grant full parole to a police officer who fatally shot the Sammy Yatim in 2013.© CBC Sahar Bahadi and Sara Ann Yatim, at a press conference on Friday, responded to the decision to grant full parole to a police officer who fatally shot the Sammy Yatim in 2013.

The mother and sister of Sammy Yatim — the teen fatally shot by a police officer on a Toronto streetcar in 2013 — reiterated their call for justice as the officer was granted full parole.

Speaking at a press conference Friday, Yatim's mother Sahar Bahadi said the family had not been informed about James Forcillo's hearing before the Parole Board of Canada this week.

"Granting Forcillo parole without notifying us of this parole claim broke us completely," Bahadi said.

Teen charged with murder after 15-year-old boy shot dead in east Toronto

  Teen charged with murder after 15-year-old boy shot dead in east Toronto TORONTO — Police say a 15-year-old boy has been charged with second-degree murder in a shooting that killed another teen. Investigators say they were called to the city's east end Monday afternoon and found a 15-year-old boy had been shot. They say the teen, identified as Safiullah Khosrawi, died in hospital shortly afterwards. The suspect was arrested Monday and appeared in court Tuesday morning. He cannot be identified because he is underage but investigators say he was known to police.Police say both teens went to the same school but it does not appear they knew each other, and Khosrawi was not known to police.In a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Det.

The family of a teen who died after being shot by a former Toronto police officer is shocked that the man has been granted day parole after serving A written decision from the board shows Forcillo was given day parole after expressing remorse and contrition for Yatim 's death, which occurred in

BREAKING. Former Toronto cop who fatally shot Sammy Yatim granted full parole . On Tuesday, the board echoed the same sentiment and granted the now-37-year-old full parole . The decision stated that Forcillo has been reintegrating appropriately into society since he was granted day parole .

"This decision in our absence created a whole new kind of pain and ethically is not acceptable. I gave the judicial system, the police and the lawyers the benefit of doubt and they let me down over and over again."

Yatim was shot by Forcillo aboard an empty streetcar, and then Tasered by another officer.

Forcillo, now 37, was convicted of attempted murder in 2016, and began serving prison time in November 2017 after his appeal was rejected.

His sentence was supposed to last six years, five months and 29 days, according to the Parole Board of Canada document outlining his parole. Forcillo was previously granted day parole after 21 months in prison — a move that surprised and shocked Yatim's family.

A judge handed Forcillo that sentence following an unusual verdict by a Toronto jury, which found Forcillo guilty of attempted murder, but not second-degree murder, despite the fact that Yatim died aboard the streetcar.

Search continues for teen snowboarder missing at Sun Peaks Resort

  Search continues for teen snowboarder missing at Sun Peaks Resort Crews are continuing their search for a Kamloops teen who never returned home after snowboarding at Sun Peaks Resort over the weekend. Carson Hadwin has been identified by family as the teen who went missing Sunday afternoon at the ski resort. Carson Hadwin has been identified by family as the teen who went missing Sunday afternoon at the ski resort.

The former Toronto cop who shot and killed a teenager aboard an empty streetcar seven years ago is free after being granted full parole . Tina Yazdani has more on the restriction that comes with the decision.

The former Toronto cop who shot and killed a teenager aboard an empty streetcar seven years ago is free after being granted full parole . Tina Yazdani has more on the restriction that comes with the decision.

During Friday's press conference, Bahadi again questioned the rationale for sentencing Forcillo for only six years and granting him parole less than two years later.

"What I don't understand is how can you charge him with attempted murder when my son is dead," she said.

"I'm calling again, we need justice for Sammy and everyone who is or was a victim of police brutality. I lost faith and trust … I feel injustice and fear … but I will not stop fighting and advocating for my Sammy."

Bahadi said losing her son was the hardest thing she's had to deal with and her daughter Sara Ann Yatim has not been the same since his death.

"I don't have a life. How can I have a life," Sara Ann Yatim said. "My brother is dead. I lost everything in my life."

She said she is exhausted, but says the family will keep fighting until her brother gets the justice he deserves.

"My brother won't be resting in peace until [Forcillo] is back behind bars."

‘Am I going to die:’ 7-year-old boy asks neighbour after being shot in Hamilton home .
‘Am I going to die:’ 7-year-old boy asks neighbour after being shot in Hamilton home"'Am I going to die?' He asked me that like three, four times," Danny, who didn't want give his last name, told reporters. Danny claims he is a neighbour who helped the child.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!