Canada Toronto to close all city-owned playgrounds, parks amid coronavirus outbreak
Coronavirus: Ontario government announces expansion of Telehealth resources
Before a person experiencing symptoms should go to an assessment centre, the government and Telehealth are asking those people to either call in or use the new online self-assessment tool. To date, Telehealth said there has been more than 8,000 COVID-19 related calls. As of Sunday, there were 145 coronavirus cases in the province, five of which have been resolved. An update in new numbers is expected by the province's health official at 10:30 a.m.
Toronto Mayor John Tory says all city-owned playgrounds will be closed effective immediately amid thepandemic.
Tory said all other park amenities will be closed as well, as part of the city's efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Chief Matthew Pegg said gates will be locked and non-gated areas will be taped off.
Included in the closures are picnic site, park shelters, sport courts, off-leash dog parks and trails, skate parks, frisbee-golf and outdoor fitness equipment, tennis courts and community gardens.
Tory recently declared a state of emergency for Toronto on Monday, marking the first time the city has been under one.
Toronto’s Porter Airlines temporarily suspends flights amid coronavirus pandemic
The airline said in a release it hopes to resume service June 1. "The speed of developments related to COVID-19 is shocking. It is having an unprecedented impact around the globe on businesses, economies and people," president and CEO Michael Deluce said in a release. READ MORE: First potential coronavirus-related death reported in Ontario "Porter supports the efforts of the Canadian, U.S. and global authorities in their responses.
The emergency declaration gives Tory the ability to make certain decisions that normally require full city council approval.
On Monday, the City of Mississauga announced the closure of playgrounds, sport courts, skateboard parks and leash-free zones.
As of Wednesday afternoon, Ontario had, nine deaths and eight resolved.
Today, the City of Toronto is announcing that all City-owned playgrounds and other parks amenities will be closed effective immediately, as part of our continuing efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19.
— John Tory (@JohnTory)
Coronavirus: 8 dead at east-end Toronto nursing home, 69 confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases .
Toronto Public Health officials said six of the eight residents at Seven Oaks Nursing Home who died were over 85 years old. The other two were between the ages of 60 and 85. Dr. Elizabeth Rea, Toronto's associate medical officer of health, said three of the residents died Tuesday night and early Wednesday. At least two of the deaths were previously announced. READ MORE: Ontario reports 426 new coronavirus cases, total at 2,392 and 37 deaths The update also said six residents and nine staff are currently dealing with COVID-19 and there are 54 resident cases that have been deemed "probable.