Canada Doctor connected to COVID-19 outbreak in Campbellton, N.B., suspended
Resident with COVID-19 left behind at Hamilton, Ont., retirement home
52 residents from the Rosslyn Retirement Residence were transferred to Hamilton hospitals between Friday afternoon and early Saturday morning. READ MORE: 2nd resident of The Rosslyn dies in hospital, marking Hamilton’s 28th coronavirus-related death Twenty-seven residents were taken to St. Joe’s Charlton campus and 25 residents were transferred to the General, according to public health. But a male resident was left behind in his room in the empty retirement home on King Street, near Gage Park, during the transfer and wasn't located until Saturday evening after the man's family called St. Joe's.
Global News has learned a doctor connected to the new cluster of COVID-19 cases northern New Brunswick has been suspended by the hospital where he worked.
Dr. Ed Schollenberg, the Registrar of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick, confirmed a male doctor is at the centre of the outbreak. He worked at Campbellton Regional Hospital, which is now closed to the public.
“I can’t talk about it,” Schollenberg said, in an email to Global News, when asked whether the College was exploring its own disciplinary action.
3 more Campbellton COVID-19 cases linked to doctor who didn't self-isolate
Three more COVID-19 cases in northern New Brunswick have been linked to a doctor at a hospital who contracted the coronavirus outside the province and didn't self-isolate when he returned. That brings the total cluster of cases in the Campbellton region to six, the chief medical officer of health announced Thursday. A second health-care worker is among the new cases, said Dr. Jennifer Russell. The new cases include a person under 19, someone inThat brings the total cluster of cases in the Campbellton region to six, the chief medical officer of health announced Thursday.
The government is scheduled to provide another COVID-19 update Friday at 2:30 p.m. AT.
As of Thursday, there are six cases of COVID-19 in Zone 5, which covers the Campbellton region.
The province said all six are connected to a medical professional who had travelled to Quebec earlier this month and did not self-isolate upon their return.
At a briefing Thursday, New Brunswick Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Jennifer Russell said she expects more cases in the coming days, adding that two of the six active cases are health care workers.
Through contact-tracing, the province and Vitalite Health Network are working to test about 150 people who may have had direct or indirect contact with the physician.
Premier Blaine Higgs said the RCMP is investigating whether charges against the doctor are warranted.
While most of the province sits in the third, "yellow" phase, of New Brunswick’s recovery plan, the Campbellton region has transitioned back to the "orange" phase in an effort to limit the new outbreak.
“The only reason we went back to orange in that case (was) because we have a lot of contact tracing to do… so being very aware and needing to close the hospital in the region right now,” said Russell.
No new cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick, Campbellton region remains orange .
The number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 136 and 121 have recovered.The number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 136 and 121 have recovered, including one related to the current outbreak in Zone 5 (Campbellton region), according to the province.