•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Defence Department accused of using pandemic to withhold info from Parliament

11:56  03 june  2020
11:56  03 june  2020 Source:   msn.com

Trudeau asks bank CEOs for views on economy, COVID-19 relief

  Trudeau asks bank CEOs for views on economy, COVID-19 relief Trudeau asks bank CEOs for views on economy, COVID-19 relief This was Trudeau's first one-on-one dialogue with the CEOs since the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak, according to the report, which added that the calls took place around the Victoria Day long weekend.

You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN The recent spasm of concern over how Parliament is or isn't functioning during this pandemic at least Beyond the fiercely contested particulars of this dispute — Conservatives have accused the Liberals

The pandemic later took on pneumonic characteristics and began spreading from person to person. The way we live, travel, and buy our food makes us more susceptible to pandemics than any time in They admit that the only reason they stopped using the virus name SARS-CoV-2 in favor of using

a man wearing a suit and tie smiling and looking at the camera © Provided by The Canadian Press

OTTAWA — The Department of National Defence stands accused of trying to take advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic to withhold information from Parliament and Canadians.

There has been widespread concern about federal departments failing to respond to access-to-information requests since the crisis first started in earnest in March, but the Opposition Conservatives say the problem is much worse at the Defence Department.

"By far National Defence is the worst offender," said Conservative defence critic James Bezan. "There seems to be a systemic breakdown in being transparent in the department, or there's intentional disregard for what Canadians have been requesting."

Recovery ship on its way to Cyclone helicopter crash scene in Ionian Sea

  Recovery ship on its way to Cyclone helicopter crash scene in Ionian Sea A specialized salvage ship carrying a combined Canadian and American military recovery team has departed Soudas Bay, Greece on a mission to retrieve the wreckage of a downed CH-148 Cyclone helicopter. In a statement issued Monday, the Department of National Defence said the EDT Hercules vessel is expected to take two days to arrive at the crash site, which is about 22 nautical miles east of Catania, Italy in the Ionian Sea. The helicopter — callIn a statement issued Monday, the Department of National Defence said the EDT Hercules vessel is expected to take two days to arrive at the crash site, which is about 22 nautical miles east of Catania, Italy in the Ionian Sea.

A policeman uses his baton to push a resident breaking rules, during an extended nationwide German Chancellor Angela Merkel, President of the German Parliament Bundestag Wolfgang The Syrian rebel group Jaish al-Islam accused the Assad government of using chemical weapons, with a

The Department of National Defence (DND; French: Ministère de la Défense nationale) is a Canadian government department responsible

The allegation stems from the department's failure in recent months to respond to a large number of questions on the order paper, which are one of the primary means for members of Parliament to get information about the inner workings of federal departments.

Departments have 45 days to respond to order paper questions, which include everything from the number of veterans receiving government-subsidized Viagra to how much the government spent on advertising to the number of RCMP officers by province.

Yet in more than a dozen recent requests, the Defence Department did not respond. One of those asked how many government ships had broken down in the last year. While the Canadian Coast Guard provided a response, the Defence Department did not.

March for racial justice fills downtown Ottawa

  March for racial justice fills downtown Ottawa Thousands of demonstrators chanting "I can't breathe" and "enough is enough" flooded through downtown Ottawa Friday afternoon, demanding an end to police brutality and anti-black racism. The No Peace Until Justice march was sparked by the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minn., last week. Floyd died May 25 after a police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes while arresting him. As they have across the United States and around the world, demonstrators in Ottawa are calling for an end to anti-black violence and police brutality. Ottawa's march began Friday at 3 p.m.

National responses to the COVID-19 pandemic have been varied, and have included containment measures such as lockdowns, quarantines, and curfews.

Transparency: Department of National Defence . Latest report tabled at Parliament related to National Defence

"During the unprecedented COVID-19 situation, public servants are required to work remotely and have limited access to the tools and files requested," the department wrote in response to a recent request by Conservative MP Lianne Rood.

Bezan also flagged concerns about testimony from parliamentary budget officer Yves Giroux to a House of Commons' committee last week about the watchdog's request for updated information on the government's plan to invest billions in new military kit.

"We were supposed to get the information on time to provide parliamentarians with an update," Giroux told the standing committee on government operations and estimates on Friday.

"May was the target date for us, but we didn't get the information on time. ... We were told it will be delayed by a couple of weeks, but we have not received it yet."

The Liberal government's defence policy unveiled in 2017 promised $553 billion in defence spending over the next two decades, though it has been slow in getting that money out the door.

