•   
  •   
  •   

Canada ‘Smart distancing’ could prevent second wave of coronavirus in Ottawa, officials say

01:15  23 may  2020
01:15  23 may  2020 Source:   globalnews.ca

Coronavirus: Canadian police made 1,122 in-person quarantine checks in April

  Coronavirus: Canadian police made 1,122 in-person quarantine checks in April Police across Canada made more than a thousand 'physical verification' checks at the request of public health officials in April, Global News has learned.According to the RCMP -- which shares information with provincial and territorial police forces needed to make these checks in their jurisdictions -- the verifications were requested by the Public Health Agency of Canada.

The nation's top public health official warned Tuesday that a second wave of the novel coronavirus would likely coincide with the start of flu season and could overwhelm the health Luckily, the arrival of the novel coronavirus in the United States came as the regular flu season was waning, he said .

Around the world, cases of coronavirus are beginning to fall and countries are emerging out of lockdown. But while new infections in many countries are

Ottawa health officials say residents need not fear a second wave of the novel coronavirus if physical distancing and other health directives are still followed. © THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Niels Christian Vilmann/Ritzau Scanpix via AP Ottawa health officials say residents need not fear a second wave of the novel coronavirus if physical distancing and other health directives are still followed.

As infection rates of the novel coronavirus appear to creep up again across the rest of the province, Ottawa health officials say the nation’s capital can avoid a resurgence of COVID-19 hospitalizations if residents remain “smart” amid reopening measures.

Ottawa Public Health reported 17 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Friday afternoon, bringing the city’s total up to 1,885 heading into the weekend.

All 120 COVID-19 cases in New Brunswick have now recovered

  All 120 COVID-19 cases in New Brunswick have now recovered Health officials say as of Saturday, they do not believe there is an active case of the novel coronavirus in New Brunswick. On Friday the province conducted 319 tests, bringing the total of conducted tests in Nova Scotia to 20,032. READ MORE: How New Brunswick’s four-step plan to recover from COVID-19 works The province remains in the orange phase of its COVID-19 recovery plan.

OTTAWA — The likelihood Canadians will be told to stay at home during a second wave of coronavirus infections this fall will depend on © Provided by HuffPost Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau holds a press conference at Rideau Cottage amid the COVID-19 pandemic in Ottawa on

Europe should prepare for a second wave of coronavirus as it is likely inevitable since so few Dr Andrea Ammon said it was a question of “when” and on what scale a new wave of the disease will Officials have previously raised fears it could strike during winter at the same time as flu or measles

There were also nine more deaths related to the virus in the past 24 hours, raising Ottawa’s pandemic death toll to 220.

The number of people in hospital with COVID-19 stands at 44, with two patients in intensive care — down from 23 roughly five weeks ago.

READ MORE: Gatineau Park roads closing to motor vehicles under NCC’s Phase 2 reopening

 

But across Ontario, new daily case numbers have, overall, been steadily climbing over the past week with 441 new cases reported in the province on Friday.

Despite newly-relaxed guidelines encouraging anyone in Ontario with even mild symptoms to present for testing, the volume of tests across the province is down.

Dr. Doug Manuel, an epidemiologist with the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, told local media during a call Friday that the city has done an effective job in flattening the first wave of the virus locally, but the “credit” Ottawans earned through physical distancing in the past few months is “very tenuous.”

Western Quebec officials urge caution as checkpoints come down

  Western Quebec officials urge caution as checkpoints come down Officials in western Quebec are welcoming the relaxation of rules that restricted travel from Ontario — but are cautioning people to avoid unnecessary trips to the region. Police checkpoints set up at bridges and roadways leading from Ottawa into Gatineau come down today, as the Quebec government relaxes restrictions in place since April 1. Val-des-Monts, Que., Mayor Jacques Laurin said he initially agreed with the province's decision to blockPolice checkpoints set up at bridges and roadways leading from Ottawa into Gatineau come down today, as the Quebec government relaxes restrictions in place since April 1.

Today's coronavirus briefing was held by Home Secretary Priti Patel. She was joined by chief medical adviser Sir Patrick Vallance and Paul Lincoln, head Others could be refused entry if they are found to have provided false information Freight drivers, some medical professionals and foreign officials will

Federal health officials starkly warned on Tuesday that the new coronavirus will almost certainly In Iran, a spike in coronavirus infections — including to the top health official in charge of fighting But W.H.O. officials have also warned that the world is unprepared for a leap in infections, which could

Whether Ottawa faces a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic is not guaranteed, Manuel said — it relies fully on residents’ behaviour from this point forward.

With warmer weather and looser restrictions on outdoor parks and amenities in Ottawa, there might be a temptation in some residents to be less careful when it comes to public health directives such as physical distancing, handwashing and wearing a non-medical mask when in public.

Manuel coined a different term to describe how Ottawa residents ought to behave as retailers reopen and residents look to socialize in parks: “smart distancing.”

“The question is: How can we get back and move around without connecting physically?” he said.

“Can we go to the park, play soccer, but not be physically close? That’s the challenge.”

Dr. Vera Etches, Ottawa’s medical officer of health, noted that officials and residents alike are still learning to live with the virus in the community.

Etches said Friday that when Ottawa Public Health identifies a new case of the virus, it is now usually tracing contact with fewer than five people, usually within the individual’s household.

Back in March, OPH was contacting between 15 to 20 people per case.

Etches noted however that if the number of contacts per case rises by even 20 per cent, hospitalizations related to the virus in Ottawa are expected to increase again.

“We don’t have a lot of wiggle room if we’re not being smart,” Manuel said.

General Motors in Oshawa to produce 10 million masks for Canada, Trudeau says .
OTTAWA — The federal government will update Canadians today on the results of the mad scramble to procure personal protective equipment — just as demand is poised to skyrocket with more people returning to work and public health officials preparing for a potential second wave of COVID-19 infections. As of May 19, data posted by Public Services and Procurement Canada showed only a fraction of the millions of gloves, masks, face shields, ventilators and litres of hand sanitizer ordered by the federal government had so far been received.For example, of 29,570 ventilators ordered, only 203 had been received.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 0
This is interesting!