Canada Coronavirus: Ontario to issue 2nd COVID-19 emergency alert on Saturday
Coronavirus: 967 active cases of COVID-19 in Ontario, province now at 18 deaths
The province now has 18 deaths and eight resolved cases. No breakdown information on age, gender, location, form of transmission or status was provided at all on the new cases. "Information for all cases today is pending," a notice on the Ontario website reads. READ MORE: Widow of Oshawa, Ont. man, 48, who died from coronavirus speaks out about deadly virus More than 41,000 patients have been tested for the virus so far and around 10,000 are currently under investigation awaiting test results. More to come.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the province will be issuing a second province-wide emergency alert Saturday afternoon advising residents to stay home amid thepandemic.
"The message will be clear: Stop the spread. COVID-19 can be deadly. The time to act is now. Everyone but essential workers need to stay home. Only go out if absolutely necessary," Ford said, in part.
Feds likely didn't have enough protective gear in emergency stockpile: Hajdu
OTTAWA — Health Minister Patty Hajdu says the federal government likely did not have enough protective equipment in its emergency stockpile to meet needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. Hajdu tells a news conference today that federal governments have been underfunding public-health preparedness for decades. She says the government is working hard to procure scarce equipment at a time when officials around the world are doing the same. TheHajdu tells a news conference today that federal governments have been underfunding public-health preparedness for decades.
"Ignoring self-isolation or physical distancing advice can have devastating effects and endangers lives."
It will be the second emergency alert the province has sent out regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
On March 27, the government sent out an alert to cellphones, radios, and TVs notifying travellers returning to Ontario that they must self-isolate for 14 days.
It told them, “DO NOT visit stores, family or friends.”
Meanwhile, Ontario reported 375 new cases of coronavirus Saturday morning, including 27 deaths.
Ontario stops child-care centres from collecting payments amid COVID-19, protects spots .
The Ontario government has moved to stop child-care centres from collecting payments from parents while the facilities are closed during the COVID-19 pandemic. An emergency order issued Friday prevents child-care operators from charging parents fees while care is not being provided. An emergency order issued Friday prevents child-care operators from charging parents fees while care is not being provided.
Coronavirus outbreak: Ontario premier to release data from COVID-19 models on Friday | FULL
Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Thursday he would share data from models predicting the rate and spread of infection from the novel coronavirus, telling ...
Coronavirus outbreak: Trudeau, ministers repeat their warning to Canadians to stay at home | FULL
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says too many Canadians are still going on needless outings, potentially encouraging the spread of COVID-19. He says they're ...