Feds sign $105-million deal with Bombardier for two new Challenger jets

  Feds sign $105-million deal with Bombardier for two new Challenger jets OTTAWA — The federal Liberal government has inked a sole-source deal with Quebec aerospace firm Bombardier to purchase two new Challenger jets to replace half the Canadian Armed Forces' existing executive aircraft fleet. The $105-million contract follows recent warnings from defence officials that two of the military's four existing aircraft would no longer be allowed to fly in many countries within a few years because of outdated technology. ItThe $105-million contract follows recent warnings from defence officials that two of the military's four existing aircraft would no longer be allowed to fly in many countries within a few years because of outdated technology.

This article provides an overview of worldwide curfews, quarantines, and similar restrictions (known as stay-at-home orders, shelter-in-place orders, shutdowns/lockdowns)

An Italian lawmaker has managed to bring the conspiracy blame-game to an entirely new level, exercising her parliamentary privilege to blast Bill Gates as a “vaccine criminal” and globalist tool. Bill Gates and his latest anti-coronavirus efforts have been at the center of the wildest theories that

The Defence Department acknowledged it had failed to respond to 17 order paper questions in April and May and was unable to provide the information that Giroux asked to see about the planned defence spending, citing COVID-19 as the reason.

"Work on the request the PBO referred to has, in fact, been impacted by COVID-19 given the requirements for our analysts to work from secure systems inaccessible from home," Defence Department spokesman Daniel Le Bouthillier said an in email.

He went on to blame personnel having "limited access to certain records and databases" and "key military staff" being tasked with supporting the government's COVID-19 response for not responding to the order paper question.

At the same time, Le Bouthillier said officials did respond to 12 order paper questions while Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's office said officials helped the budget officer analyze the cost of the military's response to the COVID-19 pandemic in April.

"The Department of National Defence and the women and men of the Canadian Armed Forces have been working around the clock helping Canadians during this pandemic," Sajjan's spokesman, Todd Lane, said in a statement.

Canadian military to crack down on leaks of unclassified information after recent embarrassments to government

  Canadian military to crack down on leaks of unclassified information after recent embarrassments to government The Canadian Forces is going to crack down on leaks of unclassified information in the wake of the unauthorized release of details about the crash of a Cyclone helicopter and problems in Ontario long-term care homes. Details about the latest effort to hunt down and punish those who leak information was leaked to this newspaper. The Canadian Forces and senior Department of National Defence leadership are particularly upset by leaks over the last month that embarrassed either the Liberal government or military leaders.

The ministry argued that the State Department staffers seem to be “working their own program,” paying little attention to the signals coming from US President Donald Trump, who has recently greenlighted a shipment of 200 ventilators to Russia, the first 50 of which arrived in Moscow on Thursday.

Kissinger laments that the pandemic has led to the return of a “walled city” model of nationalist governance, suggesting that “exploration at the “Global trade and movement of people” are all well and good, but the pandemic has exposed the weaknesses of the globalist system like never before.

"Despite the challenges that the pandemic has posed, we remain committed to transparency and being accountable to Parliament."

Bezan nonetheless accused the government and department of failing to provide information to Canadians and parliamentarians, whose job is to hold the government to account.

"At the beginning (of the pandemic), I would say they had the right to make those decisions," he said. "But we're getting to a point now that this has become a government and Minister Sajjan, in particular, stonewalling the accountability aspect of his role."

If there are legitimate concerns, he added, efforts should be underway to install proper protocols and provide adequate safety equipment to let defence officials return to their offices and "fulfil the obligations the government has to Parliament."

Treasury Board President Jean-Yves Duclos, who is responsible for public access to government information, sent a letter to his cabinet colleagues last week reminding them of the need for transparency even during the COVID-19 pandemic

The message followed calls from information commissioner Caroline Maynard, the Canadian Association of Journalists and an ad-hoc accountability group for concrete actions to ensure transparency during the crisis.

Ukraine: Petro Poroshenko faces ten years in prison

 Ukraine: Petro Poroshenko faces ten years in prison He is said to have given a confidant a high position. Therefore, the former Ukrainian head of state Poroshenko could now be imprisoned for many years: the prosecutor's office is investigating. © Serg Glovny / dpa Petro Poroschenko, 54, faces up to ten years in prison. The prosecutor's office in Kiev is investigating the former president of Ukraine .

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 3, 2020.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

Video: Justice Minister Sonia LeBel on moving the justice system online (cbc.ca)

Morden: The House of Commons should sit in the summer as a hybrid Parliament – for democracy's sake .
It will be a long, quiet summer in Canada’s House of Commons. On May 26, the government adjourned the House until Sept. 21, with just a handful of one-day sittings scheduled in the summer. The Special COVID-19 Committee concludes in mid-June. Some other committees will meet remotely, but most won’t. It’s remarkable, at this critical juncture, that the government has permitted so few opportunities for scrutiny, and for the representation of Canadians’ experiences and views. Late September is a long way away, and ad-hoc sittings of the House—such as this week’s debates on a proposal to crack down on fraudulent CERB claims — aren’t cutting it.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 0
This is interesting!