Canada 'It's such a big loss': Sister says family in shock after brother killed in Quebec
Coronavirus live updates: Canada invests up to $173 million in made-in-Quebec vaccine
Check this post throughout the day on Friday, Oct. 23. Questions/comments: firstname.lastname@example.org Top updates Canada to invest up to $173 million in made-in-Quebec vaccine Hospitalizations drop as Quebec reports 905 new cases, 12 more deaths COVID-19 forces Le Château to seek creditor protection Opinion: My parents survived the Holocaust — I can get through a pandemic As workplace outbreaks flare, Quebec sends in more inspectors Subscribe to our nightly coronavirus newsletter 11:55 a.m.
Just hours after Marie-Jo Duchesne had shared laughs with her older brother, who'd been out hiking on a sunny Saturday in Quebec, the heartbreaking call came informing her of Francois Duchesne's death in Quebec City.
She received the news from a sibling.
"The police came to another one of my sisters' houses," she told The Canadian Press in an interview from her home in Paris.
Francois Duchesne, 56 was one of two people killed in the Halloween night sword attack in Quebec's capital that police said targeted random strangers.
Hairdresser Suzanne Clermont, 61, was the other victim. Five people were also injured, though they are all expected to survive.
Corbella: There are no sins of Trudeau's father on the War Measures Act
Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet wants Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to make a formal apology for his father invoking the War Measures Act 50 years ago this month. Pierre Trudeau did many things wrong during his 15-year tenure as prime minister from 1968 to 1984 (with just a brief time in opposition) but suspending civil liberties for a short period of time to deal with murderous terrorists wasn’t one of them. Context is needed to Pierre Trudeau did many things wrong during his 15-year tenure as prime minister from 1968 to 1984 (with just a brief time in opposition) but suspending civil liberties for a short period of time to deal with murderous terrorists wasn’t one of them.
Duchesne described Francois as a "lovely brother" who was her confidante and best friend and was always there for her when she needed him.
"We are -- we were -- five kids raised by a courageous mother," she said. "We are very tight-knit despite the distance for me in Paris and for my other brother, who lives in B.C."
She said that on Saturday, shortly before he was killed, she had a FaceTime call with her brother and her 19-year-old son who lives in the Netherlands, where he goes to university.
"We talked a lot and cried a lot," she said. "He was really close with his 10 nieces and nephews," she added, her voice breaking with emotion. "He was smiling, he was happy, and he was the brother I love."
Now the family is in shock.
Duchesne doesn't know all the details of the attack but noted that Francois had been walking home in a city that he loved when it happened. "I have no other words. It's such a big loss," she said.
Quebec City stabbing suspect attacked victims at random, police say
A 24-year-old man was arrested early Sunday morning in the historic district of Quebec City after two people were stabbed to death and five were injured by a man police say was dressed in a medieval outfit and brandishing a sword. Police were called to the area shortly before 10:30 p.m. Saturday — on Halloween — and discovered victims in at least four locations, including near the Château Frontenac hotel, on du Trésor Street, and on des RempartsPolice were called to the area shortly before 10:30 p.m. Saturday — on Halloween — and discovered victims in at least four locations, including near the Château Frontenac hotel, on du Trésor Street, and on des Remparts Street, according to Radio-Canada.
Quebec City police chief Robert Pigeon said the murder suspect had been dressed in "medieval" clothing and swung a katana-like sword at randomly chosen victims. Police raced to the scene around 10:30 Saturday night and then chased a suspect through the narrow streets of Old Quebec, arresting him shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday.
Carl Girouard has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and five of attempted murder. The identities of the five people injured in the attack are protected by a publication ban.
The horror of Saturday night's events also set in at the Musee National des Beaux-Arts du Quebec, where Francois Duchesne was director of communications and marketing.
In a statement Monday, museum director general Jean-Luc Murray described Duchesne as a radiant and positive man who will be remembered in a vigil outside the museum Tuesday night.
"Among the things that I am always going to remember is Francois' gift to live each day, each hour, each second to the fullest," Murray said. "He always chose to see the good side of everything, every situation, every person. . . . He gave his time to make his community better."
Marie-Jo Duchesne and her family have been keeping in touch by phone as she tries to arrange travel to Quebec, which is difficult these days because of the pandemic.
"Quebec is so far away right now," she said.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 2, 2020.
-- With files from Sidhartha Banerjee in Quebec City, Jillian Kestler-D'Amours in Montreal and Tara Deschamps in Toronto.
Hina Alam, The Canadian Press
Sovereignty movement delighted by Macron's direct contact with Quebec .
QUEBEC — The province’s sovereignty leaders are delighted that French President Emmanuel Macron has chosen to go over Ottawa’s head and converse directly with Premier François Legault . “It’s a very good thing,” Parti Québécois parliamentary leader Pascal Bérubé told reporters Wednesday. “It shows again the continuous disconnection between the rest of Canada and Quebec. “You can’t imagine the satisfaction I got when a position we (Quebec) adopted on freedom of expression is recognized in France and that our French allies of many centuries say this is what unites us, ideals that we share. “It was a great pleasure. It’s something you can get used to.