•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Toronto councillor cleared of campaign spending violations

08:15  11 february  2020
08:15  11 february  2020 Source:   cbc.ca

'Everybody makes mistakes': Councillors weigh in on Magliocca travel expenses

  'Everybody makes mistakes': Councillors weigh in on Magliocca travel expenses Coun. Joe Magliocca’s hosting expenses from a 2019 conference that name some elected officials who say they never had food or drinks with Calgary’s Ward 2 councillor were a “mistake” that he is now moving forward from, say two of Magliocca’s council colleagues. “It’s good for him to pay the money back and I believe that everybody makes mistakes,” said Coun. Sean Chu. “I always say, if you’ve done something wrong, you say ‘sorry,’ you move on and you learn from it.

Campaign spending violation charges against Toronto Coun. Mark Grimes, pictured here at city hall, were withdrawn on Monday. (John Rieti/CBC). A Toronto councillor has been cleared of campaign finance violations in court on Monday. Etobicoke-Lakeshore Coun. Mark Grimes had been accused

The fact that Toronto city councillors expressed shock Nov. 6 when one of their own, Jim Karygiannis, was removed from his Ward 22 seat for campaign spending violations , is not a testament to how straight-arrow the politicians have been. It reflects how skillfully the candidates and their accountants

a close up of a person: Campaign spending violation charges against Toronto Coun. Mark Grimes, pictured here at city hall, were withdrawn on Monday.© Provided by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Campaign spending violation charges against Toronto Coun. Mark Grimes, pictured here at city hall, were withdrawn on Monday.

A Toronto councillor has been cleared of campaign finance violations in court on Monday.

Etobicoke-Lakeshore Coun. Mark Grimes had been accused of not disclosing tens of thousands of dollars worth of spending on research and polling ahead of the 2014 municipal election.

On Monday, those charges were withdrawn, with the Crown saying it could not prove the allegations made by the Ontario Provincial Police's anti-rackets unit.

Report: Chargers, Lynn agree to contract extension

  Report: Chargers, Lynn agree to contract extension The Los Angeles Chargers and head coach Anthony Lynn agreed to a contract extension this past week, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Lynn, who was entering the last year of his current deal in 2020, now has "multiple years" remaining on his contract. He signed the extension shortly before the Super Bowl, a source told Schefter. The 51-year-old bench boss joined the Chargers in 2017 after spending one campaign with the Buffalo Bills, for whom he worked as an assistant head coach, running backs coach, and offensive coordinator. Lynn was also the Bills' interim head coach for one game in 2016.Lynn has a 26-22 record after three full seasons in Los Angeles.

He won his campaign for councillor in 2014 and again in 2018. He was not inside the power circle around the mayor but sat on the board of the Toronto Transit Commission Under the Municipal Elections Act, each candidate was permitted to spend a maximum of ,207.95 on their campaign .

TORONTO — A Toronto city councillor has been removed from office for allegedly overspending on his re-election campaign last year. Spokesman Brad Ross says the city clerk notified Jim Karygiannis that he is no longer a city councillor .

Crown Michael Wilson said there's evidence Grimes benefited from the research and didn't disclose it, but that there's nothing to show Grimes personally requested the data or deliberately failed to report it.

"For that reason, it is not in the public interest to proceed with this prosecution," Wilson said.

Justin Di Ciano, who is no longer a city councillor, is facing the same charges. It's unclear when the court will deal with his case.

Grimes has maintained he did nothing wrong. A member of his legal team who represented the councillor at court said Grimes is glad the matter has been resolved.

Grimes was re-elected in 2018.

Toronto police called to Doug Ford's home because of suspicious package .
Toronto police were called to the home of Ontario Premier Doug Ford on Tuesday because of a suspicious package, the premier's office says."At this time, I can confirm the Toronto Police Services were called to the Premier's home today to investigate a suspicious package," Ivana Yelich, spokesperson for Doug, said in an email to CBC Toronto.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!