Canada Coronavirus: Mayor Tory announces further closures of non-essential city services
Ontario minister pledges $3M to support Eglinton businesses amid LRT construction
Ontario Transportation Ministry Caroline Mulroney is pledging to provide $3 million in funding to support businesses suffering due to ongoing construction of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. In a letter to Toronto Mayor John Tory posted on Twitter late Monday, Mulroney said she is disappointed the Eglinton Crosstown is delayed and she acknowledges that the delay is having "real and severe impacts" on businesses along the route and the families that operate those businesses. Mulroney said Metrolinx, the provincial transit agency, has provided more than $6.
Toronto Mayor John Tory announced the further closures of of non-essential city services in the wake of thepandemic.
Tory made the announcement Tuesday via media conference as the mayor continues his self-isolation after returning from a trip to England. He said he is displaying no symptoms.
Critical and essential services will continue, which includes emergency services, Toronto water, workers in the shelter system and long-term care workers. Tory said garbage and recycling will still be collected.
Road operations, Toronto hydro and TTC operations will still continue to operate.
Coronavirus: London, Ont., mayor to self-isolate upon return from U.S.
London Mayor Ed Holder's office said he has cut short a family trip and is set to self-isolate for 14 days starting Monday.A statement from Ed Holder's office said the mayor has cut a stateside family reunion short and has secured "the first available flight back to London.
These measures are being done, Tory said, as the city efforts to scale back on non-essential services.
He said non-essential staff will also be sent home but that they will still be paid. He said no one will be laid off.
"We are doing this in the interest of setting an example," Tory said.
"The real impetus behind this was to follow the advice of the chief medical officer to limit opportunities for citizens, including those who work for the city, to interact with each other and to be sure we’re setting an example."
The mayor said that it's early in the fight against the virus but that once it's over, the city will plan a shop local, buy local celebration to help the local economy to rebound.
Calgary declares local state of emergency due to COVID-19, prompting libraries, rec centres to close
The City of Calgary announced a local state of emergency due to the coronavirus pandemic on Sunday night. READ MORE: COVID-19 cases rise to 56 in Alberta; Kenney announces class cancellations and $500M boost to health budget The city said all recreation centres and libraries would be closed immediately.It said facility capacity at other places should be restricted to less than 250 people or 50 per cent as approved by the Calgary Fire Department.The city recommended that businesses make as many employees as possible work from home.
Tory said the celebration will also include a second St. Patrick's Day event.
Earlier on Tuesday, Premier Ford declared a state of emergency for the province.
Ford said grocery stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, manufacturing facilities, public transit, important public services, construction sites and office buildings will all continue to operate.
"Right now, we need to do everything we can to slow the spread ofin order to avoid overwhelming our health-care system," Ford added.
Shortly after, the province announced its first COVID-19 related death, a 77-year-old man from Muskoka who was in contact with someone who was infected with the virus.
A coroner's office will be determining whether the man died from coronavirus or because of underlying health issues while being infected.
--With files from Gabby Rodrigues
Tory says it’s early, but the city is planning to do a shop local, buy local celebration to help the local economy rebound. It will include a second St. Patrick’s event. We will hoist green beers, he says.
— Matthew Bingley (@mattybing)
Tory says the decision to keep non-essential workers at home wasn’t the result of isolation or infections.
— Matthew Bingley (@mattybing)
Public health officials announce 3 new COVID-19 deaths in Toronto .
Toronto's medical officer of health reported three new COVID-19-related deaths in the city on Wednesday. Dr. Eileen de Villa told reporters that the deaths involve an elderly man who tested positive at North York General Hospital and two residents of Seven Oaks long term care home in Scarborough. Dr. Eileen de Villa told reporters that the deaths involve an elderly man who tested positive at North York General Hospital and two residents of Seven Oaks long term care home in Scarborough. The elderly man had pre-existing health conditions, de Villa said.