•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Standards for coronavirus protection to be reviewed, health agency says

02:25  18 february  2020
02:25  18 february  2020 Source:   msn.com

2 presumptive cases of coronavirus confirmed in B.C., bringing total to 4

  2 presumptive cases of coronavirus confirmed in B.C., bringing total to 4 Two presumptive cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in B.C., according to B.C. Centre for Disease Control, bringing the total in the province to four.Dr. Bonnie Henry, the provincial health officer, said Thursday that the two patients are a man and woman in their 30s visiting from China's Hubei province.

The standards , which the Public Health Agency of Canada updated last week, lay out the precautions health -care workers should take when assessing and treating a patient with a possible case of the coronavirus , including what protective equipment should be used. The public health agency has

OTTAWA — The Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions is warning that the federal public health agency 's guidelines to protect front-line health -care workers from outbreaks of diseases like the novel coronavirus don't go far enough, and might be putting them and patients at risk.The standards , which.

a airplane that is parked on the side of a road© Provided by The Canadian Press

OTTAWA — The Public Health Agency of Canada says it will review its protocols for health-care workers after nurses' unions denounced the national guidelines set out for dealing with the novel coronavirus earlier this month

The agency says feedback from the nurses' unions and other associations will be considered by a national advisory committee on infection prevention and control as it looks to update the guidance.

The protocols set out how health workers should protect themselves and their patients if they encounter a potential case of the new coronavirus, or COVID-19, including the kind of protective equipment they should use.

Four B.C. cases of coronavirus at home and recovering

  Four B.C. cases of coronavirus at home and recovering All four B.C. cases of coronavirus are recovering, according to the latest update from health officials. During a scheduled briefing on Tuesday, health authorities said there were no new cases of COVID-19, as the virus has now been named, in the province since three were confirmed last week, in addition to the one case already confirmed. During a scheduled briefing on Tuesday, health authorities said there were no new cases of COVID-19, as the virus has now been named, in the province since three were confirmed last week, in addition to the one case already confirmed.

The standards , which the Public Health Agency of Canada updated last week, lay out the precautions health -care workers should take when assessing and treating a patient with a possible case of the coronavirus , including what protective equipment should be used.

The FDA is an active partner in the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) response, working closely with our government and public health partners Any travel to China which is deemed to be mission-critical is being assessed on a case-by-case basis in close coordination with HHS and the State Department.

The Canadian Federation of Nurses' Unions wrote to Health Minister Patty Hajdu last week to tell her the guidelines are unacceptable since they assume the virus cannot spread easily through the air, only through larger droplets from coughing or sneezing.

In a statement Monday, the federal public-health agency says the guidelines were approved by a special advisory committee of federal and provincial representatives.

"Protecting health care workers and patients from exposure to the novel coronavirus is our priority," an agency spokesperson wrote Monday. "We will continue to engage with stakeholders and apply evidence and expert advice in updating guidance."

Though Canada's current federal guidelines are in line with World Health Organization recommendations, both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States and its European counterpart call for added precautions to protect against the possibility the disease is airborne.

Woman from London, Ont., no longer infected with new coronavirus

  Woman from London, Ont., no longer infected with new coronavirus Ontario's chief medical officer of health says the London woman who was the province's third case of COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus, is no longer infected. On Jan. 31, health officials reported that a woman in her 20s had returned from Wuhan, China, the epicentre of the viral outbreak. The woman was at first asymptomatic when she arrived on Jan. 23, officials said, however she began to exhibit symptoms of the illness the next day and went to the hospital.

The agencies say they are awaiting direction from the World Health Organization, on whether the outbreak should be declared a global emergency as the virus appears in Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's chief public health officer, says the risk for Canadians contracting the novel coronavirus remains low.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says there is a "window of opportunity" to stop the deadly new coronavirus Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the steps China took to fight the virus at its epicentre He urged them to be "short in duration, proportionate" and reviewed regularly.

Provinces can also set their own standards and protocols to protect workers from possible exposure to the virus. Ontario has already called for its workers to wear respirators when dealing with potential cases of COVID-19, rather than surgical masks as the federal agency suggests.

So far, only eight cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Canada, but public health authorities agree they must be prepared for that to change.

The health agency says it's trying to chase down some people who left a cruise ship in Cambodia, the MS Westerdam, before one of their fellow passengers tested positive for the illness.

"Canadian passengers from the MS Westerdam were identified so that they would be screened upon arrival at a port of entry into Canada," it said in a written statement Monday.

They'll be given information about COVID-19 and asked to isolate themselves for two weeks, the agency said, and to fill out a form so their local public-health authorities can contact them.

50 people in Edmonton in self-imposed quarantine to prevent spreading COVID-19 coronavirus

  50 people in Edmonton in self-imposed quarantine to prevent spreading COVID-19 coronavirus There are now at least 50 people who have chose to put themselves under self-imposed quarantine in Edmonton after returning from China.READ MORE: New coronavirus disease named 'COVID-19' by World Health Organization

The UN's health arm said the move was to protect countries with "weaker health systems." The World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday declared the coronavirus a public health The health agency described the emergency as an "extraordinary event" as other countries are at risk.

Six health workers are among those who have died during the coronavirus outbreak, officials say . Chinese officials have given figures for health workers infected with the new coronavirus , amid concerns about shortages of protective equipment.

But those screens went up too late for some of the hundreds of Canadians who were aboard the Holland America ship.

"Some travellers returned before these measures were put in place. The Public Health Agency of Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency are working together to identify those individuals who will be contacted by PHAC officials," the agency's statement said.

Canada is also preparing for another wave of evacuees with possible exposure to the virus, though health authorities say their risk of infection is low.

Hundreds of Canadians who have spent almost two weeks in isolation on a second cruise ship, the Diamond Princess docked in Yokohama, Japan, will be flown home to Canada to spend another two weeks of quarantine in Cornwall, Ont.

The Diamond Princess has had more than 450 cases confirmed on board so far.

During their repatriation the Diamond Princess passengers will follow the same rules as the Canadians and their families who recently returned from Wuhan, China, the centre of the outbreak.

Some in Cornwall, including the town's mayor Bernadette Clement, have expressed reservations about hosting a large population of people who may have been exposed to the virus. They will be housed in an isolated section of the Nav Centre, a training centre with attached hotel and conference facility.

Health officials have assured people in the area the risk of those repatriated Canadians having the illness when they arrive in Canada is low, and they are taking precautions.

"We are satisfied that the infection control precautions and quarantine procedures will meet the needs of the quarantined individuals while also keeping the public safe," the Eastern Ontario Health Unit's medical officer of health, Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, said in a statement Monday.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 17, 2020.

Laura Osman, The Canadian Press

B.C. reveals 6th presumptive coronavirus case .
A sixth person in B.C. is believed to be infected with the coronavirus, and the case is raising new questions about how the disease is spreading, health officials announced Thursday. The latest patient is a woman in her 30s who lives in the Fraser Health region, according to provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. She had recently returned from a trip to Iran and is now recovering at home. Henry said officials were surprised when they learned the woman had only visited Iran, and not China or neighbouring countries that have seen the bulk of COVID-19 cases.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!