•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Further lockdowns possible if COVID-19 cases continue to increase: Ford

14:17  18 september  2020
14:17  18 september  2020 Source:   msn.com

Silver lining? Cases of infectious diseases plunge amid anti-COVID measures

  Silver lining? Cases of infectious diseases plunge amid anti-COVID measures TORONTO — Lockdowns and other tough measures implemented to fight the COVID-19 pandemic have led to a dramatic decline in other infectious illnesses such as influenza and sexually transmitted infections, public health data suggest. While experts say delayed diagnoses likely contributed to the drop in reported cases, the numbers are nevertheless stark. For example, the normal incidence of influenza, which typically kills about 8,000 Canadians a year when combined with pneumonia, dropped suddenly in mid-March as anti-pandemic restrictions kept people at home and idled businesses.

The province reported 313 new cases of COVID - 19 on Monday, with nearly 80 per cent of them centred on three regions. Toronto reported 112 cases , Peel Region recorded 71 and 60 surfaced in Ottawa. Ford stressed that while a second wave is coming, Ontario residents can lessen its impact by

The province reported 313 new cases of COVID - 19 on Monday, with nearly 80 per cent of them centred on three regions. Toronto reported 112 cases , Peel Region recorded 71 and 60 surfaced in Ottawa. Ford stressed that while a second wave is coming, Ontario residents can lessen its impact by

Christine Elliott sitting at a table © Provided by The Canadian Press

TORONTO — Parts of Ontario could see another lockdown if the province cannot get a handle on increasing rates of COVID-19, Premier Doug Ford warned Monday as the government reported a daily increase of new cases not seen since early June.

Ford said the recent spike in virus rates over the past two weeks has his government concerned, conceding in his daily media update that he is considering closing down hard-hit areas.

COVID-19 case count increases in Manitoba; two more deaths reported

  COVID-19 case count increases in Manitoba; two more deaths reported WINNIPEG — Manitoba's chief public health officer says he's worried by an increase in COVID-19 cases in Winnipeg and that some people are going to many different locations while symptomatic. "It's concerning," Dr. Brent Roussin said Monday. The number of active cases in the capital city has almost tripled to more than 280 since the start of September. Sixteen of 22 new provincial cases reported Monday were in Winnipeg. The province identified several Winnipeg restaurants, bars and gyms as sites of possible exposures over the last week. There have also been cases in schools and from gatherings in homes.

The province reported 313 new cases of COVID - 19 on Monday, with nearly 80 per cent of them centred on three regions. Toronto reported 112 cases , Peel Region recorded 71 and 60 surfaced in Ottawa. Ford stressed that while a second wave is coming, Ontario residents can lessen its impact by

The province reported 313 new cases of COVID - 19 on Monday, with nearly 80 per cent of them centred on three regions. Toronto reported 112 cases , Peel Region recorded 71 and 60 surfaced in Ottawa. Ford stressed that while a second wave is coming, Ontario residents can lessen its impact by

The premier said the lockdowns would be regional, and not mirror the broad approach taken during the first wave of the virus in March.

"We will take every step necessary including further shutdowns," he said. "The second wave of COVID-19, it's a scenario that we've been preparing for all summer long."

The province reported 313 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, with nearly 80 per cent of them centred on three regions. Toronto reported 112 cases, Peel Region recorded 71 and 60 surfaced in Ottawa.

Ford stressed that while a second wave is coming, Ontario residents can lessen its impact by continuing to follow public health guidance. This includes avoiding social gatherings, which he said have contributed to the recent spike in new cases.

N.L. police officer charged with sexual assault while on duty takes the stand

  N.L. police officer charged with sexual assault while on duty takes the stand ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — A Newfoundland and Labrador police officer on trial for sexual assault took the stand this morning in a St. John's courtroom. Carl Douglas Snelgrove told the court he offered a 21-year-old woman a ride home in December 2014 only after it was clear she wasn't going away. The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary officer said she approached his police car in downtown St. John's and tried to open the front door. He also testified thatCarl Douglas Snelgrove told the court he offered a 21-year-old woman a ride home in December 2014 only after it was clear she wasn't going away.

The province reported 313 new cases of COVID - 19 on Monday, with nearly 80 per cent of them centred on three regions. Toronto reported 112 cases , Peel Region recorded 71 and 60 surfaced in Ottawa. Ford stressed that while a second wave is coming, Ontario residents can lessen its impact by

The province reported 313 new cases of COVID - 19 on Monday, with nearly 80 per cent of them centred on three regions. Toronto reported 112 cases , Peel Region recorded 71 and 60 surfaced in Ottawa. Ford stressed that while a second wave is coming, Ontario residents can lessen its impact by

"It's not the bars ... or the restaurants, it's social gatherings," he said. "So folks, I'm begging you. Please just cut out the social gatherings. It's just not worth it because this COVID is ramping up again."

Health Minister Christine Elliott said the province will unveil a new strategy to address COVID-19 this fall which will take into account flu season and current capacity challenges in both long-term care facilities and hospitals.

"I think it's fair to say that the second wave is going to be more complicated and more difficult to deal with than the first wave," she said.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said the province should have released the plan weeks ago.

"The reality is, we're staring down these over 300 (daily) cases now," she said. "Today, the government was saying we have a plan for a second wave, it's obviously a day short and more than a penny short. That's what we've seen thus far from this government."

