•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Top court to hear fight over Premier Doug Ford's deep cuts to Toronto council

17:22  26 march  2020
17:22  26 march  2020 Source:   msn.com

No lost jobs for the self-isolated: Ontario government moves to protect workers affected by COVID-19

  No lost jobs for the self-isolated: Ontario government moves to protect workers affected by COVID-19 The Ontario government announced planned legislation Monday that would protect workers affected by COVID-19. The proposed legislation would ensure workers who are in self-isolation or who have to care for family members because of the infection will not lose their jobs, Labour Minister Monte McNaughton announced at a news conference at Queen’s Park. Ontario Finance Minister Rod Phillips announced at the same conference that he will present a fiscal update on March 25 in lieu of a full budget.

The city announced Friday that it has filed an application with Canada’s highest court to seek leave to appeal the province’s decision to slash the size of council . This move marks the final legal option for the city, after the provincial Court of Appeal decided in September that Premier Doug Ford ' s

A court will hear arguments at the end of the month on whether Premier Doug Ford ’ s plan to cut the size of Toronto ’s city council should be in force A Superior Court judge ordered that Achampong’s case be heard on Aug. 31 on the merits — meaning the step of arguing for an interim injunction will

a truck that is driving down the street in front of a building © Provided by The Canadian Press

TORONTO — Canada's highest court agreed on Thursday to hear Toronto's challenge to a unilateral decision by Ontario Premier Doug Ford that slashed the size of city council midway through the last municipal election.

The legislation nearly two years ago cut the number of council seats to 25 from 47 and sparked widespread anger from critics who denounced it as undemocratic and a vindictive measure from Ford, a failed mayoral candidate and one-term councillor under his late brother, former mayor Rob Ford.

"Ontario's position in the Supreme Court of Canada will be that the decision of the Court of Appeal for Ontario should be upheld," Jenessa Crognali, a spokeswoman for Attorney General Doug Downey, said in a statement. "As this matter is before the court, it would be inappropriate to comment further."

Some people in their 30s with coronavirus being placed on ventilators: Ontario health minister

  Some people in their 30s with coronavirus being placed on ventilators: Ontario health minister It is not clear if the individuals Elliott was referring to have underlying health conditions, though medical experts have said that older people and those with underlying conditions are most susceptible to developing severe symptoms from COVID-19.Christine Elliott made the remarks during a press conference with Premier Doug Ford and Finance Minister Rod Phillips at Queen's Park Wednesday afternoon.

< The battle to prevent Ontario Premier Doug Ford from cutting the size of Toronto city council is probably lost. It was probably lost the moment that Mr. Ford announced the plan last month. The provincial government has wide powers over Ontario municipalities, which are junior partners in the

Ontario Premier Doug Ford ’ s plan to reduce the size of Toronto city council by nearly half prompted an outcry from WATCH: Doug Ford announces plan to cut size of Toronto city council . Tory had ‘animated’ conversation with Ford over cuts to city council . ‘Absolutely not right’: Tory slams Ford

There was no immediate reaction from the city to the Supreme Court's decision to hear Toronto's appeal. It's also unclear when the case might be argued. The top court has, in line with most other public services, sharply curtailed its activities in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.

At the time, the then-rookie premier defended his action as a necessary streamlining that would save $25 million,.

The city turned to the courts, initially winning a victory when a Superior Court justice found the law unconstitutional. Justice Edward Belobaba ruled the legislation infringed on the free-expression rights of candidates by affecting their ability to campaign. He also said it ran afoul of the rights of voters by stopping them from casting a ballot that could result in effective representation.

Coronavirus: Nurses association applauds Doug Ford for shut down of non-essential workplaces

  Coronavirus: Nurses association applauds Doug Ford for shut down of non-essential workplaces "Now is the time for everybody to stay home."“Premier, thank you for listening. Now is the time for everybody to stay home,” Doris Grinspun told Global News on Monday.

< The fate of Ontario Premier Doug Ford ’ s move to pare Toronto ’s city council to just 25 members in the middle of an election campaign is now before a Superior Court judge. At the close of a daylong hearing Friday, Justice Edward Belobaba said he would not have a ruling until Sept.

WATCH: Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he decided to overrule the courts and cut the number of seats at Toronto City council before the election next month because he The dust has yet to settle in Doug Ford ‘ s fight with Toronto city hall but he’s already setting his sights on what comes next.

The legislation, Belobaba said in his ruling, "undermined an otherwise fair and equitable election process" and the Ford government had "clearly crossed the line" into undemocratic territory.

With Ford threatening to invoke the charter's notwithstanding clause, the province won a stay of the ruling and the election proceeded under the new legislation while it appealed.

The act "is a meaningful, proportionate measure to address the dysfunction caused by having too many councillors — ungoverned by party discipline," the province said in its arguments to the Court of Appeal. "A smaller council can operate more effectively as a deliberative body, with a lower burden on city staff."

For its part, the city wanted Ontario's top court to let the 2018 election results stand until the next vote in 2022 but strike down the legislation — known as the Better Local Government Act — as unconstitutional. Among other arguments, it said the legislation violated unwritten constitutional principles of democracy.

Ontario preparing an anti-price gouging order, Ford says

  Ontario preparing an anti-price gouging order, Ford says TORONTO — Ontario Premier Doug Ford says his cabinet is preparing an order to fight price gouging during the COVID-19 pandemic. Details of the order were not immediately available, but Ford said anyone price gouging after the order goes through will be "done." He specifically mentioned Pusateri's, a specialty foods store, that had been charging $30 for Lysol disinfecting wipes. Ford says it's "absolutely disgusting" that the company would takeDetails of the order were not immediately available, but Ford said anyone price gouging after the order goes through will be "done.

Before Ontario Premier Doug Ford enacts his plan to cut Toronto ’s city council almost in half before its fall election, the city’s municipal government is instructing its lawyers to look into a legal challenge. More than a dozen councillors have lined up behind Mr. Ford ’ s move, first announced last week

A growing group of challengers is amassing to fight Premier Doug Ford ’ s cuts to Toronto council in a legal battle with a looming deadline — the scheduled Oct. 22 election day. Until the case is heard , and likely appeals are launched, it’s unclear if Bill 5, the Better Local Government Act, will be struck

"A province does not have the power (under the Constitution) to enact legislation that makes the election of a democratically elected municipal government undemocratic," the city argued.

In its 3-2 decision last year, the Ontario Court of Appeal overturned Belobaba's ruling, saying the sudden legislation did not interfere with either candidates' or voters' ability to express themselves freely.

The right to free expression, Justice Bradley Miller wrote for the majority five-judge panel, did not amount to a right to effective or successful expression.

"The frustration of candidates in facing altered electoral circumstances — unanticipated rivals, losing allies, and needing to reach new voters — did not prevent them from saying anything they wished to say about matters in issue in the election or in promoting their candidacies," Miller wrote.

Two judges dissented, however, saying they would have struck the law down. The legislation, they said, did indeed interfere with the free-expression rights of candidates.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 26, 2020.

Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press

Ontario set to release modelling data on how many could die of COVID-19 .
TORONTO — Public health officials in Ontario are set to release data today showing how many people could die of COVID-19 under various scenarios. Premier Doug Ford says the projections might be hard to hear and should serve as a wake-up call for some people. But he says the public has the right to the same information as he has when making health-related decisions. Medical experts will provide a briefing that includes the new projections. The province issued a new emergency order this morning to give public health units more flexibility through hiring retired nurses, medical students and volunteers.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!