Canada Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of killing 21 civilians in a missile attack
Nagorno Karabakh. Despite the truce, Armenians and Azerbaijanis accuse each other of new attacks
© BULENT KILIC / AFP Damage caused by the fighting in the town of Terter. The Nagorno Karabakh truce was to come into effect on Sunday. On Monday, Armenians and Azerbaijanis however accuse each other of new attacks. Armenians and Azerbaijani accused each other of new attacks on Monday, October 19 in the morning, an "humanitarian truce" supposed to come into force the day before still remaining a dead letter in the conflict in the separatist region of Nagorno Karabakh .
This attack, the second in two days, is the worst from a civilian toll in a month of fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh. Yerevan immediately denied this accusation from Baku.
accused, Wednesday, October 28, of having killed 21 people and injured dozens of others in missile fire targeting Barda, a region near Nagorno Karabakh, .
An AFP journalist in Barda saw destroyed shops and buildings, the ground strewn with debris, as residents gathered around to see the damage. Several charred cars were visible nearby, along with a pool of blood.
The Russian secret services accuse the United States of preparing a "revolution" in Moldova
© Copyright 2020, L'Obs The Russian intelligence accused this Tuesday, October 20 the United States of wanting to foment a revolution on the occasion of the presidential election of November 1 in Moldova, on the model of Belarus and Kyrgyzstan, currently shaken by popular movements. "The United States continues without restraint to interfere in the internal affairs of countries friendly to Moscow [...], today we see that the Americans orchestrate a revolutionary scenario for Moldova in November
Yerevan immediately denied carrying out the attack, the second in two days killing civilians in the Barda region, accusing Azerbaijani forces of having also shelled inhabited areas in Nagorno Karabakh.An aborted ceasefire
These two attacks and these mutual accusations come, supposed to be effective Monday but broken almost upon entry into force.
Hikmet Hajiyev, adviser to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliev, on Wednesday accused Armenian forces of firing "Smertch" rockets at Barda and of using cluster munitions to "inflict excessive injuries on civilians" .
According to the Azerbaijani Attorney General's office, this strike targeted a commercial and populated district, killing 21 civilians and injuring at least 70. On Tuesday, Baku had already accused Armenia of being responsible for the deaths of four civilians, including a two-year-old girl, in gunfire in the Barda region. A fifth died of his injuries Wednesday, according to the prosecutor.
Taliban attack: More than 30 security forces killed in Afghanistan
At least 34 security forces were killed in a Taliban attack in northern Afghanistan. The attack took place at night in the embattled province of Tachar, officials said on Wednesday. Dozens of Taliban fighters are said to have attacked parts of the province. © dpa Soldiers from a special unit of the Afghan national army take part in a celebration. (Symbol picture) Representatives of the Taliban and the government in Kabul started peace talks in Qatar in September.
These losses are the worst for civilians on the Azerbaijani side since the death of 13 people in bombings on October 17 on Gandja, the second city of the country.
President Ilham Aliev has sworn to "avenge" this attack via "reprisals on the battlefield". He also assured on Twitter that his army had captured 13 villages until then controlled by the Armenian forces."False and unfounded" accusations
A spokesperson for the Armenian Ministry of Defense, Chouchan Stepanian, immediately denounced the "false and unfounded" accusations. The day before, Yerevan had also denied Baku's "lies" .
On the other hand, Armenia claims that Azerbaijani forces shelled the towns of Martuni and Shusha in Nagorno Karabakh, killing one civilian and injuring two others.
Both sides reported continuing fighting in several areas of the front line in this mountainous region of the Caucasus, both claiming to be in control.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan threatens military strikes in Syria .
The attack by Turkish President Erdogan is directed against Russia. He accuses Moscow of not wanting lasting peace in Syria. It was triggered by an attack in the Idlib region earlier this week. © AP Photo / picture-alliance Erdogan and his anger in the Turkish parliament Recep Tayyip Erdogan criticizes the Russian air strike on rebels allied with Turkey in the northern Syrian province of Idlib on Monday.