COMMENTARY: John Horgan’s risky snap provincial election in B.C. will be watched closely

  COMMENTARY: John Horgan’s risky snap provincial election in B.C. will be watched closely The new MSN—your customizable collection of the best in news, sports, entertainment, money, weather, travel, health and lifestyle, combined with Outlook, Facebook, Twitter, Skype and more.

The province reported 313 new cases of COVID - 19 on Monday, with nearly 80 per cent of them centred on three regions. Toronto reported 112 cases , Peel Region recorded 71 and 60 surfaced in Ottawa. Ford stressed that while a second wave is coming, Ontario residents can lessen its impact by

Ford said the recent spike in virus rates over the past two weeks has his government concerned, conceding in his daily media update that he is "The second wave of COVID - 19 , it's a scenario that we've been preparing for all summer long." The province reported 313 new cases of COVID - 19 on

Ontario's associate chief medical officer of health urged people to remain vigilant when it comes to attending social gatherings.

Dr. Barbara Yaffe said she thinks there has been confusion about rules surrounding the gatherings of up to 50 people in indoor settings, adding that physical distance should be maintained and masks should be worn when it's not possible to remain two metres away from other attendees.

"We do understand how hard it has been on everyone these last few months," she said. "We know there is a desire to interact with your friends and family and those outside your social circle. But we are now seeing the effects of people being too casual."

The head of the province's hospital association also issued a warning on Monday that the increasing COVID-19 infection rates could plunge Ontario into a second lockdown.

Ontario Hospital Association president Anthony Dale said that infection rate increases in the three current hotspots could spread to the rest of the province if people don't respect public health guidelines.

Federal Conservatives make use of a COVID-19 test not sanctioned by Health Canada

  Federal Conservatives make use of a COVID-19 test not sanctioned by Health Canada The Ontario caucus of the federal Conservative Party made use of a COVID-19 serological test that has not yet been approved by Health Canada, according to Conservative MP Scot Davidson. Davidson, the Ontario caucus chair, said the caucus used the device "for safety" prior to a recent caucus retreat. COVID-19 cases are rising sharply in parts of the country, including Ontario, and party leader Erin O'Toole, his wife and at least one of hisDavidson, the Ontario caucus chair, said the caucus used the device "for safety" prior to a recent caucus retreat.

Premier Doug Ford says more regional lockdowns could be coming as the province reports a spike in COVID - 19 cases for the fourth consecutive day. Ford says the recent increases in virus rates is of concern and the government could take additional action to close down hard-hit areas of Ontario.

As cases of COVID - 19 continue to spread around the world, Canadians seem to be increasingly concerned about their health and safety. Asymptomatic testing is no longer available for those who don’t have any possible COVID - 19 symptoms or no known exposure.

Some Ontario residents have been lulled into a false sense of security and they must practise physical distancing, wear masks when required, and neither host nor attend unsafe gatherings and parties, he said.

"If current trends continue to accelerate, economic restrictions may tighten once more, and the school year for our children will be in jeopardy," Dale said in a statement.

Ontario reported two new cases of COVID-19 in schools, one in Mississauga and one in Pembroke, Ont., according to the government's website.

Four school boards also reported new cases of the novel coronavirus not posted on the government page. Halton District School Board had two new cases, according to its COVID-19 advisory page.

Meanwhile, politicians returned to Ontario's legislature for the fall session on Monday, with the Progressive Conservative house leader saying the government will focus on the impacts of COVID-19 on the economy, school reopenings and the health-care system.

Paul Calandra said Ontario's 2020-2021 budget — which was delayed by the pandemic — will be delivered on, or before, Nov. 15.

Calandra said the government is also leaving itself leeway in the legislative schedule in case it needs to introduce additional measures to address COVID-19 this fall.

'Ellen' Season 18 Premiere, the Apology Episode, Steady in Ratings From 2019 Start

  'Ellen' Season 18 Premiere, the Apology Episode, Steady in Ratings From 2019 Start "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" returned steady in TV ratings on Monday, the Season 18 premiere that will forever be better known as "the apology episode." Steady these days is a win. "Ellen" drew a 1.9 household rating, flat with the prior September's premiere. That was good enough to finish second to "The View" (a 2.7 rating). Also read: 12 Highest-Rated Broadcast TV Shows of Summer 2020 (Photos) "Ellen" was able to grow a bit year over year among adults 25 to 54, posting a 0.9 rating. That was up from a 0.8 last year. Daytime talk shows skew more towards women, and DeGeneres beat or tied the competition among those categories.

"We're seeing the (COVID-19 case) numbers are creeping up so if we get into a second wave, we want to be able to react quickly," Calandra said. "Should time be needed on the legislative schedule to pass bills, we're building that in."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 14, 2020.

Shawn Jeffords, The Canadian Press


Video: 'We're prepared for the worst,' Ontario health minister says (cbc.ca)

Reactions to the minority Liberal government's speech from the throne .
OTTAWA — "The prime minister had an opportunity to present a real plan to Canadians, and he didn't do that." — Candice Bergen, deputy Conservative leader --- "I'm not surprised that the Liberal government and Prime Minister Trudeau put out a lot of nice words in this speech. They're very good at doing that. They've done it in the past. But what they haven't been able to show is that they can back up those words with action." — NDP Leader Jagmeet— Candice Bergen, deputy Conservative leader

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 3
This is interesting!