•   
  •   
  •   

Canada No lost jobs for the self-isolated: Ontario government moves to protect workers affected by COVID-19

18:15  16 march  2020
18:15  16 march  2020 Source:   nationalpost.com

Coronavirus: All publicly funded schools in Ontario closing for 2 weeks due to COVID-19

  Coronavirus: All publicly funded schools in Ontario closing for 2 weeks due to COVID-19 "The minister of education has issued a ministerial order to close all publicly funded schools in Ontario for two weeks following March break in response to the emergence in Ontario of COVID-19.""Since we first learned of COVID-19 as an emerging public health issue, Ontario has been diligently monitoring the developing situation to protect the health and well-being of all Ontarians," a joint statement from Premier Doug Ford, Health Minister Christine Elliot and Education Minister Stephen Lecce said Thursday afternoon.

A spokeswoman for Ford said the bill would include a number of measures aimed at helping workers affected by the COVID - 19 outbreak. Under the legislation, employers would have to ensure protected leave for workers who have to take unpaid leave to be in self -isolation or quarantine.

"Our government is protecting workers so they can focus on their own health, and the health of their families and communities, without fear of losing their jobs ," Ford said in the statement. Details of the government 's plan to help Ontario residents amid the COVID - 19 outbreak will announced in the

Christine Elliott, Doug Ford are posing for a picture: Ontario Premier Doug Ford along with Minister Christine Elliott, Ontario's Minister of Health,  Rod Phillips, Ontario's Minister of Finance and Peter Bethlenfalvy, President of the Treasury Board, videotape a message to Ontario residents from his office regarding the province's efforts to manage the coronavirus pandemic. Friday March 13, 2020. © Stan Behal Ontario Premier Doug Ford along with Minister Christine Elliott, Ontario's Minister of Health, Rod Phillips, Ontario's Minister of Finance and Peter Bethlenfalvy, President of the Treasury Board, videotape a message to Ontario residents from his office regarding the province's efforts to manage the coronavirus pandemic. Friday March 13, 2020.

The Ontario government announced planned legislation Monday that would protect workers affected by COVID-19. The proposed legislation would ensure workers who are in self-isolation or who have to care for family members because of the infection will not lose their jobs, Labour Minister Monte McNaughton announced at a news conference at Queen’s Park.

Ontario Finance Minister Rod Phillips announced at the same conference that he will present a fiscal update on March 25 in lieu of a full budget.

Premier Doug Ford, meanwhile, announced that the province is not ordering bars, restaurants and other non-essential businesses closed for now. He said the province is taking the advice from Ontario’s chief medical officer of health. And if and when that advice changes, the province will act.

Liberals rejig benefits for workers affected by COVID-19 .
OTTAWA — The federal government is repackaging two previously promised benefits for Canadians whose working lives are disrupted by COVID-19. Instead, the Liberals say there will now be one benefit to provide $2,000 per month for four months to workers whose income drops to zero because of the pandemic, including if they have been furloughed by their employers but technically still have jobs. Speaking in the Senate, Finance Minister Bill Morneau told senators that the move should help get money to affected workers faster than under the previously announced model.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!